June 30, 2010 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm #591889chofetzchaimMember
A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his
class about bananas. He said the expression “going bananas”
is from the effects of bananas on the brain. Read on:
Bananas contain three natural sugars: sucrose, fructose, and
glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant,
sustained, and substantial boost of energy. Research has
proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a
strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the
number one fruit with the world’s leading athletes.
But energy isn’t the only way a banana can help us keep fit.
It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of
illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our
Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND
amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much
better after eating a banana. This is because bananas
contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts
into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood,
and generally make you feel happier.
Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production
of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.
Blood pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high
in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat
blood pressure. So much so, the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make
official claims for the fruit’s ability to reduce the risk
of blood pressure and stroke.
Brain power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) School
(England) were helped through their exams this year by
eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to
boost their brain power. Research has shown that the
potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils
Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet
can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome
the problem without resorting to laxatives.
Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is
to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana
calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up
depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and
re-hydrates your system.
Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the
body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana
for soothing relief.
Morning sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to
keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream,
try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana
skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing
swelling and irritation.
Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins, which help calm the
Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of
Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to
gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at
5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese
were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report
concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we
need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high
carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.
Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against
intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and
smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten
without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also
neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating
the lining of the stomach.
Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a
“cooling” fruit that can lower both the physical and
emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for
example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is
born with a cool temperature.
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD
sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer
Smoking and tobacco use: Bananas can also help people trying
to give up smoking. The B6 and B12 they contain, as well as
the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body
recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize
the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain, and regulates your
body’s water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic
rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can
be re-balanced with the help of a high-potassium banana
Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of
Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut
the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!
Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you
want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and
place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully
hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!
So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When
you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein,
twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five
times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins
and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the
best value foods around. So maybe its time to change that
well-known phrase so that we say, “A banana a day keeps the
PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the
I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take
the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the
shoe…polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!
(received in email)June 30, 2010 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm #687860chofetzchaimMember
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.
5. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!
6. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
7. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don’t have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
8. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
9. Stressed out and don’t have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
10. Just finished a business lunch and realize you don’t have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
11. Looking for a ‘green’ way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won’t leave streaks and won’t harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.
12. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!
Pass this along to everybody you know who is looking for better and safer ways to solve life’s everyday problems..
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.