Dating During the 9 Days

Home Forums Shidduchim Dating During the 9 Days

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    shaindel

its hard to date during the 9 days!

oomis
    Participant

Why – you can’t go out for pizza?

shaindel

nooo they have beards….

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

it’s not hard. you shave, take a shower, polish your shoes and go. If its not the first couple dates, don’t shave. If you never shave in general, also don’t shave just because I said to.

Some people think you should polish your shoes before the shower. This is a good idea.

tzuras hayid

blinky
    Participant

Why is it really that bad?

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

beards? that’s awful.

popa would never date someone who had a beard.

aries2756
    Participant

This is a real nisayon because you have to depend on your brain and your vocabulary. You really have to talk instead of going out to places. Well what kind of places do you normally go to? If you are worried about background music I don’t think that is a problem because you are not going there to davka listen to music. There are plenty of milchig places to eat or you can go to a fleishig place and eat fish, so that is not a problem. You can still go bowling or to ESPN, so that’s not a problem, so what is exactly the problem? You are allowed to shower and wear clean clothes to date and I am sure that you can shave if you are on a first date or that YOU as the girl can understand that a young man has a 3 week beard.

What exactly is the hardship?

myfriend

What heter is there for background music? Never heard of any.

ESPN I wouldn’t go to ANY time of the year.

And whoever permitted shaving? (A cold shower is okay.)

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

“and whoever permitted shaving?”

Why must you accuse people of shaving with no heter?

myfriend

Dearest popa: A question is not an accusation. Ah gutte nacht.

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

I must have misread the emphasis. sorry

every girl understands that one cant’ shave. What’s the problem?

What’s so much more difficult than any other time of year, besides no hot showers, and fresh clothes? am i missing something?

aries2756
    Participant

myfriend, just because YOU haven’t heard of any doesn’t mean it is not so. Ask your LOR. And make sure you don’t go into any drug stores, cabs, elevators, dentists, doctor’s offices, etc. They all have background music.

myfriend

Who said otherwise aries? So aries, WHO permits it? Is it something you would LIKE to be permissible, or someone you can source?

And if it is inconvenient for you to skip the stores, elevators, etc. that has background music, that does NOT make the forbidden permissible.

aries2756
    Participant

If it is easier for you skip the stores, elevators, cabs and any place that MIGHT by chance play music during the 3 weeks than understand that it might not be assur to go in because you are not going in to listen to music.

EDITED

kapusta
    Participant

I’m gonna add my two sense in a place where I shouldn’t but I do remember hearing that if someone is listening to the news and there is background music of some sort, its not a problem. (I would think because no one turns on the news to listen to the music in the background.)

Good Shabbos everyone!

*kapusta*

HaQer

The whole music during the 3 weeks thing is a minhag to show aveilus. Some even listen to recorded music. The point is not to be happy. Music that might cause you to dance is the real issur. Elevator music does not fall into this category. Perhaps we shouldn’t go in elevators all year because they might play goyish music!

From what I heard, it is completely mutar to shower, wear clean clothes and shave for a date during the 9 days if it necessary for occasion (first date, etc)

Max Well

But it needs to be a cold shower.

And which frum girl doesn’t know about not shaving during the 9 days?? That is surely not ever necessary.

HaQer

It doesn’t matter that she knows about shaving during nine days. It is a matter of first impressions. As you can see from the OP, girls know about the problem of shaving and yet still have an issue with it. First impressions are very important when it comes to dating. You can make all kinds of excuses that she should be able to tolerate the beard, she should be able to imagine what you look like without it, but lemayseh, the way she sees you the first time does make a big difference, and therefore many Rabbonim will matter shaving for a date.

Max Well

Can you name a reliable posek who matirs it? (Of course everyone should ask there own posek, but I’ve never heard any matir it.)

HaQer

R’ Moshe Feinstein ZTL mattirs shaving as discussed in the Beard thread.

Many chashuv yeshivos require their bachurim to shave year-round (not during sefira and 3 weeks). I have heard that some of these same yeshivos will mattir (and even recommend) shaving during 3 weeks and sefira for first dates in order to make a good first impression. (I don’t know if this extends to 9 days or shavua shechal bo)

gregaaron

Other than for Chofetz Chaim boys and possibly MO, I have never heard of any heter to shave for a date during the 3 weeks. Trust me, I wish there was one…

aries2756
    Participant

Again, just because a person has not HEARD of it does not mean it doesn’t exist. Ask your LOR. The post just above yours gregaaron states that Reb Moshe Z”TL maatir’d it. So you didn’t do enough research.

