1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 – 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 x 0 = ?

Home Forums Yeshiva / School / College / Education Issues 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 – 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 x 0 = ?

Viewing 44 posts - 101 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    👑RebYidd23
    Participant

That’s not beauty. That is why I hate math, always hated it, always will, and if I was born again I’d still hate it. Also, I canceled PEMDAS so it is no longer in effect.

ari-free
    Participant

OK but there’s just one problem. Now that you messed up all of math, Shabbos started 5 hours ago and tomorrow is Wednesday.

oomis
    Participant

Did I just misspell PERCEIVE?

Miriam377
    Participant

Teacher? PLEASE EXCUSE MY DEAR AUNT SALLY. I’m sure she didn’t mean it.

ubiquitin
    Participant

Nope oomis, that was all me.

Please don’t let that distract from the crux of my point though.

In fact perhaps it can add:

I cant just reply well “It depends on how you perceive the fifth and sixth letters of the word” Spelling, like math, has rules. and “percieve” is simply wrong; much as any response other than 14 is simply wrong as a solution to the OP’s problem.

ari-free
    Participant

Don’t feel so bad everyone. The Phantom Tollbooth also gets it wrong on page 188.

oomis
    Participant

I am SOOOOOOOO confused now!

haifagirl
    Participant

I can’t believe you’re still debating this. Go open up any math book. You people do know what books are, don’t you?

Forget algebra. (Where does it come in? There are no missing figures? I believe that algebra is only used trying to find out a missing figure.) Using the most basic and simple way to do math, because there are no parenthesis PEMDAS would not be used and the answer be 0.

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

No, PEMDAS works this way: If you want the order to follow PEMDAS, write PEMDAS before anything else: PEMDAS 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 – 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 x 0 = ?. If not, write just plain 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 – 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 x 0 = ?.

my own kind of jew
    Participant

PEMDAS is a rule for mathematics whether it’s written there or not.

Only following that when it says PEMDAS there would be the same as only making a brocha on food if the food was labeled with “brocha”

ari-free
    Participant

notwhouthinkiam That’s like saying if you have a book without a table of contents, go back to the end of the book and read backwards to the beginning.

Ari-free, a book is made to read from beginning to end. (you dont really need a table of contents.) In mathematics, there are different ways how to get a solution to different kinds of problems, but you could ony use that formula if its in the right situation. And since there are no parenthesis then you would just go on to do the problem the regular way.

ari-free
    Participant

Since there are no parentheses you multiply first. That is what ORDER of operations MEANS.

IvduEsHashemBsimcha
    Participant

Summary of things which people don’t understand about this question:

1) Pemdas applies WHETHER IT’S WRITTEN OR NOT!

2) In Pemdas, add/subtract is one group and multiply/divide is one group. Within a group, you do whatever one comes first, left to right.

3) There are no parentheses in this problem. Therefore, the 0 only works on one of the 1s (and the answer is not 0).

4) There is a “-1” hidden in there, which many mistook for a “+1”, leading to the false answer of 16.

5) If you plug it in number-by-number on a calculator (ex: 1+1=? +1=? +1=? , etc.), of course you won’t get 14, because the calculator can’t retroactively multiply the 0 and 1 before everything else. If, however, you put the whole problem into a graphing calculator, or even Google it, you will get 14.

All of these things have been mentioned before on this thread. There is NO correct answer other than 14.

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

PEMDAS was a rule for mathematics.

ari-free
    Participant

PEMDAS is just a cute way to help you remember the rules. Like SOA CAH TOA for trig identities.

the answer is 0. everything x0 =0!

IvduEsHashemBsimcha
    Participant

n.l.n.s.h. :

You are right that anything times zero equals zero.

However,

Since the rule of Pemdas says that you multiply/divide before you add/subtract, the first step is to multiply the last 1 times 0. That equals zero. However, you still have a bunch of other 1s, which you add/subtract.

THE ANSWER WILL NOT BE 0 BECAUSE ONLY ONE 1 IS x0!!!

Copy and paste it into Google. The answer is 14.

ari-free
    Participant

The reason why this is hard for people is because while they aren’t mathematicians, they use calculators and cash registers to add things up as they come, all the time. “I have $1. I make $1 and I add it up. Then I spend one dollar and I subtract 1. Eventually it looks like 1+1-1+1+1…” They don’t wait; they calculate right away.

