#1 things a girl should know or have before going to seminary in Israel:

Home Forums Yeshiva / School / College / Education Issues #1 things a girl should know or have before going to seminary in Israel:

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    brotherofurs
    Participant

i’m writing a list for my friend as a present…thanks!

Brony
    Participant

a scale. i’m not kidding. also common sense.

rc
    Participant

That newly married couples need their privacy!! Call before dropping in. and leave when the husband comes home!!!!

TheGoq
    Participant

That it is a tremendous expense and that your parents are sacrificing greatly for you so make the most of this opportunity.

Participant

The Direction from Ben Gurion Airport to her Seminary; Then the direction from her seminary to the Kossel.

Dictionary, the nearest pizza store number, (kosher) phone, a few pillows (to leave in the classrooms), suppositories for the first few days.

Brony
    Participant

oh, and hebrew.

I don’t want to hear any more “aypho ochel?”

Brony
    Participant

NOPE NOPE NOPE, no “closest pizza store number.” pretend restaurants are not a thing. your self-esteem, pocketbook, and future self and spouse will thank you for it.

Brony, Is your other half currently gaining weight in Israel??

aimhabonim
    Participant

COMFORTABLE SHOES!! You’ll start out wearing your cute shoes but then quickly realize that you’re not on 13th Ave. anymore….You’ll walk your feet off over there, and wear out shoes faster than you’d think possible.

– Shoes

-Ziploc Bags ( youll think im crazy but they have ony the sandwhich bags that dont close….)

-Cream cheese (if you can sneak it on the place, they say here they make it by mashing up dliced cheese..EWW

– Clothes (Do not buy clothes or shoes here, no matter how cute, they break in seconds, every american here orders online from america)

– Hair Producs (if you need, bring a years supply, the ones here stink)

– MAKEUP (the 1$ junky eyeliner there is over 100 SHEKELS HERE! BRING ALOT OF MAKEUP!)

I cant think of anymore right now

notasheep

A good attitude – it’s Israel, not America and certain things you just have to live without for a year. And if you had a room and bathroom to yourself at home, remember that you will be sharing with other girls and things can’t be how you always had it.

Yserbius123
    Participant

????? ?? ?????

?? ?? ???????????

twisted
    Participant

A golden (expensive) opportunity to shed some of the gashmiyus and gluttony of the west. And it is supposed to be “Eretz asher lo techsar kol bah. Really, you don’t need to smuggle cottage cheese, drained gevina levana is more than good enoough.

No it really isnt….but…did you know the jewish federation sends teens for free the summer after 10th grade??????

mazal77
    Participant

Oh Yes, for sure bring sensible & comfortable shoes. Leave the crazy high heels at home. Can you imagine walking in them in the old city, when it’s raining? Not good!! and “ouch” is an understatement!!

RabbiRabin

a copy of the Yeshiva and Seminary Student Guide

Toi
    Participant

at yichola blah blah blah fish?

anothermother
    Participant

Learn how to be a polite guest to the many wonderful families that will be opening up their homes to you for Shabbos.

Bored214
    Participant

Shopping613 u live in israel?

Ayayashreichem24
    Participant

although my year in sem was “amazing!!,” I wish that someone would have told me beforehand about all the bad parts of it… I did not appreciate being told that I’d love EVERYTHING about sem when, in fact, a lot of things really annoyed me and drove me crazy. Tell her about the annoying stuff so that she’s prepared for it.

8 showers for 120 girls? Tell her.

Annoying office staff that treat the girls like babies? Tell her.

And give her some tips on how to deal with everything.

I thought mods arent allowed to post questions like that….i thought you arent allowed to ask personal stuff…..

Does it really matter wgere i live as long as i give good tips.

Btw the food in israel, youll like in the begining…but after a year youll HATE it

EY Mom
    Participant

While shopping613 is right about the makeup (it is very expensive here), it is not advised to bring shampoo and conditioner.

You can buy good brands like Head and Shoulders, Pantene and others here – even though they are more expensive, it is worth it because they are formulated for hard water, unlike the stuff from the States.

As far as cream cheese – I have no idea where shopping613 is, but buying American-style cream cheese is no problem here – either stop in at a Brunch Bagel, or go to a supermarket that sells cheese by the weight – it’s called gevinat shamenet.

Clothing is more expensive here, although I disagree about the online orders – I and lots of Americans I know buy very good quality clothing here, you just need to know where to shop!

