Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jake joe
    Participant

happy new year!

Joseph
    Participant

Why are you counting years from yushke?

👑RebYidd23
    Participant

Goyish!

chizuk1
    Participant

Yes seriously. Hashkafos need to be rethought. Mistakes were made by original poster.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Thank you for wishing me a happpy new year! It’s only three months late -that’s not so bad – at least for me – I do many things more than 3 months late.

mamish such a zerizus. wishing me a new year 9 months early. wow you really are quick

zahavasdad
    Participant

2017 is not a count from anything. There was nobody well known in any other religion born in the year 1

oomis
    Participant

Rather than say Happy New Year (oops, I just did, didn’t I???), I vastly prefer to wish each and every one of you in the Coffee Room a happy, meaningful Zos Chanukah. I haven’t had much chance to read, much less post, here recently, being exceptionally busy with Bubby stuff B”H, as well as the usual things that I have taken upon myself this year. I have not forgotten my friends in the CR, and look forward to finding and making the time to pore over the words of wisdom that I have often found in this forum (and if it’s shtuss, I’ll just pass right over it, so be forewarned well in advance). 🙂

Chag Sameach, everyone!

Oomis

Little Froggie
    Participant

There was a Tzaddik who greeted and said Happy New Year to all Yidden. They asked his intentions, he said look at the difference how we celebrate our New Years, and how the gentiles do. Don’t we deserve a good year?

Little Froggie
    Participant

<Begin Shtuss>

Pearls of wisdumb.

<End Shtuss>

yehudayona
    Participant

Until the British adopted the Gregorian calendar in 1752, they (and the American colonists) celebrated the New Year in March.

Lightbrite
    Participant

joe jake and everyone: Happy New Year 🙂

JJ is right!

It’s true that Chanukah is considered by some to be the start of the new year!

When I was in Israel I listened to a Rabbi’s shiur about it on Torah Anytime. He said that the lights are a renewing of our neshamot. Today alone is literally a time of great spiritual transformation.

Also last night I read an article on Chabad’s Jewish Woman site about how Chanukah relates to Rosh Hashanah.

Chag Samayach indeed 🙂 🙂 🙂

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

There is a story with someone – it’s either Rav Avigdor Miller, zatsal, or Rav Avraham Pam, zatsal. One of his talmidim (we’ll call him Reuven) was engaged. Reuven was of course very excited and he called his friend Shimon to tell him. Shimon asked him when he’s getting married, and Reuven gave him the goyish date. Shimon immediately started giving him mussar, “how can you go by the goyish date?!!”

Reuven was really hurt by this. He then called his Rav (either Rav Avigdor Miller or Rav Avraham Pam) and told him that he was a chosson. His Rav was really excited and asked him when he’s getting married. He again gave the goyish date. The Rav got really excited and said, “Wow, that is also my anniversary! We will be celebrating our anniversaries on the same day”.

After that, Reuven always made sure to send his Rav a card on their mutual anniversary wishing him a happy anniversary and sending him a picture of his ever-growing family, bli ayin hara.

I think maybe the Rav was nifter shortly after the mutual anniversary one year. In any case, when Reuven went to be menachem avel his wife, she made a point of telling him how much the Rav enjoyed his cards and pictures every year.

I think that wishing someone a Happy new year might be slightly different since new year’s is actually a religious holiday, although most don’t realize that.

But even so, perhaps I owe you an apology, Joe Jake, for not acting in the footsteps of (Rav Avigdor Miller or Rav Avraham Pam) and instead giving a sarcastic response,

so it was very nice and thoughtful of you to wish me a happy new year (ok, it wasn’t personally me, but I was included), even though I don’t celebrate it.

And I wish everyone in the CR a happy and good new month!!!! (Teves)

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

LB +1! That was so nice how you were melamed zchus and found a way to reconcile things.

zahavasdad
    Participant

I cannot say for Israel, but in the US it makes a BIG difference if you have a Baby born on December 31st or January 1st

Lightbrite
    Participant

LU +1

Awesome story!!! 🙂

—And here is little of what I was referring to:

“[A]ccording to the mystics, the time between the High Holidays and Chanukah are intrinsically linked.1

Our tradition teaches that on Rosh Hashanah, G?d decides what our year will look like. Yet these decisions are actually sealed on Hoshanah Rabbah, the seventh day of Sukkot.

“1. See, for example, Rav Tzvi Elimelech Shapiro, Shaar Yissachar, Yemei Orah 36.”

iacisrmma
    Participant

LU: the anniversary story was Rav Pam.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Iacisrmma – thanks! I always mix them up. Their first names both start with the same letter, and I think they were both nifter around the same time, or maybe I only really started hearing about both of them at the same time.

Geordie613
    Participant

LU, Rav Paysach Krohn says that story about Rav Pam zatz”l. It’s a beautiful story that could have equally happened with Rav Miller zatz”l

iacisrmma
    Participant

Geordie613: That’s if R’ Miller’s anniversary was in August. The exact date is mentioned in the story but I don’t recall if it was August 15th or 22nd.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Iacisrmma – whoa, you are good!

Geordie613
    Participant

No, it’s definitely Rav Pam

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.