2 is better than 1

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 2 is better than 1

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    rightwriter
    Participant

What’s the deal with 2 dollar bills being so disliked by banks and stores? People think they are rare and out of print but they still get printed yearly. You can request them at the bank although many times they will give you a hard time and try to make you feel you shouldn’t order them. Why is that?
    In a way they are very useful for transactions under 5 dollars for instance. Instead of using 2 singles or 4 singles you can just use 1 or 2 bills. It makes it easier to pay and carry less bills in the wallet.

I’ve heard the excuse of not having a Slot for them in the register. But this can be easy to fix just place them over the 50’s or whatever since those bills are very rarely used. I’m sure they can come up with many ideas to remedy where to put the 2 dollar bill. I mean seriously I started using them recently and find it very convenient aside for the awkward moment of the cashier looking at it like monopoly money or the owner showing a displeased face like they are reluctantly accepting your money. The 2 dollar bill looks really interesting and pretty with the detailed artwork on the back. The only drawback is that it can be mistakes for a 1 but that can be fixed by redesigning one of the bills or both. Any thoughts?

ujm
    Participant

Use the dollar coin.

rightwriter
    Participant

How does that make it easier to pay with or carry

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Ujm,

Dollar coins are heavy, make noise with other coins and is an affront to George Washington!

rightwriter
    Participant

I never understood their purpose aside for the fact that you are using something the size of a quarter which is actually worth a dollar. They are nice looking coins but unpractical. The whole reason they switched to bills was due to the convenience of not having to carry 20 pounds of coins in the pocket and lose half of them during the day.

Avram in MD
    Participant

rightwriter,

I have a relative who gave some of my kids $2 bills as a gift, and I brought them to a CVS to pick out toys to buy with the gift money. The cashier refused to accept the bills, saying “that’s not real money”, so I ended up paying for the toys using my card. Those bills are still floating around the house somewhere.

As for the dollar coins, I think the two main uses for them are for machines that have to give large amounts of change such as ticket machines for commuter rail, and gambling.

rightwriter
    Participant

“The cashier refused to accept the bills, saying “that’s not real money””

-exactly my point. It’s so rarely used that most people don’t even know that it exists. But another issue is many won’t even accept the 2 dollar bills or make a face and begrudgingly accept them. I’m not sure why. But part of the reason is probably since they aren’t used and go straight back to the bank.

My point is they should be used and be included in daily circulation since they are very practical to use, even though everyone says they aren’t practical. They are very convenient to pay with or receive as change since less bills are needed.

Shimon Nodel
    Participant

One thousand dollar bills are even more convenient. Why do all the bundles of cash in movies show as hundred dollar bills?

rightwriter
    Participant

Actually 1000 dollar bills and up do exist or have existed at some point. The really rich have/had access to them and used them.

But technically speaking they are useful but not as practical as a day to day basis especially for a regular person. I mean why would they even be in circulation? They were typically used for large transactions or bank transfers.

The 2 dollar bill on the other hand (no pun intended) is very useful and practical but for some reason they refuse to keep it in circulation.
    Btw how many thousands do you have that you need such “convenience” lol…no need to answer

ujm
    Participant

There are legal tender $500 and $1000 bills.

Yserbius123
    Participant

Who still uses cash anymore?

rightwriter
    Participant

Cash is great and should never be eliminated. Not everyone is into digital everything, and not everyone wants to have all their transactions tracked for any reason including privacy even though that doesn’t exist anymore. Also when systems are down, physical money can always be used. But we are off topic.

large dollar bills were eliminated to make drug and other illegal payments much heavier. Euros are still there (last time I checked), but maybe Mexicans do not trust in them.

DovidBT
    Participant

There should be three-dollar bills. That would nicely fill the gap between a one-dollar bill and a five-dollar bill.

Gadolhadorah
    Participant

Just use bitcoin or other CC. Elon Musk will let you buy a $100,000 Tesla for what may be $50,000 by the time you take delivery….no need to worry about old fashioned paper currency of any denomination.

rightwriter
    Participant

3 dollar bills are unless since they won’t save you from using additional bank notes. For 6 dollar transaction you would pay with 2 threes but you can use a 5 and a 1. So you aren’t saving the amount of bills used. 2 dollar bills are very convenient especially for transactions under 10 dollars.

I honestly don’t know why they aren’t used. I’m sure many would find them convenient if they were in regular circulation.

DovidBT
    Participant

For 6 dollar transaction you would pay with 2 threes but you can use a 5 and a 1.
    Then there should be six-dollar bills too.

that is why Babylonians used 60 – it is divisible by 2,3,4,5,6,10,12,15,30 , much better than 10….
    too bad the digital generation does not understand “a quarter to 5” any more.
    I once told someone the time “5 to 9”. I could have as well said “9:00”, as the person took those 5 minutes to process the response.

rightwriter
    Participant

“Then there should be six-dollar bills too.”

-very clever DovidbT now we are starting to think. Except that there already is a 2 dollar bill so we don’t need to create that, the topic is about putting them in circulation not creating a bill for every denomination. Try to contribute to the conversation because If your goal is to make us laugh it’s not working.

DovidBT
    Participant

“So you aren’t saving the amount of bills used.”

“the topic is about putting them in circulation not creating a bill for every denomination”

These contradictory statements are very disturbing.

rightwriter
    Participant

The only thing that’s disturbing here is your lack of comprehension

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.