Max Well

HaQer: Rav Moshe discussed in the beards thread is regarding during the whole year, not the 3 weeks. And you still haven’t cited any particular R”Y or recognized posek. “Have heard” simply doesn’t “cut it”.

gregaaron

Aries –

I’m pretty sure the R’ Moshe p’sak is talking about year round, not Sefirah or the 3 weeks. I’m not saying no one says it’s okay, but we don’t go heter-shopping.

aries2756
    Participant

Gregaron, NO we don’t go heter shopping, depending on our situation we ask OUR Rav what to do and we don’t look for advice on the internet, we also don’t go by what others tell us they know or don’t know.

yossi z.

Somebody should call harav yisrael belsky

Ask a Rav about shaving, etc. for dating during the 9 days.

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

My rav was matir me to shave for early dates during sefira and the three weeks. I’m not posting his name.

The point is though, why are you sitting and bickering on this thread? If you want to know if poskim are matir, call a few. Most of the American poskim speak English and should be able to communicate with you (if you speak English).

While you’re on the phone with them, ask them if girls are allowed to congregate in the street, why beer doesn’t need a hechsher, if you should get lap-band surgery, what bracha to make on pizza, if fish are muttar, if the internet is muttar, and for a good question to post on my yoreh deah choshen mishpat thread.

yossi z.

But that would ruin a good conversation with facts…..

Helpful

Is the suggestion to close the CR and all questions be directed to a posek only, and no one offer or discuss halachic insights online?

SJSinNYC

If its for a first date, why not postpone it until after Tisha Bav?

In my MO shul, the men who have no reason to shave (the ones who don’t work in high powered law firms and such) don’t shave.

Helpful- That is an excellent idea. Except that it will not necessitate closing the CR. We can always talk about trivial things like Sefer Tehillim Worldwide Daily, Pre Tisha Ba’av News: 50% yearn for Mikdash; Lechem HaPanim Ready!, Board Games, Air Conditioner Repairman, Lap-Band Surgery, Bungalow Colonies / Summer Vacation Problems, Help the Saneygor!, Kneidelach for Shabos Kodesh, Screen Names, Diabetes Support Group, Saddest Moving Cantata, Dating During the 9 Days, Cancer Survivor Stories, What is the biggest Chesed that anyone has ever done for you?, passaic whooping 12% property tax increase!!! outside help needed!!, Bunion Surgery, What Is A Young Israel?

aries2756
    Participant

popa, but what would we yenta about and who would we judge?

frimet98

So I have to take a cold shower before my date tomorrow night? Brr.

ari-free
    Participant

Think of it like…going to the Arizal’s mikva in Israel

Participant

Think of it like…going to the Arizal’s mikva in Israel in Tzfas, especially this coming Friday on his 442nd Johrzeit, when it shall be very crowded.

Meanwhile, when the rest of us are focused on rebuilding of 3rd Bais haMikdosh, what an opportune time to go on a date & work on building our own Mikdosh Me’at.

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

Frimet:

1. You’re 16. You shouldn’t be dating

2. Cold shower means not hot. But I assume your rav is ok with mixing in hot water so that it is only room temperature or so, but not freezing. Ask.

nystatetrooper
    Participant

Just b mature about it so you’ll go out with a guy who has beard if it comforts but to hear it will be off within 8 days ( btw I’m also 16 frimet98)

eman
    Participant

I asked a shailoh about shaving for a date during sefirah, and my Rebbe told me that if the girl has a problem with you being unshaven during sefirah, she is not the right girl for you.

ironpenguin

Many girls are anxiously waiting for the phone to ring and would be happy to go out at any time. Instead of whining that guys come hairier and you can’t go to Dougie’s, be happy that you are spending time with someone who is considering marrying you.

And guys are hairy, that’s just the way they come, clean shaven is unnatural for them.

Besides, it’s easier to go to milchig places, food is neat and pretty and occasionly cheaper.

Have fun! And you can still get engaged on Tisha B’av to save on L’chaim cake!

Came upon this thread, I don’t recognize practically anyone here!!!!

I personally do room temperature…

frimet and mystatetrooper: me too!!! Go sweet 16

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.