2 pounds Yukon Gold or baking potatoes
1 medium onion
1 large egg beaten
3-4 tablespoons of flour or matzah meal
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Peel the potatoes and put them in cold water. Using a food processor (or a grater, if you are a gluten for punishment), coarsely grate the potatoes and onions.
2. Place together in a fine-mesh strainer to squeeze out water.
3. Mix the potato and onion with the flour.
4. Add the egg and salt and pepper.
5. Heat a griddle or non-stick pan with at least one-inch of vegetable oil.
6. Drop around 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture into the pan. After a few seconds, flatten the mound with the back of spatula.
7. Fry for a few minutes until golden. Flip the latke over and brown the other side.
8. Remove to paper towels to drain.
9. Serve immediately or keep warm (and crispy) in a 250 degree oven.