6:06 AM…I already voted

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 6:06 AM…I already voted

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    CTLAWYER
    Participant

After more than a year of controversy, discussions, arguments, outlandish claims and false news stories Election Day 2016 has arrived.

I was at my local polling location at 6 AM, voted and out the door in 3 minutes.

I’ve done my part, if you a US Citizen living in the USA go do yours.

Not registered to vote? Most states allow same day voter registration.

If you don’t vote today, your complaints after the election are not worth reading, you had your chance to make a difference.

Joseph
    Participant

So have I.

Joseph
    Participant

CTL, polls only open at 6. How’d you manage to vote, get home and post about it by 6:06, considering you only carry a flip phone?

ahavas_yisroel
    Participant

So who did everyone vote for?

ubiquitin
    Participant

joseph, arent you forgetting he is a democrat

#voteearlyvoteoften

“If you don’t vote today, your complaints after the election are not worth reading, you had your chance to make a difference.”

Cmon thats nonesense, and it surprises me when otherwise inteeligent people repeat that.

you very well know that as a New York Resident I dont “have a chance to make a diference” so much so, that the candidates never bothered campaigning in the largest city in the country

That said this time I did vote, so I can tell my kids if R”l The Donald gets elected and my kids asked me what I did to stop it I can tell them I tried.

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

That said this time I did vote, so I can tell my kids if R”l The Donald gets elected and my kids asked me what I did to stop it I can tell them I tried.

You call that trying? I’m gonna eat breakfast, so I can say I tried to stop Hillary.

TheGoq
    Participant

Ubiq that was a low blow CT has proven himself to be an honorable man, Joseph why couldn’t he vote then go outside and post from his phone?

ubiquitin
    Participant

DY

Lol

The Goq

In case you havent read many of my posts, Im a Democrat too. IT was a joke

TheGoq
    Participant

Ok sorry.

golfer
    Participant

CT, surprised at you!

Your comments always seem wise and fair, even if I might not agree with your viewpoint.

But, as ubiq already told you, saying you can’t complain if you didn’t vote is utter nonsense, especially in the US.

In a parliamentary system you might have a point. With our electoral college system putting power over the military and the economy in the hands of one person who possibly did not even receive the majority of the votes of the electorate in his country- you are just plain wrong.

To misquote a famous person, the canard of every man’s vote counting is the opiate of the masses.

(For those who don’t quite get it, I’m not suggesting anybody with the legal right to vote should not vote. Vote, but do so with your eyes open.)

flatbusher
    Participant

I live in NY and I looked at all the relevant candidates. I would like to vote but honestly, the selection of people…most I haven’t heard of. No one of any note is running against Schumer, and we lose no matter if it’s Trump or Clinton. I do agree that if we don’t vote, it will look as if we don’t care. But I don’t recall seeing or hearing about single candidate for any office coming to my neighborhood or evne surrounding ones. SO seems candidates don’t care.

CTLAWYER

so i guess you approve toaiva & not doing brissim or shechita & many other things that hillary is against that are mitzvos in the torah. How will you answer your father Hashem when he asks you why you went against the torah by voting hillary? you may want to start doing teshuva ASAP

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Joseph,

I was voter number 2 at my polling place. I had my Kindle with me and posted using the wifi in the school after voting.

I always carry my Kindle as I have downloaded books/sforim should I have waits to see someone. Later this morning I went to Motor Vehicles to handle a registration issue. One hour wait, the Kindle came in handy

Alizgit
    Participant

@Flatbusher

It is of up-most importance to vote no matter if you think “your” candidate has a shot where you live or not. Regardless of who wins this go around, the politicians see (with exceptions) which areas/demographics vote.

If they see certain areas of the city have a higher voter turnout they will more readily listen to such areas.

GET OUT AND VOTE!!

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Golfer….

I did NOT say you can’t complain if you didn’t vote. Please don’t attribute that to me.

I wrote “If you don’t vote today, your complaints after the election are not worth reading, you had your chance to make a difference.” AND I addressed that only to US Citizens of age to vote.

Anyone can complain, it’s a physical ability. I however, place no value on complaints about election results by those eligible to vote who didn’t

CTLAWYER
    Participant

ubiquitin………..

There were many other races besides POTUS. An individual vote can make a difference.

