8 BILLION dollars spent on nothing every year!

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 8 BILLION dollars spent on nothing every year!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

A recent article in a Jewish magazing (I forgot the name, I think something like Binyan) got me thinking

The article talked about how the world wastes 8 Billion dollars a year to see little particles crash together…I thought it couldn’t be true, but it is! Now you know where all your taxes go to!

Basically in particles are atoms and in atoms are something else and in that is something else and so on….the difference between every day items we see like a chair and table is the ammount of atoms, particles, and all those smaller things in it. Scientists are trying to find the smallest particle or atom or whatever you call it and are trying to recreate it, but to do so they must find the smallest thing which until recently was called the God particle! The God Particle was so small they tried to recreate one by using a machine to crash particles together again again until they go smaller.

Recently they found out how to recreate the God particle! All you need is 3 even smaller particles which now they are trying to find which will probobly have even smaller particles…..you get it!

I find this is stupid and a waste of our money and not to mention it uses up the same ammount of electricity to light up all of NY! That’s ALOT of electricity!

Would anyone like to share their thoughts on this?

Why does this always happen? It says 2 posts when there’s only one! It is very annoying

[$]613 (Shopping613

The founder of SUC, The Awarder of SUC, The head of operations of SUC

Bowwow
    Participant

Very often, the experiments will yield results other than those intended. For example, no one set out to invent the X-Ray machine but it was the result of another experiment. So while 8 Billion to crash atoms together seems like a lot, you never know what else can come from it.

Josh31
    Participant

Most developed nations are paying towards this 8 Billion. Hence, the per person burden is low.

For those who do not want to believe in G-d every new discovery strengthens their non belief.

For those who believe in G-d every new discovery strengthens their belief in G-d and their appreciation of the world G-d created.

akuperma
    Participant

The “g” is “god particle” should be lower case since it does not refer to any sort of diety. They are using the work to mean a basic sub-atomic particle from which all others are constructed. It is a bit chutzpahdik to call it such, but it does NOT refer in any way to “G-d”.

A “basic particle” is similar to saying that the basic element of Hebrew (and any other) writing system is a “dot” — put enough dots together and you can create any letter. No big hiddush.

Such research has led to many useful inventions in the past (radio, electronics, and nuclear energy being the most important commercially), which is why governments and private companies fund it. Whether basic scientific research is cost effective is a different matter, but certainly it is not ridculous to believe that it may, or may not, be worth the money.

I still say its a waste of money, US should put more money into stopping Iran!

uneeq
    Participant

Shopping613: I don’t mean to be offensive, but you have an extremely limited (and mostly wrong) understanding of the Boson Higgs particle and what the scientists are trying to achieve. It makes you look silly when you try to explain to others.

One more thing- I personally am against government funding of such projects, but stating that all our tax dollars go to an 8 billion dollar, multi government project, is also foolish. Even if the U.S. alone would pay for the whole project, it would still make up for only .15% of taxes paid in 2011.

SayIDidItâ„¢
    Participant

Why does this always happen? It says 2 posts when there’s only one! It is very annoying

For some reason, when you make a thread it shows 2 posts. If you would sign out you will see it only has one post. Don’t let it bother you. But if it really doea, you can spend $8 Billion to figure out why!!!!!

SiDi™

Lol I’m saying that isn’t all of Israel getting blown off the map just possibly maybe a little more important?

uneeq
    Participant

Shopping: Stopping Iran is a political issue, not a financial one. An issue that Barack Hussein Obama has handled very poorly.

Yea but don’t you need like money to build rockets or convince country’s to be on your side? Like I mean isn’t poverty important? So many other things they could use it for…

[$]613 (Shopping613

The founder of SUC, The Awarder of SUC, The head of operations of SUC

JustHavingFun
    Participant

I’m all for basic scientific research such as the particle physics you disdained in your post. US Government spending for basic research in the past 3 decades has declined precipitously; concurrently, the US is lagging behind its stellar record of scientific discoveries and inventions of the earlier half of the 20th century.

The spending I am totally against is the inanity of the Democratic and Republican conventions!!!! How many tens of thousands of dollars are thrown away on balloons? (Of course, if I were the balloon merchant, I’d be thrilled!) Stop the insanity of these ninnies giving themselves self-congratulatory parties and get the governing people back in their offices!

Bump

gavra_at_work
    Participant

I didn’t see it then, but I completely disagree with the OP and agree with JustHavingFun.

kkls45

How do you think that all those bombs were created? it all comes from nuclear chemistry and you need to know all about the atoms including how they collide to even think of starting to create nuclear weapons.

Curiosity
    Participant

Shopping 613- electricity cannot be “used up,” since it is just the movement of charged particles. What you really mean is energy is wasted. Consider that the technology used to generate and store the energy you are so concerned about wasting was invented using ideas that were learned from experiments not unlike this one.

Do we really need bombs? If everyone would just stop war….but its still too much money.

Curiosity
    Participant

It’s really not that much money, on a global scale.

You think the world is working together on this?????? Its only america, now do the math.

Note: remembrr to subtract the 2-3million homeless people who dont pay taxes.

gavra_at_work
    Participant

This is possibly the most important research out there. Who knows waht may be found that can help mankind? Zero point energy, fusion, and faster space travel are only a few of the possibilities.

Besides, it is much better than spending money on useless items such as advertising cotton in India, biofuel standards or sending out a spaceship to figure out the turtle’s gender.

just my hapence
    Participant

GAW – No need for a space-ship (although Da Quirm made a very handy one), Great A’Tuin is clearly female. Unless it is the male of Chelys galactica that gives birth – she/he/it had 8 baby Great Star Turtles at one point.

gavra_at_work
    Participant

GAW – No need for a space-ship (although Da Quirm made a very handy one), Great A’Tuin is clearly female. Unless it is the male of Chelys galactica that gives birth – she/he/it had 8 baby Great Star Turtles at one point.

You never know, such a heavy magical field may “change” standard gender practices. Like making a female wizard (against the lore!) due to the giving over of a staff, for example.

ZachKessin

Did you know that the digital cameras that are now everywhere came out of that self same research that you are saying is a waste of money? Actually the project to which you are referring is at CERN which is outside Geneva, and is sponsored by the USA and many other countries.

For what its worth the wars in Iraq and Afganistan cost orders of magnitude more than everything being done at CERN, and every other physics lab in the world.

As for the Higgs boson, which is sometimes called “The God Particle”, the reason its called that was some one was talking about how hard it is to find, and when he was quoted an expletive was dropped out.

just my hapence
    Participant

GAW – That was different. A) It wasn’t because of the magical field but because she was mistakenly identified as the 7th son of a 7th son and the handing over of the staff is irreversible. B) It was a quasi-sociological issue, not an anatomical or biological one. Same reason there is the occasional male witch…

gavra_at_work
    Participant

GAW – That was different. A) It wasn’t because of the magical field but because she was mistakenly identified as the 7th son of a 7th son and the handing over of the staff is irreversible. B) It was a quasi-sociological issue, not an anatomical or biological one. Same reason there is the occasional male witch…

FYI, it was the eighth son of the eighth son. Even so, “Unless it is the male of Chelys galactica that gives birth” is a large Caveat (as is the species).

just my hapence
    Participant

Sorry, mix-up with Arthurian legend going on…

This is SO long… can you sum up your posts in asentance or something?

Curiosity
    Participant

Summary: “You are wrong.” 😉

Not me, the article i read

Curiosity
    Participant

Ummm… what?

The article was wrong, i didnt make it up

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.