Monday News Briefs from Eretz Yisrael
· The IDF arrested 37 Hamas terrorists in Operation Brothers Return during the night.
· An arrest was made in the investigation into the erev Pesach murder of senior Israel Police Officer Baruch Mizrachi. Yomam commando troops surrounded the terrorist’s Hebron home.
· Education Minister Rabbi Shai Piron has established a committee to address overcrowding in the nation’s classrooms.
· A Syrian human rights organization reports 10 Syrian soldiers were killed in IAF retaliatory ...
Tuesday Morning News Briefs from Eretz Yisrael
· 15 senior officials at the Port of Ashdod have been arrested on suspicion of bribery and money laundering.
· Three residents of Yitzhar have been arrested in connection with alleged price tag crimes. A gag order has been placed on their identities.
· Rav Pinto will be giving testimony this morning in the bribery case involving Israel Police Commanders Bracha and Arbiv.
· IDF soldiers taking part in counter-terrorism operations throughout Yehuda and Shomron arrested 14 suspects ...
HaGaon HaRav Boaron Released from Shaare Zedek Hospital
HaGaon HaRav Tzion Boaron has been released from Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Yerushalayim.
According to the Shas weekly Yom L’Yom, the rav was released to rest in his Beit Yisrael neighborhood home “but still has problems with kidney functions”. The tzibur is urged to continue being mispallel for
ר' ציון בן זינה בתוך כל חולי ישראל
(YWN – Israel Desk, Jerusalem)
Bomb Detonated Against IDF Patrol Along Gaza Border
A bomb was detonated against a routine armored patrol operating along the southern Gaza border on Sunday afternoon, erev the 7th day of Pesach. The attack is part of a recent increase in terrorist activities against Israel emanating from Gaza. B’chasdei Hashem there were no reports of loss of life or injuries in the bomb attack.
(YWN – Israel Desk, Jerusalem)
Arabs Burn Memorial to Terror Victim Gilad Zar HY"D
The Shomron memorial near Gilad Farm for slain security officer Gilad Zar HY”D, near Gilad Farm, was vandalized by Arabs. Iti, a brother of the late Shomron resident and founder of Gilad Farm told the media “this is the way of our enemy, the murderous Arabs. Then they burn matzeivos. I believe security forces will apprehend those responsible.
Shomron Regional Council head Gershon Mesika expressed outrage and disgust at the vandal, question what kind of people see fit to target a memorial ...
IDF Vehicle Struck by a Bullet Fired from Sinai
A bullet fired at smugglers in Egypt by Egyptian security forces on Sunday evening, erev 7th Day Pesach, passed the border and struck an IDF vehicle. The gunfire was directed at smugglers in an effort to prevent them from crossing into Israel. B’chasdei Hashem there was no loss of life or injuries.
When the exchange of gunfire between Egyptian forces and smugglers was reported, IDF troops were sent to the area. That is when the vehicle was struck by a bullet.
(YWN – Israel Desk, ...
Thursday AM News Briefs from Eretz Yisrael
· Ichud Hatzalah: A Jerusalem municipal gardener is in moderate condition after being struck in his head with a branch from a tree he was pruning.
· The IDF is fortifying its ground, artillery and aerial forces along the border to Syria, particularly in the Har Dov area.
· Another state compelled expulsion of homes in Migron is in the planning.
· Authorities recovered a M-16 assault rifle in the home of an Anata resident. The 44-year-old resident was arrested.
· The smell of ...
Wednesday AM News Briefs from Eretz Yisrael
· Officials at Rambam Medical Center report there is no change in the condition of the soldiers wounded in the northern border bomb attack on Tuesday.
· The IDF deploys armored vehicles in the Har Dov area to fortify the presence along the border with Syria.
· IDF soldiers taking part in counter-terrorism operations throughout Yehuda and Shomron arrested nine suspects during the night.
· IDF training exercise taking place today north of the Kinneret.
· An 18-year-old male was ...
Tuesday Afternoon/Evening News Briefs from Israel
· Sirens sounded in the Ashkelon Coast Regional Council. Officials reported it was a false alarm. There were sirens on Shushan Purim in the Eshkol Regional Council, also reportedly a false alarm.