IvduEsHashemBsimcha
    Participant

Mods, don’t you think it’s time to choose this thread? I’d have thought three pages was enough for a simple arithmetic problem. There is nothing to add, and people who still don’t understand should keep looking at the explanatory posts already there.

This is an embarrassment. The answer is 14. Period.

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

That’s not true. Some human made up PEMDAS, and I undid that.

math is against my religion, because venishmartem meod linafshosechem:)

ari-free
    Participant

Well, there is a mitzva to know that Hashem is echad and if you think echad means 2 or 3 because you just undid math…please check out the AZ thread.

frumnotyeshivish
    Participant

Isn’t this fun, people? Everyone’s opinion is valid. Majority wins with compromise. Democracy. The average answer is around 9. What, no one will compromise? A bunch of partisan fundamentalists here…

ari-free
    Participant

Isn’t that the problem with Chrishianity? They believe 1+1+1 =1

ari-free
    Participant

OK here’s a problem to see how good everyone is with this business

Here I have

1 + 2 + 3 – 4 + 5 + 6

Your job is to add parentheses () to the expression in order to get the smallest possible sum and tell me what it is!

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

(1+2+3)-(4+5+6)=-9

frumnotyeshivish
    Participant

(1 + 2) (+ 3) (- 4) (+ 5) (+ 6) = -1080

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

lol

Malbim

DaasYochid, it equals u.

helloyidden

ubiquitin
    Participant

Ah fond memories

The thread that first got me hooked on coffee (room)

I just reread it. IT still boggles my mind how some posters were still arguing and insisting all sorts of responses were correct (other than 14) even after this 5th grade math problem was explained.

Yserbius123
    Participant

That’s why, despite being a Galcianer, I use Reverse Polish Notation.

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 x + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Hashemisreading
    Participant

ubiquitin
    Participant

So apparently it isn’t just coffee room readers struggling wit elementary school math

This problem:

8÷2(2+2) = ?

Seems to be confusing people, with one silly website claiming the problem “Baffles Mathematicians, Physicists”

when of course it doesn’t, if you follow the rules there is only one answer it isn’t ambiguous and there is no debate

I post this as it brought back fond memories of the post that first got me addicted to the magical place that is the coffee room, where people can argue over basic facts

(The answer of course is 16 and only 16 no other answer is correct or partially correct)

Yserbius123
    Participant

@ubiquitin the problem with “8÷2(2+2) =” is the inconsistent notation. In general when you use x(y) to multiply, you will use a bar to divide, “8/2(2+2)” which makes it a lot clearer that “2(2+2)” is the denominator and “8” is the numerator.

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Right ubiq

Pemdas working from left to right

Reb Eliezer
    Participant

8/(2(2+2)) = 8 / 2(4) = 8/8 =1

Reb Eliezer
    Participant

DY, 6-15 = -9

Reb Eliezer
    Participant

DY, yours ia -9 and ari-free’s problem is 9.

ubiquitin
    Participant

Yserbius
    a. “in general when you use x(y) to multiply, you will use a bar to divide”
    I hear, but eh that isnt a real rule
    b. ““8/2(2+2)” which makes it a lot clearer that “2(2+2)” is the denominator and “8” is the numerator”
    the reverse is true. the way you wrote it is ambiguous and I could hear either way. the way I wrote it is crystal clear with no room for ambiguity

—— = ?
    2(2+2)

would equal 1 (hopefully that formatting doesnt get messed up
    At any rate the mistake facing most people i not the issue facing most people online, though I do hear were ou are coming from, most people online either dont appreciate the order of operations, OR think multiplication always precedes division (peMDas)
    scroll through this thread, where the ambiguities you mentioned arent an issue

Laskern, you are sticking in extra parenthesis that arent there .
    8/(2(2+2)) = 1 correct
    but the way it was written : 8÷2(2+2) = 8÷2(4) = 4(4) = 16

Meno
    Participant

All of these things are stupid. If you want to write something meaningful, write it clearly in a way that doesn’t require the reader to use arbitrary conventions to interpret it correctly.

ubiquitin
    Participant

Meno

What do you mean by “arbitrary conventions” all of math involves “arbitrary conventions” how do you know what the + in “1+2” means? I think it should mean to the power of and the answer is 1 my friend thinks it should mean multiplication, or maybe it should mean put the numbers next to each other but in reverse order so the answer is 21

Viewing 44 posts - 101 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.