30000 frum people have a kosher phone

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 30000 frum people have a kosher phone

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Torah613Torah
    Participant

And I want one too.

Anyone read the article in Hamodia this past shabbos about kosher phones?

I was really inspired by the people who throw out their smartphone and replace it with a kosher phone. I don’t think I would be able to. But I don’t want my children to grow up seeing me on a smartphone, because I don’t want them to have a smartphone.

Sparkly

Torah613Torah – if you dont want your kids to have something than you shouldnt either because then they will have that they thing.

Joseph
    Participant

So why your hypocrisy now? (To be clear, I ask out of benevolence, not malignity.)

WolfishMusings
    Participant

30000 from people have a kosher phone

Why should people who have a “kosher phone” give you 30000 of anything?

The Wolf

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Are you talking about the US or Israel? I thought there was no such thing as Kosher phones in the US? Does that mean it doesn’t have texting?

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

btw, does anyone know if there’s such a thing as getting a phone in Israel that has unlimited texting to the US but no Internet? If so, please let me know asap. Thanks!

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

I also want a smartphone.

Torah613Torah
    Participant

Because smartphones are so convenient and fun.

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Mrs. CTL and I both still use ordinary flip phones. Never got smartphones and don’t want them.

Joseph
    Participant

CTL, AARP offers discounted flip phones with big numeric keypads…

Sparkly

lilmod ulelamaid – there are kosher phones in us.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Sparkly – does that mean they don’t have texting?

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Joseph………..

I don’t belong to or support AARP.

I have no problem with the Samsung phones we got from Verizon about 5 years ago. Never took an upgrade, never has a single problem with them. Our kids took all the upgrades over the years.

When my youngest got an iPhone 6s Plus she asked why I don’t have one. Mrs. CTL replied…that’s because poppa doesn’t have a wealthy father.

My children have smartphones, but use them for business or school purposes. I don’t find the need for internet access on my phone. I’m seldom in a place where I require internet that doesn’t have accessible wifi and I either have a tablet or my Kindle Fire with me.

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Ctlawyer,

So the only reason you don’t have a smart phone is because you don’t need it because you have a tablet which takes the place of the smart phone

So in essence you have a smart phone

Yesodyosef613
    Participant

Because of my business I have to have access to email and a few apps. I’ve found that the iPhone is incredibly easy to lock up. Once I put the apps and email accounts on my iPhone I have my wife put a password on it and I lock up all the apps which I can’t delete IE: maps. youtube, safari and ect. B”H It has made owning an iPhone doable while still maintaining my sense of purity. Truth be told it’s an incredibly boring phone that has no games and any real internet access. One thing to keep in mind is in the settings make sure you restrict all websites.

Yesodyosef613
    Participant

PS – If you have a way around it please keep it to yourself. My post was meant to help people who are interested in getting help.

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

Why not just get a basic phone?

Joseph
    Participant

What is a basic phone?

Yesodyosef613
    Participant

are the basic phone comments directed at me

PS – I have an iPhone 4

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Coffee Addict………..

No, in essence I don’t have a smartphone. My tablet or Kindle Fire does not have a camera for still or video operations. I have no apps on them either. They are used for Internet for business/legal research and retrieving email sent from the office while I may be at a client or in court.

I do not have texting set up on my phone, and although it has a built in rudimentary camera there is no way I can send the photos anywhere Unless I buy additional plan features (not interested). I had an earlier slide phone years ago that had a removable card so I could upload photos to my computer. None of this technology appeals to me and I’ll not spend extra to have it.

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

A basic flip phone can make phone calls but can’t access the Internet.

Sparkly

lilmod ulelamaid – i dont know sorry but i know that it doesnt have internet.

Excellence
    Participant

Who cares. Just have a normal phone and use it in a kosher way.

Better to control anger and speech.

Torah613Torah
    Participant

Reb Yid, I used to have a basic flip phone and it did have the option of Internet

Torah613Torah
    Participant

Excellence good point

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Ctlawyer,

Coffee Addict………..

No, in essence I don’t have a smartphone. My tablet or Kindle Fire does not have a camera for still or video operations. I have no apps on them either. They are used for Internet for business/legal research and retrieving email sent from the office while I may be at a client or in court.

Apps can be downloaded (even though you choose not to)

A smartphone is a phone with Internet capability

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

When a basic flip phone is defined as a flip phone that is not able to access the Internet or run apps, a phone that can access the Internet is not a basic flip phone.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

I bought a kosher phone today. There are now 30,001 people with a kosher phone.

🍫Syag Lchochma
    Participant

“I was really inspired by the people who throw out their smartphone and replace it with a kosher phone.”

Torah – my son did just that and I was so proud and impressed. The smartphone was locked from all apps except email and some kosher news feeds but he got rid of it and bought a flip phone.

I feel like a minority with my smartphone and LU I’m proud of you sister

zahavasdad
    Participant

The chofetz chaim learned by candlelight and refused to learn by an electric bulb when he could have.

