8 Things Not to Keep in Your Wallet

Home Forums Litoeles H'rabim! 8 Things Not to Keep in Your Wallet

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SayIDidIt™
    Participant

And with every new bank slip that bulges from the seams, your personal information is getting less and less safe. With just your name and Social Security number, identity thieves can open new credit accounts and make costly purchases in your name. If they can get their hands on (and doctor) a government-issued photo ID, they can do even more damage, such as opening new bank accounts. These days, con artists are even profiting from tax-return fraud and health-care fraud, all with stolen IDs.

We talked with consumer-protection advocates to identify the eight things you should purge from your wallet immediately to limit your risk in case your wallet is lost or stolen.

Your nine-digit Social Security number is all a savvy ID thief needs to open new credit card accounts or loans in your name. ID-theft experts say your Social Security card is the absolute worst item to carry around.

Retirees, pull out your Medicare card, too, because it has your SSN on it. Instead: Photocopy your Medicare card (front and back), black out the last four digits of your SSN on the copy, and carry it with you instead of your real card.

2. Password Cheat Sheet

The average American uses at least seven different passwords (and probably should use even more to avoid repeating them on multiple sites/accounts). Ideally, each of those passwords should be a unique combination of letters, numbers, and symbols, and you should change them regularly. Is it any wonder we need help keeping track of them all?

Instead: If you have to keep passwords jotted down somewhere, keep them in a locked box in your house. Or consider an encrypted mobile app, such as SplashID ($9.95; Android, Blackberry, iPad, iPhone), Password Safe Pro (free, Android only) or Pocket (free, Android only).

3. Spare Keys

4. Checks

Instead: Only carry paper checks when you will absolutely need them. And leave the checkbook at home, bringing only the exact amount of checks you anticipate needing that day.

5. Passport

6. Multiple Credit Cards

7. Birth Certificate

8. A Stack of Receipts

—-

SiDi™

oomis
    Participant

Thank you for this timely post.

YW Moderator-42

Can I keep chocolate frog cards in my wallet?

Brony
    Participant

Ayyo,

I have a PROBLEM

on this front:

my AMEX BLACK CARD

weighs down whichever

side of my pants

I keep it on.

SUGGESTIONS?

ZeesKite
    Participant

With a bigger screen you can fit everything on one line

SayIDidIt™
    Participant

42, I wouldn’t advice it. 1, in the summer, the cards will melt and you’ll have a very messy wallet (and pocket)! And 2, when the fog starts croaking, you might have some explaining to do! But you can always say its your new ringtone and then pull out your wallet and start talking into it. And while your “talking”, you can lick all the chocolate thats oozing out!!Solvd both problems!!!

SiDi™

kapusta
    Participant

+1, ZK

*kapusta*

TheMusicMan
    Participant

Can I keep a walrus in there?

Brony,

A guy such as you should not have anything in his pocket

It throws of the symmetry of the front of your pants.

I doubt that the pockets on the pants you wear are even designed to open anyway.

Suggestion.. get an over the shoulder wallet. It’s not a purse, its European!

Chortkov
    Participant

Brony – is there any special reason

you

type

this?

Because

it

is

annoying

!

!

!

Can I keep my YWN-CR Trading Cards™ in my wallet?

H

o

w

a

b

o

u

t

m

y

Y

e

s

h

i

v

a

W

o

r

l

d

p

a

s

s

w

o

r

d

cherrybim
    Participant

Concerning the things not to keep in your wallet; you left out the most important of all- your money…too risky.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.