We are elected members of our (CT) State legislature. This summer the primary was held. The incumbent won our town by ONE vote. Her race in the general election is neck and neck with her Republican opponent and both were polling 50%. One vote could make the difference.

We are also electing all members of the US House of Representatives and 1/3 of the Senate.

BTW>>>as was mentioned by another poster, I am a Democrat. BUT we have no party levers and I can report that I did vote for one Republican today who was opposed by a Democrat in an election for our state legislature.

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Flatbusher,

I don’t live in the big city. Candidates for Congress, US Senate, State legislature have been door knocking every weekend since Labor Day. Our home has rec’d visits from every candidate for those offices as well as local elected officials supporting them.

I personally when out 2 Sundays in my own Town Council District door knocking and handing out campaign literature.

It is much easier to do this in a town of single family homes, than trying to access apartment buildings or gated condo developments.

In 2015 when I ran for town office, I personally called on or telephoned 90% of the registered voters (The other 10 per cent live in a nursing home or assisted living community who does not allow access). This afternoon I’ll work a shift at my local polling place greeting voters and pressing the flesh. Those of us not up for election this year still make a showing to keep our name, and face in the voters mind for next year. Small town politics is different, my Town Council campaign expenses last year were less than $600 and there are 6500 registered voters in my district.

flatbusher
    Participant

I am just reporting my experience here in Brooklyn. Because of lack of campaigning, I know nothing about the candidates on the ballot, so I should just pull a lever for anyone as long as a I pull a lever? I am not alone in not researching candidates especially if no one brings to our attention who is running. So you are in politics? I for one think frum people should stay out of politics.

iacisrmma
    Participant

flatbusher: I am not sure when was the last time you voted but NYC hasn’t used the lever machines for a number of years. We know use paper ballots that then scanned into a computer.

As for voting, there are still local elections that are important such as the state senate and state assembly.

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Flatbusher…………….

If the candidates running in your district did not get information to you, sham on them. Even at the local level a minimum of two mailers to your committed party members and up to 6 to undecided or registered in other parties is the norm.There are also debates, forums at the schools and appearance on local radio and TV shows.

I have no problem being involved in politics at the local level. My tax dollars are as good as anyone else’s (I own and pay taxes on several homes in my town)and why shouldn’t I have a chance to formulate the town budget and set priorities?

I would never seek an office where nit is necessary to respond to emergencies or function on Shabbos or Yuntif. Our Town Council meetings and hearings calendar is cleared by all local clergy before it is finalized. We have multiple council members representing each district and constituents never call me on Shabbos or Yuntif, they call anon-Jewish member or wait.

Participant

CTL, polls only open at 6. How’d you manage to vote, get home and post about it by 6:06, considering you only carry a flip phone?

Jaguar E-Type

iacisrmma
    Participant

CTLAWYER: Politics in NYC is different then other locations. The incumbents are generally so entrenched that they do not find it necessary to campaign or they are unopposed (such as Simcha Felder). Our local elections (Mayor and City Council) are in 2017.

flatbusher
    Participant

I have voted in every election, major or otherwise, since I was old enough to vote. It seems to absurd to vote for names without knowing what they stand far and who show no interest in know me.

CT: I am not talking about SHabbos issues, but you need to represent all people and there can be issues where the issue is contrary to your belief. But I know there is no way of convincing a person bent on being a politician that he shouldn’t, espcially since you seem to enjoy pressing the flesh.

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Member………

actually today I was driving the XJ8 Vanden Plas. The E type has already been winterized and is in storage until after next Pesach.

No German or Japanese cars for me.

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Flatbusher….

those issues really don’t come up in small town government situations. Since each of our Town’s districts has 5 (or more Town Council members) it is less of a problem to vote my own beliefs (and I live in the most Jewish district) or simply abstain from a vote.

I am not bent on being a politician, and my elective office receives no pay or reimbursement for expenses. I do feel it imperative to be involved in local government as local issues such as property taxes, planning and zoning affect me directly as a resident and also my clients as an attorney

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

7:07 pm… I already voted.

I walked.

Also, I’m back from Ma’ariv.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

“Also, I’m back from Ma’ariv.”

That did more for Am Yisrael than all the votes in the world! Thank you!

YesOrNo
    Participant

I usually vote early in the day. However since my wife and kids have taken a strong interest in this election we went to vote together.

