Zesty and flavorful this is the perfect recipe for this week!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder or chili powder
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups red lentils (14 ounces)
Tofutti sour cream or plain yogurt, lemon wedges and warm pita, for serving
- In a large pot, melt the margarine. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander and chile powder and cook until fragrant, 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook just until softened, 2 minutes. Add the lentils and 8 cups of water and season with salt. Simmer over moderately low heat until the lentils are very soft, 30 minutes.
Working in batches, puree the soup. Season with salt and serve with yogurt, lemon wedges and warm pita.
Want to try another red lentil soup? Red Lentil and Apricot Soup is smooth, a little sweeter and flavored with cumin.
By Emuna Braverman and Elizabeth Kurtz, of www.gourmetkoshercooking.com
www.gourmetkoshercooking.com is a new and exciting site where you will find over 900 great kosher recipes – with particular emphasis on ideas for Shabbos and holidays, the best new kosher products, gorgeous table top decor, articles on kosher wine and healthy eating, featured giveaways, travel, cooking with kids and much more. Content is updated weekly so visit us often. Your family will be glad you did!