2 questions for the CR community

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 2 questions for the CR community

Viewing 43 posts - 51 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author

Shopping, your teacher obviously has sources contrary to what I wrote. As my request for sources one way or the other was sincere, if you would be so kind as to ask her (and then relay to us) when chillul Hashem applies, and provide sources, I would appreciate it.

Thanks to the posters here who understood what I was saying.

πŸ‘‘RebYidd23
    Participant

Have we ever mocked seminary teachers here? I think we have, but if we haven’t, it’s a shame that their side shot first.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

“LU-I hope you aren’t offended. I’m just saying what she said.”

I wasn’t offended by anything you said. I was talking about someone else – that comment had nothing to do with you. I’m sorry if that was unclear.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

DY + 1 million. Great response! I’m impressed.

btw, I hope you weren’t offended by the comment about your name. I was just trying to figure out which names she could possibly have taken issue with. And it occurred to me that if I had never read any one of your posts and all I knew about you was your name, I would probably have a very different (and negative) opinion of you. I would probably think that you were some kind of radical liberal who thinks that he never has to listen to Rabbanim and can just have his own opinions on everything.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

RebYidd – I’m a seminary teacher and people have made fun of me. So I think you’re yotzei.

DY: I will try to find out…if I can. I am scared that if I ask she might realize it’s me, like I said the post was printed out from this year (not a few years ago) since the time stamps match the ones online. So for all I know she might have come back to get some more stuff. I don’t know. But I will see what I can do. Maybe I’ll wait a while…

edit

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Shopping – I’m impressed with the way you are relating to sem and your sem teachers. Great attitude.

In terms of the above issue, can you have someone else ask her? Preferably someone she would never suspect of being a CR poster.

HaLeiVi
    Participant

In terms of the above issue, can you have someone else ask her? Preferably someone she would never suspect of being a CR poster.

Or just say you’re that ‘someone else’.

Thanks LUL. I try to be. HaLeivi, I’m surprised you are interested in this. Haven’t seen you around in a while. I’ll try to ask this coming week or the next. Will keep you guys posted

Shopping, your teacher isn’t stupid. Please don’t jeopardize your standing in seminary for the curiosity of some of the posters.

Lightbrite
    Participant

I agree with Mod-29.

Shopping613: In theory, it may be fun to find out more but for your anonymity and that of your teacher, think about how that would play out IRL.

While I appreciate you giving us feedback on what was discussed about the CR in your course, you don’t owe anyone here any research.

You are welcome here as you are… and if your teacher wanted to address anyone here, then she can always do so.

Thank you and always nice when you stop by πŸ™‚

Well I in fact wanted to ask her anyway for her sources because this whole situation got my interested in the real definition of a chilul hashem. So I guess it’s too late.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

What do you mean that it’s too late? Too late to ask or too late not to ask? You mean that you were planning to ask but now you can’t because she will know it’s you because of the above posts?

As in I already asked.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Cool. So do you have an answer for us?

Joseph
    Participant

Shopping, nu, so what was her response?

Lightbrite
    Participant

This just got juicier

Hashemisreading
    Participant

Shopping, nu, it seems like everyone’s on shpilkes

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Her teacher probably told her that she has to look into it (i.e. ask her husband).

Neville ChaimBerlin
    Participant

LU – “DY + 1 million. Great response! I’m impressed.

btw, I hope you weren’t offended by the comment about your name.”

Wait, I thought it was the sem teacher that commented on his name?

LU – “I’m a seminary teacher and people have made fun of me. So I think you’re yotzei.”

Waaaaait a minute… Are you guys thinking what I’m thinking?

Waaaaait a minute… Are you guys thinking what I’m thinking?

Lol. Yes, but… no.

Lightbrite
    Participant

Only if you’re thinking what Joseph is thinking

WinnieThePooh
    Participant

Na, she takes this site way too seriously to ever mock it.

But I think that Shopping’s teacher would fit right in here- great sense of humor and great at passing judgement on other people’s opinions. Isn’t that done all the time here?

