The nation is honoring its men and women in uniform this Veterans Day, especially those who died while serving the country.
The 90th annual Veterans Day Parade in NYC steps off at 11:00AM on Fifth Avenue at 25th Street and ends on 56th Street.
The parade will feature 20,000 marchers, including veterans, civic and youth groups and more than 3,000 men and women on active-duty. A 21-gun salute and a military flyover are scheduled during the parade.
As part of the Veterans Day Parade, a 21-gun salute and a military flyover featuring two military helicopters are scheduled to occur. The city sent out a public reminder about the flyover so people wouldn’t be alarmed. In April, a low-flying photo shoot by a presidential plane did just that.
The sight of a jet and a fighter plane whizzing past the Statue of Liberty and the financial district sent panicked lower Manhattan office workers streaming into the streets.
Both Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Governor David Paterson are expected to deliver speeches and march in the parade.
There will be street closures in the area from 8:00AM to 3:00PM.
Meanwhile, President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, will host a Veterans Day breakfast in the East Room before traveling to Arlington National Cemetery.
Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, will join them at both events.
At Arlington, the president will help with the wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns. He will then deliver remarks at the cemetery’s Memorial Amphitheater.
Veterans Day Closings/Changes
In observance of Veterans Day, the following changes will be in effect:
– All federal, state, and city buildings – including public schools – are closed
– No regular mail delivery and all post offices are closed, with the exception of the main office on 33rd Street and Eighth Avenue
– Banks have the option to close
– Street cleaning/alternate-side parking rules are suspended; meters still need to be fed
– No garbage and recycling pickup
– Alternate Side Parking Rules Suspended Wednesday.
(YWN Desk / NY1 / NYC.gov)