Should we observe 9/11?

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee Should we observe 9/11?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    springbok007
    Participant

Is the true anniversary not six days prior to Rosh Hashana? Elul 23.

Why is it necessary to extend all this effort for 9.11?

zahavasdad
    Participant

Why is it necessary to extend all this effort for 9.11?

Its amazing some people need to ask such questions

truthsharer

What type of stupid question is this?

yungermanS
    Participant

do you know why 9/11 happened? i.e. every tragedy that occurs in klal yisroel has a wake-up message STRAIGHT from Hashem. do you know what the message of 9/11 is?

Do you know that 9/11 is our sad day for over 2000 years? ???? ???, 9 is ???? Av is 11 ???? is 12 & ???? is 1, how does that grab you? How does that shock you? what about the phone number 911? that’s also ???? ???. that’s Americas emergency number for a minimum of 50 to 100 years, why didn’t they pick 111? are you going to tell me cause a baby might press 111 by mistake? These 2 tragedies-above-were only hint’s to tisha b’av, but it wasn’t enough to bring klal yisroel to start doing teshuva. So what happened ON tisha b’av 2005, i.e. no more hints to tisha b’av? Gush Katif/the Gaza Disengagement, it was supposed to happen on tisha b’av but they waited until Motzei tisha b’av, they did not even wait till the next morning, which means it was still tisha b’av in Chutz La’aretz (diaspora). Now let me ask you something, are these 3 tragedies-relating to tisha b’av-coincidence or is it a straight message from Hashem that its time for klal yisroel to wake up & do ?????? You think about it, this is not between people, this is between each person & Hashem.

May we all start doing teshuva ASAP before tragedy strikes again C”V

achar chulent
    Participant

Unfortunately we live in a society where the oil am values secular sometimes more the the yiddishe ones. Although we mustn’t forget the tragedy of that day we have to recognize that we are mamash sinking very far into secularity.

springbok007
    Participant

truthsharer; if you had lost someone on that day Chas Veshalom you would eat your words, my message is simple, as Jews we remember our lost ones on the Jewish date not on the secular date. Your insensitivity is actually quiet shocking.

truthsharer

You’re the one being insensitive. Look at your question: “9/11 should we observe?” and then you go on to criticize those who observe the day.

springbok007
    Participant

again just for clarification, the loss according to simple halocho is Elul 23, hence the redundancy for the ‘second yortzeid’. I observe Elul 23 for this reason on all accounts. Perhaps you should glean from the answer and remove your hostility given the current timing on the Jewish calendar, or perhaps this has no bearing either for you.

truthsharer

So you want us to march over to any Jew feeling sad and tell them that they’re bad people because the yartzheit was two weeks ago?

springbok007
    Participant

i wish you a goed gebenchter yor. Your mind is made up and cannot be confused with the facts. Some of us actually lost very close family (siblings) on that tragic day in case the message was not crystal. For that reason it is incumbent as a Yid to follow that path of remembrance.

The coffee room as it states is a discussion room where is no need to shtech someone else. You have reshus to rave and rant on to your hearts content,i however will no longer dignify you with any further replies.

morahmom
    Participant

This is more than stam a yahrzeit. It was and continues to be a national trauma. During the days and weeks after the attacks, there was tremendous achdus, amongst acheinu bnei Yisroel and New Yorkers all over. Please let’s not lose it now. Let people continue to grieve on their terms, and let’s be there for one another.

Participant

yungermans:- You somehow seem to have left out another 9/11 from exactly 3/4 century ago; The European 9/11 is November 9th which was Crystal Nacht.

As for 9/11 being Tisha b’Ov we are on the final leg into a very critical Tisho b’Ov, with the forthcoming Tisho b’Ov marking exactly 1 century since the commencement of World War 1.

Just 4 weeks ago I was at the Flight 93 Memorial. As much as I thought I knew beforehand, I learned an incredible lot which I hadn’t known before going to the Flight 93 Memorial. We spent 2 whole hours at the Flight 93 Memorial, and every loyal American & decent Jew owes it to himself/herself to go & visit the Flight 93 Memorial. Despite being in a remote place, it was constantly busy, with lots of people coming to visit.

I saw the 2nd plane hit the South Tower with my very own 2 eyes, and vow that I shall never forget that horrific sight. I knew about 9/11 before even President Bush knew about it, his being occupied reading books to kids at a school in Florida.

9/11 shall always be observed, Dorei Doros, just as November 22nd [Kisslev 5th] coming up to be exactly 1/2 century, shall always be observed and remembered. Lo Tishkoch!! Period!!

truthsharer

Again, so if someone observes the yahrzeit, they are also not allowed to feel sad and observe any other day?

Also, you have no idea if I lost someone, and next time you might want to re-read your OP before you press submit.

I think we should observe it, considering it was our fault and all

jakob
    Participant

we will NEVER forget 9/11 & the 3000 people who perished in it together will all the heroes of the police & fire departments who helped Save hundreds of lives

Genya
    Participant

Because people are STILL dying from the effects of having breathed in the poison from it. Might be someone in YOUR family next. R’L

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

There is a difference between “Why observe?” and “Why observe on this calendar date rather than the other one?”, and some posters here seem to have missed that.

ubiquitin
    Participant

“There is a difference between “Why observe?” and “Why observe on this calendar date rather than the other one?””

while there is a difference, it isnt as great as you imply. and the questions are similar in that they are equally silly.

There is a response from R’ Miller that makes it rounds every independence day about putting up the flag on July 4th. Nobody (as far as I know) has a hava amina to commemorate independence day on its Hebrew date and raise a flag on 17 Tammuz.
    This thread isnt about descendants observing Yahrtzeit. Obviously that would be on the date of the Yahrtzeit, and I dont think the OP was askign if family members should observe the yahrtzeit of 9/11 victims.
    If there is a role for commemorating 9/11 (again outside of routine yahrtzeit) then it would be on the date it is commemorated. Thus the questions are quite linked

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.