$500 Million Powerball Lottery

Home Forums Money & Finance $500 Million Powerball Lottery

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    shmoel

Are you playing? How many tickets? Why would anyone be crazy enough to waste money on purchasing more than one ticket? Is even buying one-ticket altogether worthwhile? The chances are virtually nil.

shmoel

Oh, and what do you plan on spending your newfound wealth, to the tune of half a billion dollars (give or take a few dozen million dollars), on?

WIY

Shmoel

No need to buy more than one ticket. If you are meant to win you will and if Hashem doesnt plan that for you you wont win. However I hope a frum CHARITABLE person wins.

WolfishMusings
    Participant

When the pot is high enough, I buy one ticket.

If I’m meant to win, one ticket is all I need.

If I’m not meant to win, then buying a thousand won’t help.

The Wolf

yaakov doe
    Participant

WIY Thanks for the good wishes. I’m in it to win it and I’m frum and charitable.

Rav Tuv
    Participant

When the pot is high enough, I buy one ticket.

How high is the pot before you will buy a ticket. Is 10 million not high enough? I never understand people who buy when it reaches a certain amount. Half a billion dollars is crazy money.

its not actually a half a bill.(taxes)

Tnewman
    Participant

If a frum person won and decides not to give to any schnorrer organizations anything would you blame him?

Englishman

Tnew: Yes. He then wouldn’t be frum.

WolfishMusings
    Participant

How high is the pot before you will buy a ticket. Is 10 million not high enough? I never understand people who buy when it reaches a certain amount. Half a billion dollars is crazy money.

That’s a fair question.

In truth, I don’t look at the lottery as an investment (and, frankly, anyone who does needs a lesson in basic finances). I buy a ticket as a form of entertainment. For two bucks, I get to dream about what I would do if I won some huge sum of money. For two bucks (or one if it’s the Mega Millions) I get to dream for a few days. So, the answer to your question is, the pot has to be large enough to allow me to dream. How much is that in terms of absolute dollars? It depends on my mood.

The Wolf

shmoel

It used to be “all you need is a dollar and a dream.” But it now seems the price has doubled to two dollars.

Also, it used to be that a State Lottery system sold either Powerball or Mega-Millions. New York was a Mega Millions only state. New Jersey was Powerball (I think.) Now it seems everyone, NY included, sells both. When did this change occur?

BaalHabooze
    Participant

Wolf: +1

I’m with you on this one. I too play once in a while just for pure entertainment and to fuel my fantasy dreams.

shmoel

Holy cow, the lottery went up to $550 Million dollars! That’s a 10% increase in one day.

Now I have to figure out what to do with another 50 Million bucks.

YW Moderator-42

Send the extra 50 mil to the YWCR to help pay the moderators higher salaries. And also to pay the programmers to fix the spam issue that has been slowing down the CR recently (notice how it takes forever to get posts approved)

YW Moderator-72
    Participant

as usual Wolf looks at the situation the right way (which translates into: we are in agreement)

shmoel: both New York and New Jersey had the mega-millions and I had to go to CT or PA if I wanted a power ball ticket.

mod-42: don’t forget the pension accounts for us retirees…

shmoel

I remember guys hawking Powerball tickets for $10 each in New York when there was a big game, before NY signed up for the PB in addition to Mega Millions.

shmoel

Does anyone waste time filling out a lottery form and choosing their own numbers instead of having the computer pick random numbers with QuickPick? To pick your own is true bitul zman.

farrocks

The cash value of the current Powerball lottery is not $550 million, but rather it is $360.2 million.

So, please, everyone reduce your spending plans once upon your win.

WolfishMusings
    Participant

To pick your own is true bitul zman.

If you play often enough, perhaps it saves money in the long run.

For example, if I want to know if I won, I have to compare my numbers (picked at random) to the winning numbers. That entails finding my ticket and looking at the lottery’s website for the numbers. However, if I play the same numbers every time, and I play often enough, all I have to do is hear the winning numbers on the radio to know whether or not I won.

The cash value of the current Powerball lottery is not $550 million, but rather it is $360.2 million.

If you like, you can take the payout over time and receive the entire $550 million. (Assuming you win, of course.)

The Wolf

farrocks

If you like, you can take the payout over time and receive the entire $550 million. (Assuming you win, of course.)

Or you could take the entire $360.2 million and put it into U.S. Treasuries for 50 years. Then you could describe the current payout as being $800 million (or whatever $360.2 million with 50 years interest equals.)

Let’s be honest. The current lottery is for $360.2 million, not $550 million.

farrocks

Y’all realize that choosing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and Powerball 1 as your ticket numbers gives you as good chance as any of winning.

WIY

Farrocks

Wow thats $36,020,000 in maaser money! Can definitely help a lot of poor people with that!

shmoel

I WON! I WON!!

I will be having lots of free time to be spending with you guys in the coffee room starting tommorow after I quit my job!

Ðash®
    Participant

So, please, everyone reduce your spending plans once upon your win.

My usual plan is to borrow the full jackpot (minus taxes) from a Gemach and repay them with the annuity.

Whats the difference bet PB and Mega millions?

farrocks

They are two different national lottery systems. Not a whole lot different, just two different lotteries.

oomis
    Participant

We didn’t win :::sniff:::

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.