25-50cents an hr

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 25-50cents an hr

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    yoyo56

is that normal or what?!?!?

many camps are abusing their staff and yess they are paying that much and ppl are working for them!!

is it possible to sue??? is it worth it???

Dr. Pepper
    Participant

YWN moderators make less than that.

The bottom line is- no one is forcing them to take a position there, they’re doing it because they want to be there.

If you take into account the structure, sleeping accommodations, learning, eating… it will be considerably more than $.25 to $.50 an hour.

yoyo56

im talking abt a day camp

camps are a whole diff story!!

am yisrael chai
    Participant

yoyo,

I was just thinking today that I haven’t “seen” you around here in approx. a month…welcome back

WolfishMusings
    Participant

Do minimum wage laws not apply to camp workers?

The Wolf

quark2

Many people go for the “fun atmosphere”, not for the money. Though its personally not my thing

MDG
    Participant

Hi yoyo,

Welcome back. Missed you.

Poster

I worked as a lifeguard in camp and got paid nothing! Our pay was being in a camp environment with friends.

I know this is a day camp but it is still fun. No one forced you to take teh job. If the pat is too little work in an office, which is not as enjoyable!

Many of these teens working in camps are getting money from Youth Corp. In general, even when such as myself worked in a camp as a guest waitress, the assumption was that one would get tips which the camp considers pay. If i remember correctly it was about $400 that i came home with at the end of the summer. Because the supply exceeds the demand this is the way camps run and yes they tell you that your room and board is on the house! So go figure and you will see that it is not as bad as presented.

aries2756
    Participant

The camp is counting on you getting tips. Every counselor knows what they are getting paid for the summer and you take the job so you have what to do. Complaining does not come into the equation. There are many kids who would be happy to have the job you got. You had the choice to take it or NOT. That goes for sleep away or day camp. This is nothing new. This has been going on since camp began. When you take the job you are part of the camp experience. You are too old to be a camper and too young to NOT be doing anything at home the whole summer. So you are still part of the camp experience with a responsibility. You get paid something and your parents don’t have to worry about where you are and what you are doing. You are occupied and hopefully you are having fun. If you aren’t give it up and let someone else on the waiting list take it next year.

If it is about the money, maybe you would be better off being a mother’s helper next summer.

brotherofurs
    Participant

yeah i’m getting paid around there lol… theres nothing really i could do. the head told me how much i was getting paid the dayyy before camp, so how was i supposed to know i was really getting abused.

wtvr next year i’ll just work somewer else b”H.. well if wer not in israel;)

HLM

umm…… i paid to go to camp – to work… i paid a lot

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

Anyone who works in a camp must be mentally deficient. There must be some sort of law that you can pay them less.

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

YWN moderators make less than that.

You bring up a good point; why is okay to volunteer, but illegal to work for below minimum wage?

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

PBA,

anyone that starts new troll threads on a motzei shabbos or sunday morning in NYC must be mentally deficient and there must be some sort of law that you can totally rip him to shreds

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

anyone that starts new troll threads on a motzei shabbos or sunday morning in NYC must be mentally deficient and there must be some sort of law that you can totally rip him to shreds

Would you believe that I work in a camp, and one of the prizes they give out is to YWN with Popa?

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

and one of the prizes they give out is to YWN with Popa?

That doesn’t compute correctly

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

I use YWN as a verb, or more usually I’ll say I’m “yeshiva worlding”

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

oh,

ooooooookkkkkkkkkaaaaayyyyyy (looks at Popa strangely)

yoyo56

thanks!!!! i was actually away in camp for awhile so that i wont have to see ppl i dont like but doesnt look like things got any better but im trying to stay away as much as possible

anyways back to what we were saying abt the pay im actually not a counselor so no i dont get tips working in a day camp is not that much fun ecspecially when ur abused i was given a job in a bungalow but i decided its not such a good place to go so im stuck in the city

i was wondering if its legal to even to do that??

if u have youth corp u are getting minimum wage the only thing is VERY VERY little ppl get

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

*strangely

I know. I’ll change it back. -95

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

thank you 95 you can delete this post and my correction now

You wrote it correctly the first time. I changed it.

aries2756
    Participant

YoYo, what is your point? You took a job you didn’t like and now you are complaining. Didn’t you ask at the interview how much you would get paid? Didn’t you discuss it with your parents and/or friends or figure it out on a calculator? People have the right to make whatever arrangements and agreements they want to, and you have the right to accept or not. What if you loved it and the people were so nice to you and it was the best summer you ever had. Would you feel guilty for getting paid for it? In general people (bosses) look out for their own best interest and that is something you need to know and understand from the get go. When you apply for a job it is your responsibility to ask questions. Ask about pay, ask about days off, ask about your responsibilities. Then decide if you would like it and if it is worth it to you. Once you make your decision, don’t complain about it.

giggle girl
    Participant

i really strongly feel that it is totally disgusting to pay them such little wage. yes, granted, they might have fun with friends, but they are working really hard! and what about all the preparation that goes into it without friends?! huh?! people babysit for sleeping kids and get paid more than that! i think this is total theft of a person’s Kochos.

if anyone here is a camp director or something – PAY YOUR STAFF FAIRLY! don’t cheat them out of their talents and Kochos!

and by the way, for those of you who say it was their choice to work there – if everyone decided not to work there because of the pay, there would be no camp due to a lack of staff. so in that way, they’re doing a chessed and should be commended.