May we all be zoche to learn like the chofetz chaim did

zahavasdad
    Participant

When quoting a gadol, always make sure you know exactly what was asked, in what context and who the psak applied to. IN the case of the smartphone and Eidus nothing was really clear. And always make sure you arent asking the question in order to mock the gadol. There was a video that was posted around including I think YWN of Rav Chaim saying a bracha on Marijuana. This response to this video was generally not positive.

lesschumras
    Participant

Where did the 30000 number come from? source?

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

Hamodia article.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

zahavasdad- the stories you are talking about have nothing to do with the inyan here. I never heard of the stories you are quoting and no one was discussing those stories. No one mentioned any specific quotes from the Gedolim. What was being discussed was the fact that the Gedolim have said that Internet use should be limited and therefore someone started a thread in the Coffee Room talking about how he wants to follow the words of the Gedolim and limit his Internet use. Many posters agreed and were encouraging each other.

Then someone else got on attacking the Gedolim for being against Internet use as well as the posters in the Coffee Room for trying to live up to the words of the Gedolim. Then some other posters decided to join him in his attacks on the Gedolim.

Again, no one had brought any specific quotes from the Gedolim, and the issue being discussed was not whether or not the Gedolim were being quoted correctly.

The issue was that some people felt that they have a right to attack what the Gedolim say (they themselves were claiming that the Gedolim said these things – they weren’t arguing that the Gedolim did not really say these things).

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

Lilmod ulelamaid, as usual, a logical and well written post.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Dy – 🙂

I don’t have a kosher phone, and I see nothing wrong with that.

(I do see something wrong with the surrounding circumstances,

but this isn’t the thread for that.)

I lock up all the apps which I can't delete IE: maps.

Why would you lock Maps?

A smartphone is a phone with Internet capability.

That doesn’t sound right to me (I could easily be wrong, though).

Who cares. Just have a normal phone and use it in a kosher way.

You shouldn’t leave yourself the possibility in hand. Also,

there’s the issue of appearing to be part of the smartphone

“culture,” and how it looks to your kids. (Or some such.)

Lostspark
    Participant

I have a iphone se.

Me and my wife set up parental settings on it that she has the password to. I have five allowable websites and a few apps for work. I can’t download apps, set up new email accounts or use social media. It’s been a good set up so far.

commonsaychel
    Participant

MODs. this guy is plugging his own business, please remove it

oshriv
    Participant

3000 kosher phones in the right pocket and 3000 regular in the left pocket .
    That’s the old phrase of the maskilim יהודי בביתך etc…

Centrist
    Participant

@torah613 your aspirations are commendable, may you have the strength to give up a vice that in no way improves you actual quality of life!!!!! Good luck!

why not just use a wired telephone? problem(s) solved.

Lakewoodscoop
    Participant

An iPhone that’s completely blocked with no internet or just white list and the App Store blocked so you can’t download apps and just kosher apps and explicit blocked on Apple Music and podcasts and you don’t have Spotify which has tons of bad and just email and banking zero games is still a distraction and not clean. There is mini ways around all what I described which makes the phone and issue if you can see a picture that’s not appropriate that’s an issue done nothing to discuss and there is many more of these issues and it makes it a problem and not a good phone to have! Some use a flip phone and then an iPhone or iPad with a data only sim which that is still having these issues just it looks better and is annoying to carry around. Either you accept the flip phone terms or use an iPhone fully kosher which still has issues and therefore should be working on getting rid of it totally! Whoever says they are fine is lying they are looking at something not right or something else is wrong.

n0mesorah
    Participant

Dear Lakewood,

Or they have a better life than a silly screen can offer them.

Lakewoodscoop
    Participant

That’s always the answer and it’s just people hiding the fact they are seeing something they shouldn’t they just simply can’t agree as they want their iPhone for conveniences and not truly being real and making a decision that this iPhone has ways around it which Hashem will ask me after 120 up there and you’ll need a good answer as to why you think it’s ok to look at even just bad pictures or just minor issue. We are not talking about someone with internet access or App Store access I’m talking about someone blocking everything and iPhone still has it’s little loops open Rachmanu letzloin.

n0mesorah
    Participant

Dear Lakewood,

So you don’t have a life and would spend your time looking at obscene pictures. It’s not for me and it’s not for most people. Only the extremely secular or the extremely religious normalize this garbage.

Kuvult
    Participant

During Covid my son’s Rebbe gave his shiur by Telegraph so all the kids would be able to participate.

amiricanyeshivish
    Participant

There is on the market a kosher smart phone by Safe Telecom that has many kosher apps but doesn’t have browser capabilities.

Lakewoodscoop
    Participant

I switched to a flip phone again!

You have to understand which apps you need and which you don’t need and then you can plan how to use a flip phone. I use the flip phone most of the day and just when needed I use the iPhone for banking and notes. Otherwise I don’t need an iPhone on me anymore it’s just a distraction and doesn’t look right for a Ben torah!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.