EY Mom
    Participant

Now for the #1 thing your sister should bring:

A positive attitude!

#1 thing she should leave behind:

The weird expectation some Americans seem to have that things in Eretz Yisrael are supposed to be the way they are in the U.S.

No…well….we dont keep any american hechshers cuz its a problem when you dont take teruma and maaser and stuff in america and then u bring it here and the rabbis dont know what to do….so theres like NOOOO food

brotherofurs
    Participant

thanks everyone, this was a big help!!!!

if u have anymore, please add!!!

Stock Trader
    Participant

Take a summer job now. Work as much as possible and when she gets to Israel will have a sizeable amount of $$ to spend on going out and having fun. Its so worthwhile

Take a blanket/throw to put over your bed as everyone comes and sits on your bed

A rug to put on the floor next to your bed

A mirror you can put on your bookshelf next to your bed or hang up in your room

Long skirts, thin clothes, its hot…

A list of people you can call to stay at them for Shabbos, you will need this when you get there!!

A bag for your stuff for when you go away for Shabbos

A warning that contrary to all the hype, Sem is not 100% of the time ‘AMAZING’ like people say it is, there are good days, great days, but some days are ‘ok’ and some days may even be bad, its normal, overall the experience is amazing but be prepared for some normal, ok ish times too

Ya, everyone has their bad days, no matter where they are.

Can she bring me some ziploc bags????????

truthsharer

Your post is very unclear with regards to American hechsherim.

Are you saying that you don’t buy food from the US and bring it to Israel because of terumah or maaser issues??

ObstacleIllusion
    Participant

Just off the top of my head…….Ziploc bags, Q-tips(by far the best call ever), an extra pair of headphones, toothbrush, toothpaste and deoderant for the plane, any “English” artscroll siddur or machzor, spiral notebooks or looseleaf paper,pencil…

Yes, exactly, our rabbi’s arent sure what the halacha is, so they say just dint eat it. Pluz here almost everythinv (unlesd from america) is cholov yisroel and paas yisroel. And like nothing in america is, so if you take it on like most prople since u sort of havta now thay its so easy, than american food is a big problem….

U know how americans LOVE israeli pickles? ????

Thats the one thing from america they eknt import- pickles….

You will get SOOOOO sick of isrseli pickles….

do you know what they dont have here??? Chex mix, recees, hershy, entemins doughnuts, dunkin donut, american cheese, little bites, i could go on and on……

ObstacleIllusion
    Participant

I’ve for sure seen Entenmann’s and American pickles and maybe also Little Bites in Ramat Eshkol.

truthsharer

Still unclear, please try it again in English.

If your rabbis are unclear, I’ll clear up the issue. If the produce is from the US, it does not need teruma or maaser taken out.

Yes, but when im eating it here, thats a problem and im buying it here. Some of the stuff i mentioned can be found ONLY, AND I MEAN ONLY in yerushalayim or ramar beit shemesh. Other cities dont need american food as there arent so many americans elsewhere.

Plus we stopped keeping all american heshchers. Like i said if you live in E”Y you HAVE TO KERP CHOLOV YISROEL. The things i mentioned are far from that. But most americans dont keep ig anyway

truthsharer

You’re still unclear.

If the produce is from the US, it does not need terumah or maaser, regardless of where you’re eating it.

The rest of your post is hogwash so I won’t respond to it.

Wow, no offense but you sound really harsh. Listen you are supposed to keep cholov yisroel if you can, originally i lived in the middle of no where that like once a month got choliv yisroel milm for like 20$ a gallon and that was it, no one was crazy enough to keep it.

But in israel, almost everything is choliv yisroel, and its very simple to take it on, so you so to say have to.

Any other problem you had, i mentioned, and its your fault if yoy cant grasp such simple comments

gavra_at_work
    Participant

But in israel, almost everything is choliv yisroel, and its very simple to take it on, so you so to say have to.