· Beit El residents protested on Tuesday afternoon outside Shai (Shomron-Yehuda Police HQ expressing concerns of a deteriorating security situation in the area of their community amid shooting and firebomb attacks from nearby Jalazoun.
· An additional 8,000 Israelis have joined the ranks of ...
Tuesday AM News Briefs from Eretz Yisrael
· A 26-year-old terrorist released in the Shalit deal was apprehended with a knife at the Kalandia Checkpoint. He admitted he was planning a stabbing attack. Prior to release in Shalit deal he was imprisoned for shooting into a yishuv.
· PA media reports gunfire was directed at the Ramallah home of senior official Jibril Rajoub.
· A mother and her infant daughter were struck by a car on Pierre Koenig Street in the capital. They were transported to Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital with ...
Thief Who Targeted Egged Safes in Custody
Police on Tuesday 9 Adar II 5774 announced the apprehension of a suspect who allegedly broke into Egged safes in a number of cities, netting hundreds of thousands of shekels. Thefts in Egged facilities were reported in Ashdod, Rehovot, Rishon L’tzion, and Tel Aviv.
The thieves succeeded in breaking into safes in Egged offices. Police add the safes in question as heavy “industrial safes” that require an expertise to break into.
(YWN – Israel Desk, Jerusalem)
Deri: Maran Was Correct! It's A House of Goyim
In an interview with Kikar Shabbos, Shas leader Aryeh Deri has harsh words for Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Bayit Yehudi leader Economy Minister Naftali Bennett. In the interview he spoke of the ongoing Knesset sessions to push through three bills, (1) Draft Bill, (2) Governance Bill and (3) Referendum Bill. The interview was conducted on Monday, 8 Adar II, the day before the Beit Shemesh Election.
Following are a number of excerpts from the interview:
Regarding the decision by ...
Litzman to PM Netanyahu: Recognize Israel as the Jewish State
MK (Yahadut Hatorah) Rabbi Yaakov Litzman took part in the opposition meeting in the Negev Room of Knesset on Monday, 8 Adar II 5774. He used the opportunity to send a message to Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu as follows: “You are calling on PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen) to recognize Israel as the democratic Jewish state. I turn to you, Mr. Prime Minister. The time has come that you too recognize Israel as the Jewish democratic state. A Jewish state sends lomdei Torah to prison? A ...
Religious Persecution in the IDF
As efforts to draft chareidim into the IDF continue, commanders in the Golani Brigade were instructed to shave. They were told that failure to comply would be viewed as insubordination for failing to comply with a direct order. It was explained to them that this would lead to a judicial proceeding against them that would most likely result in a demotion. They soldiers complied and shaved their beards.
One of the soldiers involved was on base the Shabbos following the incident, calling that ...
Steinitz: Why Can't Agudas Yisrael & Shas Combine?
Despite the absence of the opposition, the Knesset debate regarding the Governance Bill was held on Monday, Adar II on schedule. The 52-member opposition held a session in the Negev Room, boycotting the plenum session.
During the coalition session Minister of Intelligence & Strategic Affairs (Likud) Dr. Yuval Steinitz expressed support for the bill, which he feels is an important step for democracy. He feels increasing the minimum threshold for entering Knesset to four seats is ...
Sunday Morning News Briefs from Eretz Yisrael
· Four firebombs hurled at a bus on the Gush Etzion-Hebron Highway. B’chasdei Hashem there were no fatalities or injuries.
· Deputy IDF Chief of Staff Eizenkott was hospitalized over Shabbos after complaining of “not feeling well”. He was released on motzei Shabbos with a clean bill of head.
· Two seriously wounded Syrians were admitted to the Government Hospital in Nahariya.
· Ichud Hatzalah: A 4-month-old fell from a height in her Sderot home. She was transported in ...
Thursday Morning News Briefs from Eretz Yisrael
· Communications Minister Gilad Erdan announced the long disputed television tax will be eliminated on March 31, 2015. This is dependent on t he Knesset passing his bill seeking to eliminate the Israel Broadcast Authority and replace it with a new entity.
· Jonathan Pollard has been hospitalized.
· Hadassah Hospital announces 4-year-old Feige Rosenstruk z”l, from the Shmuel HaNavi neighborhood of Yerushalayim that drowned in the bathtub a number of days ago has died.
· Ichud ...