SaysMe

Actually, no. Minimum wage does not apply to summer camp jobs. You know what your being paid going in, and you either accept it or not

yoyo56

i posted thiscuz i wanted to know if ur able to sue looks like not thanks aries for ur advice but wasnt looking for it was just wondering i know i can switch but for diff reasons im not!

i love coffe
    Participant

well since we are on the topic of camp and how much they pay their counselors, here is my problem.

I have been working at a certain day camp every summer since I was really young and they love me because I do a good job and not just sit around and do nothing. Every summer they place me with the little kids (2-5years old)because they trust me and I do my job well, (I like to work for my money). So, this summer I havn’t really decided yet if I wanted to work there since I had many other important things to take care of first. A couple of weeks after camp had already started I get a call from them asking me if i could work there. I said okay, without asking for too many details like how much I would get paid since the people who run the camp and my family are friends and i assumed they would pay me decently and I needed the money.

So, on my first day of camp, the camp director (family friend) tells me that the one in charge of camp( not the family “friend”) is going to pay me the same as every other summer but the camp director would try to ask for a little more for me (about $20 extra). Now here is my problem. Every other summer I was underage so I took whatever they gave me which was fine with me. But now that I was of age, how could they pay me the same as when I was 12?!!! I worked my butt off and sweated in the hot sun taking care of snotty little kids with years of experience and never taking a break to sit at the bench and instead im trying to deserve the money that I get paid, but now this summer they want to pay me the same as every other summer?!!!!! (I would caps evertything if I could, since im really upset right now) But that’s not the worst part. About 2 days later I find out that a couselor around my age is getting paid FOUR times as much as me for the same work. I was shocked. I felt like I was taken advantage of and abused all these summers. I try to work hard for my money. But now I feel like all of my summers of hard work have been nothing. I feel like I wasnt noticed except that they “trust” me with the younger kids (for the camps advantage so they wont have to pay much for a real adult/teacher). I feel like just quitting without to much notice and let them deal with the problem of trying to find a new counselor. How could they do this to me? Sorry this was long. What should I do? I need some direction please.

Btw:

You do sound like you also used this as a “backup” plan so to speak.

You didn’t expect to be there- they sound like they are doing you a favor.

i love coffe
    Participant

whatelseisleft- Are you talking to me? If so, then yes, you might say that they are doing me the favour because I need the money, but arent I doing them the favour of working for them? They did need a counselor really badly and I was called very last minute kind of thing. I could have made much more money elsewhere if I knew they were going to pay me this much. I feel like they just stole from me and my dignity.

aries2756
    Participant

ILC, if you feel that you are being treated unfairly, you should go over to the person and charge and tell them. In addition as an adult you don’t rely on what they should do, or “figure” on what they will do. YOU ask. When they called you to come back it was your responsibility to ask “what are you offering me to come back?” and then you would have the opportunity to say “that is not acceptable and not worth my while. I am not 12 years old any more, and I deserve to get paid like an adult with the experience that I have.”

Did they call you back because of your experience and your ability or did they call you back because they felt they can take advantage of you?

commonsense
    Participant

there are people lined up for these day camp jobs. I know of at least 2 people who offered to give the camp the money to pay their daughters so their daughters would think they have jobs. There was nothing wrong with these girls just there were no jobs available.

i love coffe
    Participant

I feel that they called me so they can take advantage of me.

I went to the head director the day I found out why I was getting paid less than the other girl. She was “shocked” (as if she didnt know about it) and told me that she isnt the one in charge of payments, and that I should go to Mr.___.

So I emailed him but he didnt respond yet. The head counselor asked me the folowing day if I spoke to him yet and I said that I emailed him and he didnt respond yet. So, the head counselor told me that he is probably going to tell me that he is paying the other girl 4x more than me because the other girl works as a teacher during the year at their camp site and all the teachers who work at camp during the summer get paid the same as all year round and if not, the teachers make calculations so that their kids could go to the camp for less $ and the expense of their paychecks.

I really think that he is just finding easy ways to save money and is stealing it from me. Another claim is that they have a certain budget that they can spend. If so, then how did they plan to pay the other teacher that i replaced for the next couple of weeks? they didn’t know that she was going to leave early…

The pay me as a junior counslor yet at the newsletter tht they send every week they have a paper to notify parents for tips and how much is sugested for each counslor and they put me as counslor(not junior counslor). I find this very perplexing…

aries2756
    Participant

ILC, Why did you email him and not go into his office to talk to him? Are you afraid of him? Are you an adult or are you a child? You either have to stand up for yourself or take what you get. Either walk in to his office and speak up, or stay home it is your choice. If you choose to go to work when this is NOT settled then YOU are choosing to accept how they are treating you. If YOU want to get paid as an adult then you either walk into his office or call him on the phone and let him know how you feel and tell him where he can find you. You can let him know that you are highly insulted if he called you back to work just to take advantage of you and pay you what he paid you as a kid. If he called you back because he trusted you with the youngest bunk and needed you for the job, then you expect to get paid like any other trusted counselor or teacher.

It is your choice whether to continue working there no matter what or to stand up for yourself and ONLY work there if they treat you equally as someone else with your experience. Only you can decided how you wish to be respected and treated. Allowing someone to treat you poorly only to complain about it is wrong and YOU are the one responsible for allowing that a to happen.

i love coffe
    Participant

hi aries2756- Thank you for your advice! I guess I just needed someone to tell me to start acting like an adult if I wanted to be treated like one. I spoke with the one in charge of camp, and he is going to talk to the one incharge of the money dealings. Hopefully I get a better pay. I was just so pissed off, but I approched the one in charge very calmly and respectfully and hopefully I’ll get what I want (and deserve). 🙂

i love coffe
    Participant

Finally today I got my paycheck and I got a raise, thank G-d.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.