So says the “Rabbi” who holds Trumos & Masros need to be taken off from Peiros of CHUL. 🙂 Excuse me if I take anything you say with a large amount of skepticism.

rabbi wanabe

shopping six13 not only don’t you know what you are talking about you don’t know how to spell either.

luv2Bjewish

Yeah, not to be too harsh or anything but Shopping613 you kinda don’t know what your talking about. I’ve been to Israel many times and have never heard of anything like that. You should probably check with your rabbis…..

luv2Bjewish

Back to the original question:

1. Positive attitude – it gets you really far!

2. Don’t expect to go to sem and change immediately…it takes time and effort.

3. Bag for shabbosim

4. Camera with a few memory cards – you take a lot of pics! Or you can print your pics in Israel.

5. Make sure to make th emost of every single second! It goes by really fast!

Brony
    Participant

hey hey AD HOM alert.

girl, you’re totally wrong about terumah and maaser. that having been said, you bring up a fascinating point about non-cholov yisoel products brought into e”y. i never really thought about that before, but i suppose adherence obviously follows the location of the person, not origin of the product. so if you start drinking your stabucks with milk here and fly to israel, gotta throw that thing out half-drank. good call yo. ignore the haters (but learn about hilchos terumah and maaser). and btw homies i’m pretty sure r’ moshe’s heter is only for ‘murica. wanna extend it elsewhere on the same reasoning? go ahead, but that’s your own cheshbon b.

Well sorry, im not like so known in this subject, im only a female teen, this is how our rav translates it from wtvr language rabbi’s and yeshiva guys speak into my language.

Im sorry you have a problem with it, this is what i understood….maybe i understood incorrect or something…idk

PlUs my spelling isnt so bad, if this was an essay, i would spell like you, but it isnt, but from where i am now everyone looks at ne and says “OMG! You spell so well, you could be a writer! I forgot spelling when we made aliyah…..”

ive only kept my english level by constantly writing, so please, if i make a mistake cuz i dont feel like writing out the entie word because, or cuz im on an android and the keyboard is so ridiculiously small its impossible NOT to make a mistake unless you feel like reareading each post and fixing your mistakes- please dont blame me….

people can be SOOOOOO judging sometimes

Toi
    Participant

GAW- maybe theres confusion between peiros of chutz laaretz and ibbermaasering going on here? im being melamed zchus.

truthsharer

brony, actually if you look at R’ Moshe’s teshuva he includes any country that has legislation on milk protection, no matter how weak. (which would include India and other countries, even though enforcement is close to nil.)

Brony
    Participant

BUT WAIT, if the reasoning behind r’ moshe’s teshuva holds true, then the milk already in your starbuck’s is for sure not pig milk. so by bringing it into e’y, are you adding pig’s milk (or a presumption thereof)?

I’M TRIPPIN’ HERE PEOPLE, HOW CAN YOU EVEN GO ON WITH YOUR NORMAL LIVES?!?! SMH…

Torah613Torah
    Participant

Yea, how can I go on with my normal life, now I have a chance to finally taste a presumption of pigs’ milk (if I drank chalav stam)? That sounds terribly exciting.

I dint know anymore on the subject, i know what i need to know, and i dknt want to learn more.

Fight about it with someone else now, cuz i dont know anything else

gavra_at_work
    Participant

and btw homies i’m pretty sure r’ moshe’s heter is only for ‘murica. wanna extend it elsewhere on the same reasoning? go ahead, but that’s your own cheshbon b.

American products, not America. Products made outside of America (such as China) need to be CY even in America, and the same for the opposite (Made in America products in Canada or Peru (or EY) are under Rav Moshe’s Heter).

Well sorry, im not like so known in this subject, im only a female teen, this is how our rav translates it from wtvr language rabbi’s and yeshiva guys speak into my language.

Point to know when you go to Sem. You do not know everything. Your “Rabbis” don’t know everything. Many times they will tell you whatever Chumrah of the Week that they see on the street as actual Halacha. You should “hear all, trust nothing”. Ask a Posek, and if you don’t have one, call one (eg. Rav Dovid Cohen, Rabbis Forst or Fuerst, or your shul Rov).

I dint know anymore on the subject, i know what i need to know, and i dknt want to learn more.

Fight about it with someone else now, cuz i dont know anything else

Problem is you don’t know what you need to know. Go learn (ask your shul Rabbi, for example, not your Sem Teacher who from what you tell us knows from nothing) and get back to us on what he says.

i’m pretty sure r’ moshe’s heter is only for ‘murica. wanna extend it elsewhere on the same reasoning? go ahead, but that’s your own cheshbon b.

By that reasoning, since regulations and enforcement have changed, relying on R’ Moshe’s heter nowadays, anywhere, is also by extension.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.