55 cent increase!

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 55 cent increase!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    ☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Welcome to the new increase in the gas tax that’s being floated around in Albany

Novelty
    Participant

Oh, I thought you were rejoicing over a raise at work… Your superiors finally noticed your worth.
    Can totally retire now. 😉

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Novelty,

I work in a union job so I get a raise every year no matter what I do (as long as I don’t get fired)

But anyways this tax is just going to hurt low and middle class people that need to drive to work every day (myself included)

ujm
    Participant

It’s part of the Biden Inflation catastrophe.

Lostspark
    Participant

The same people that support unions are the same people that support taxes, what are you kvetching about?!?

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Lostspark,

Do you think police officers or public school teachers all support higher taxes? They aren’t affected by higher taxes? Especially a gas tax?

EJMRBro
    Participant

End the fed!

Abba_S
    Participant

Don’t worry becuase Biden shut down the the pipeline the US in many places is going to have to import oil from overseas $5-10 a gallon will be the new price. The Dems also want you to buy electric caes. The only problem is it takes 8-12 hours to fully charge the battery,which is fine if you have your own charger and driveway and want to charge over night. Or you can fast charge it and it will only take an hour at what I assume will be the new gas station.
    The next problem is that new houses can no longer be hooked up to natural gas so all future building will use electricity for both heating and cooking. New Electric plants will have to be built and new electric wiring will have to be done. Who do you think is going to be paying for this, What happans in a blackout? No gas power generators as there will be no gas stations

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Ctlawyer obviously doesn’t care about this because it seems like it doesn’t affect him as opposed to the SALT deduction which he was crying about when Trump was president

n0mesorah
    Participant

Dear Abba,

You are confusing what is solutions to no partisan problems with the actual problems.

n0mesorah
    Participant

Dear Coffee,

Thanks for the welcome! Where would you rather the increase in revenues for meaningless spending come from?

Gadolhadorah
    Participant

Abba S: Don’t let the facts influence your rather simplistic view of energy sector economics.

The Keystone XL pipeline, whose border crossing permit was rescinded by Biden, would have had little, if any, affect on near-term gasoline prices. Those prices follow current crude oil prices, and other factors such as crude inventories and refining capacity. If Biden were to reverse course tomorrow, it would years 3-5 years or longer to complete construction and for Alberta Tar Sands crude oil (carried by the pipeline) to reach refineries in TX. Even then because tar sands oil is heavy and sour requiring specific refinery capabilities, even its sponsors acknowledged that it would be used almost entirely to replace Venezuelan imports, a similar kind of petroleum. Could the Keystone cancellation have increased inflationary expectations–perhaps. But the American Petroleum Institute agrees that would not have any material affect on the prices you pay at the pump for the next several years.
    The post-Covid demand spike in global gasoline demand accounts for the major portion of recent price spikes.

CTLAWYER
    Participant

@CoffeeAddict
    Nice to put words in my mouth….NOT
    This thread is about a NY State gas tax
    My CR Name is NOT NYLawyer
    It is more than 10 years since I have had occasion to purchase gasoline in NY State.
    Last Sunday, I had to pick something up in upper Manhattan. The round trip used less than a quarter tank of gas, no need to buy gas in NY State.

BTW>>>>Mrs. CTL and I have decided that my next car will be electric. Our home has Solar that produces more electricity (over 45000KHW/yr}than we use. It will cost nothing to charge the car.
    Currently, the makers of the fast charge charging stations are offering them at no cost to building owners. I am having 4 installed at our law offices.

Our town is in the middle of rewriting our zoning regulations. I am lobbying for requiring all new commercial buildings and apartments/condo to install the same amount of high speed charging stations as handicapped parking spaces currently required by law.
    My lobbying git a big boost this week, as the UK will require very new building or residence constructed after Jan 1, 2022 to have charging stations. They will ban the sale of new gas or diesel cars in 2030.
    I have natural gas in my home and businesses in CT. It wasn’t available where we own in Florida, but it doesn’t matter as we have solar.
    As for back up generators, we don’t have one, and don’t really see the need. Our solar system has storage batteries that can keep us going a week.

The pandemic has taught us how much work can be done from home. I haven’t driven my car since last Monday. I used to drive about 1500 miles per month, the past year it has averaged less than 400. Since the gas taxes in CT are earmarked to pay for highway upkeep and construction, decreased sales mean decreased revenue and taxes might have to be raised. BUT…unlike NY, NJ, MA, PA we have no toll roads or bridge in CT, so the gas tax is merely a user fee which I don’t mind paying

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Maybe for pork spending they should get it from that itself

A tax on pork! (It’s cheap anyways)

Abba_S
    Participant

You know they have been nickle and diming you for years. If you travel out of state you can gas up there if it’s cheaper. I used yo gas up in NJ but now it’s the same or more so I don’t bother

Abba_S
    Participant

NO: I think he want the revenue to come from the rich. The problem is that the rich have accountants and Tax ;awyers, so who ends up paying? The middleclass and the working poor.

n0mesorah
    Participant

Correction: non partisan problems….

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

The post-Covid demand spike in global gasoline demand accounts for the major portion of recent price spikes.

Either that or due to the fact that there was less supply to meet the current demand of oil consumption

☕️coffee addict
    Participant

Ctlawyer,

So I was right it doesn’t affect you, so you don’t care about it

n0mesorah
    Participant

Dear Abba,

More or less agreed. Biden is better for the middle class on this one. As if that helps.

Gadolhadorah
    Participant

CT Lawyer: I assume Eversource offers net metering in your area. I have some friends who installed solar but were surprised when they received a 1099 from the utility for their cash-out balance.

CTLAWYER
    Participant

@CoffeeAddict
    It isn’t that I don’t care about it. I don’t waste time following state tax issues in other states. I have no opinion one way or another about the proposed NY gas tax increase. This is no different than when your income tax or sales tax rates change. I focus on taxes that affect my family and business.

I don’t know how much you currently pay in NY State gas taxes. 55 cents might be a reasonable increase or it might not. It is up to NYers to take action. Your state government doesn’t care about my opinion, as I neither vote in NY or donate to candidates there.

As I stated, CT has no tolls, so gas tax is the user fee that is to upkeep our roads and brisges and tunnels. I don’t mind paying user fees,

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.