3-Day Weekends – Global Impact (more info in OP)

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 3-Day Weekends – Global Impact (more info in OP)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Lightbrite
    Participant

If by coincidence, all governments around the world adopted a 3-day weekend (i.e. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday), with no direct or indirect adverse consequences to the world (including but not limited to public health, macro and micro-economics, and politics), and this change indirectly caused a significantly greater proportion of the world’s Jewish population to observe Shabbat, unintentionally, then would we see greater world peace as a result?

Or, do all Jews need to love one another for us to see a positive global effect?

And/or, does every Jew need to observe Shabbat and all of the mitzvot for us to see world peace?

Thank you

Joseph
    Participant

If all Jews keep the same Shabbos one week, Moshiach will come.

Amil Zola
    Participant

Is this a wonder question of some kind? Or is it a test to see if anyone can make sense of your one sentence first paragraph?

Abba_S
    Participant

In Israel where Shabbos is not a workday the irreligious not only don’t try to keep Shabbos but are even fighting to have buses running and shops and theaters open on Shabbos.

Also I am not sure if you don’t realize that Friday is the holy day for Muslims. So if there is to be a 4 day work week it would probably be Monday through Thursday, as Friday is the Muslim holy day Saturday is the Jewish Holy Day & Sunday is the Catholic Holy day

Lightbrite
    Participant

Lol, the queen of run-on sentences is asking a question indeed

Abba_S
    Participant

Shortening the workweek will not increase world peace but rather create more havoc.  People need to work in order to keep them out of trouble.

akuperma
    Participant

There is more evidence of moving to a Friday-Saturday-Sunday three day weekend (or rather a Monday-Thursday four day workweek).

Note that Christians in the past observed Sunday in a more sabbath-like manner with enforced prohibitions on work. The two day weekend was introduced by Franklin Roosevelt in an effort to reduce unemployment by reducing the work week and forcing employers to make up for lost hours by hiring more employees.

Lightbrite
    Participant

Abba_S, thank you! I had no idea that Friday is a holy day for Muslims. Yes, so that changes the question. I guess that it would be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday then.

About the non-observant Israeli Jews, my view is that they don’t have enough time during the weekend to get their things done. They really don’t have a day off. Shabbos takes up their whole weekend. Sunday is a working day. Surely what I’m saying has been countered already. So, if you have a counter to my argument that having Sunday off would ease the pressure to be busy on Saturday, please let me know.

Neville ChaimBerlin
    Participant

Yeah, why would adding Monday accomplish anything? I thought you were going to say Friday for the people who stay at work after shkiah in the winters.

Lightbrite
    Participant

Abba_S, yes B”H working often does keep people out of trouble. Excellent point

Gadolhadorah
    Participant

One of the marginal Dem primary candidates, Jerry Yang, has focused on an issue the other candidates have effectively ignored which is how automation/AI will gradually destroy millions of low skilled/low paying jobs over the next few decades threatening the social fabric of our country and others. Jobs such as cashiers, truckdrivers, low-tech assembly, call center operators, etc. will disappear. This will put greater pressure on employers and government to reduce the workweek hours to spread around the remaining jobs across more workers. Three day-weekends may be a start but look for more draconian government efforts to “spread the wealth”.

Neville ChaimBerlin
    Participant

Gadol:
    That discussion has probably happened sense the dawn of humanity. Company’s will absolutely not feel motivated to reduce the workweek, they’ll just lay people off and keep the remaining workers at 40 hours like they did with the original tech revolution.

I personally would prefer if they cut the workweek rather than cut people’s jobs (I think we all would), but they aren’t going to do it unless they’re forced. Was that Yang’s point?

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

I think Andrew Yang believes in free markets, which wouldn’t give the companies a choice.

Amil Zola
    Participant

Litebright, pics or it didn’t happen.:)

FWIW I don’t think that democratic republics like the US can legislate the days of the work week. Our M-F work week is a holdover from the days when religion had a stronger influence on society. Here in the US there are a great many public and private employers who permit their workers to have 4 ten hour day work weeks. It’s simply a matter of choice and scheduling.

Gadolhadorah
    Participant

Neville:
    We have gone to a 24×7 world, where Millennials want instant gratification and seem annoyed if it will take more than 30 minutes for their local take-out Chulent joint to complete a delivery. UPS just announced that they will go to Sunday delivery at no extra charge but they are hiring special workers who will make 40 percent less than their regular drivers and have fewer benefits. Even those lower skilled jobs may not last long. Within a few years, your cholent may be delivered via drone with no need for the deliveryman . (As some of you many have read last week, a local TV station reported that 1 in 3 deliverymen admitted having “tasted” food meant for customers on the way to delivery because they were not paid for time taken off for meals).

Also, SF and several other cities have adopted a “robot tax” for large employers who reduce employees and substitute robots. The tax money is supposed to go into a job-retraining fund. Big brother at work.

Lightbrite
    Participant

Omg about food delivery drivers tasting food!!

Neville ChaimBerlin
    Participant

Wait, is it Jerry Yang or Andrew Yang?

Abba_S
    Participant

I am not sure why a four day workweek is better, because the fewer hours worked the lower the employee’s income is. Under Obamacare medical insurance had to be provided to all full time employees, so some employers just cut the number of hours each employee worked in order to avoid having to provide medical insurance resulting in lower income for the employee. Also employers can reclassify employees as outside consultants and get around any government law requiring a 4 day workweek.
    Currently, some employers have fllexible work schedules, allowing employees to work two hours extra each day in order to get the fifth working day off. Government doesn’t have to mandate these changes just the
    employees and employers have to agree to this type of workweek schedule.

yehudayona
    Participant

It’s Yin Yang. BTW, he’s also opposed to bris milah.

Gadolhadorah
    Participant

Neville…..ANDREW Yang…my mistake…..Jerry Yang was the co-founder of Yahoo and to the best of my knowledge, is not running for President (at least not yet).

tweaked 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.