TheGoq
    Participant

YON who did your kids vote for?

yehudayona
    Participant

FWIW, Jaguar hasn’t been British-owned since 1990, when Ford took it over. Ford sold it to Mumbai-based Tata Motors in 2008. So your Jaguars may not be German or Japanese, but they’re not strictly British either (unless they’re pre-1990).

I also live in an area where my vote didn’t count. It’s a given that Hillary will get NY’s electoral votes. U.S. senator and congressman face token opposition, state assembly unopposed. There are eight people unknown to me running for seven slots on the state supreme court. Rather than voting for one of the two deplorables at the top of the major party tickets, I did my first-ever write-in.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

I just davened Maariv. DY, thanks for the reminder that I had to daven Maariv (2X) before Alos since I missed Mincha. I might have forgotten otherwise.

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

Your welcome (certainly unintentional).

I believe that’s the only time a woman is mechuyeves to daven Ma’ariv.

Lightbrite
    Participant

“That said this time I did vote, so I can tell my kids if R”l The Donald gets elected and my kids asked me what I did to stop it I can tell them I tried.”

ubiquitin: Amen. Me too!

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

True. Although a friend of mine told me that her husband’s Rav (Rav Shmuel Kaminetzky) says that she has to daven Maariv on Shabbos in order to avoid the problem of her husband not being able to be motzi her in Kiddush since he already davened Maariv so it’s D’Rabbanim for him and D’Orasia for her (if she didn’t daven Maariv).

That was the only time I have ever heard anyone give that as a solution though. And it is possible that he meant it as a chumra.

☕ DaasYochid ☕
    Participant

Even to keep that chumra, she can just say “Boruch m’kadesh Hashabbos” or similar, without davening Ma’ariv.

Lilmod Ulelamaid
    Participant

I think that most people say that you have to say something (good Shabbos or whatever). The chumra was to actually daven Maariv, which solves the problem more than just saying “good Shabbos” or “Boruch m’kadesh HaShabbos”.

But again, I’m not sure that he meant it as a chumra (and not a chiyuv)- that is just my guess, since I don’t think that anyone else says that, and it would be the obvious solution to the problem.

YesOrNo
    Participant

Goq: My kids voted for Trump. We have been discussing elections since June. (Thank you YWN for doing an amazing job keeping us informed throughout!). We spoke about different policies and character traits and behaviors. It was a great learning experience. They were very excited to come along and press the buttons in the voting booth.

YesOrNo
    Participant

The local polling station was filled with families coming to vote!

The election officials were very impressed and said it’s so nice that parents bring their kids along.

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Yehudayona………

The E Type is 1971 convertible V12 owned since new.

The Vanden Plas was made in England under Tata ownership. I have no problem with Indian ownership of Jaguar and Land Rover

I thought the Jaguars produced under Ford ownership were terrible.

Clinton won CT as expected, lost my little Republican town. All area state legislators were reelected, but State Senator by a tiny margin.

We don’t elect trial or appeals court judges in CT.

My trust clients are going nuts, markets tanking, equity being lost

golfer
    Participant

Markets dropped day after Obama’s election too.

Markets often drop the day after pres election.

Tell your trust clients they don’t need to “go nuts”. Surely they have experienced market fluctuations before. And know that the purpose of hiring a good investment manager is to help get them safely through the market’s recurring ups and downs.

(Not that I’m running for position of CR investment analyst/ financial whiz or anything. I don’t drive a Jaguar. But I once saw one at the zoo.)

CTLAWYER
    Participant

Golfer……………

Old people get nervous when they see their portfolio drop in value and need hand holding.

I have a $20 Million dollar trust I administer that took a $3 million hit overnight, recovered 1/2 of that during the trading day. I reminded the client that these are not items bought for sale or short term holding, but income and long term growth for grand and great grandchildren. We’ll ride it out as we did the Bush recession of 2007/8.

That said, I needed to spend more than 4 hours today on the phone reassuring clients, most of whom I don’t hear from more than once a year.

Joseph
    Participant

The stock market went up the first day following President-Elect Donald Trump’s electoral victory.

golfer
    Participant

Noticed that, Joseph.

And the Dow started today at a record high.

Joseph
    Participant

And now the Dow closed at a record high on Day 2 after the Trump victory.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.