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

lol.

DY – thanks for the vote of confidence. Yeah, that wouldn’t make too much sense.

Anyhow, I’m not actually teaching in a regular seminary at the moment. I just try to avoid giving too many details about what I’ve done when.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant
    Neville ChaimBerlin
    Participant

LB – “Only if you’re thinking what Joseph is thinking”

How could a person be having the exact same thoughts as Joseph unless they’re just a Joseph alt account.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute… Are you guys thinking what I’m thinking?

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

“????? ?????? ????? ????”

Are you guys thinking what I’m thinking?

(I apologize if I didn’t get the quote exactly right).

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

“Only if you’re thinking what Joseph is thinking”

I think you must have meant Meno – he’s the expert at figuring out everyone’s secret identities.

Meno
    Participant

Are you all thinking what I’m thinking?

Are Shopping613 and Joseph the same person?!

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

Definitely – how did it take you so long to figure that out?

Little Froggie
    Participant

LuL: It’s a wrong quote. Oops, then I’d be ?? ?????…

Lightbrite
    Participant

I meant Joseph.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

LF – is it really wrong, or was that just a joke? If so, can you please enlighten me? It’s a useful quote to know in life…

Little Froggie
    Participant

LuL: It is. Do I ever kid?!?

It’s a Gemarah somewhere so often taken out of context. You’re not my daughter (yet) so I can teach you a piece. Gemarah is discussing problems, pesulim in yichus, like one born from a parent who’s a slave, illegitimate etc. Gemarah then says ?? ????? ???? if one goes around constantly casting a p’esul on others (e.g. he constantly calls others mamzerim), he himself is a posul. Then the gemarah adds Shmuel Says ?????? ????, his p’sul is the same as what he casts on others.

P.S. No, you’re twisting your thumb the wrong way..

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

“P.S. No, you’re twisting your thumb the wrong way”

How did you realize…

And how do you know I’m not your daughter? Maybe your daughter has internet access and you don’t know about it (or she goes to Lakewood and uses their underground method of accessing the CR w/o internet).

Anyhow, thanks for the Gemara lesson. Just don’t tell Joseph…

HaLeiVi
    Participant

Herr Froggie, in what way do people take that out of context?

Little Froggie
    Participant

Because pashtus it’s going on a p’sul of lineage, being mirrored to him.. Like the story with the one with ten sons, nine mamzerim, the negative traits inherent inherited by rote of his ignoble beginnings. Same as why the infamous ben-nidah (yoshke II) went off the way he did.

I don’t think it really applies to anything else, e.g. if someone calls others ganav, does it mean his being is “filled” with geneivus?

And besides, the quote is almost always wrong.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

HaLeivi, I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking for me.

LF: “You’re not my daughter (yet)”

also trying to figure out what that means – the (yet) part. You can’t become someone’s father…. unless you have a son my age…..

Lightbrite
    Participant

Aha! That was smart LU. I had no clue what that meant.

Father-in-law.

Anything is possible.

Little Froggie
    Participant

Can’t believe you guys are SOOOOOO straight. Can’t I decide to mix in one extra weird word, for heavens?!?!?! Reminds me of a certain stern looking… Get used to the world (my world) out there.

(as I said before, do I ever kid?)

Lightbrite
    Participant

No you’re a frog not a goat

updateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

So according to my teacher a chilul Hashem is actually very complex and complicated. She went to a few rabanim and they could not define what it constitutes in a sentance.

The basic idea is that we represent Hashem. Anything to make people think negativity about Hashem is a chilul Hashem. (If you are following halacha and bein adam lichavero properly, then this is not applicable just as if a parent tells you to do something against halacha you do not listen) This includes both Jews and non Jews. If you have a specific scenario or situation where you need guidance at to if it will bring honor or dishonor to Hashem’s name, ask your LOR.

Lightbrite
    Participant

Thanks Shopping613 ~ very informative πŸ™‚

Viewing 43 posts - 51 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.