Leaving the oven on over yom tov

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee Leaving the oven on over yom tov

  • This topic contains 19 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Feif Un 8 years ago.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #597325

    Imaofthree
    Participant

    Thirteen people in Teaneck were treated from carbon monoxide poisoning from an oven that was left on for two days. (refuah shelayma to them) Do you leave your oven on, what do you use to warm up or cook food on yom tov/shabbos?

    I use a crockpot for choulent on shabbos and electric hot plates but I did leave a small flame on the cook top of my gas oven, covered with a blech. We have a carbon monoxide detector. but maybe I shouldn’t leave any gas on at all for two days.

    #775897

    The Buzz
    Member

    I once read to leave the blech on for as little as possible, so i only put it on when heating multiple foods. bec. of the heat, that’s all we leave on over yom tov and crock pot for shabbos.

    #775898

    ShloimieB
    Participant

    These incidents did not happen years ago. They are a direct result of having no air leakage and great insulation. it might be healthier to have less perfect insulation.

    #775899

    The Buzz
    Member

    yeah, we also left our kitchen vent on…

    #775900

    emlf
    Member

    If you don’t have a blech on over the fire, isn’t there a greater chance of the fire being blown out – gust of wind, etc?

    On Pesach, I walked into someone’s house and immediately smelled gas. Yes, indeed, the fire had blown out. No blech.

    Not that things are perfect with a blech, but I think it’s safer that way. I could be wrong.

    Yes, good idea to have a window open a little bit in the kitchen . . .

    #775901

    wanderingchana
    Participant

    Smoke/CO detectors save lives!!!

    #775902

    Ofcourse
    Member

    Its upsetting to think that outsiders see us as doing risky things in the name of religion, leading to additional use of fire department and ambulance and hospital personnel. I wish there would be an easy solution. Non stop use for 2 or 3 days is more than most appliances are made to tolerate, in addition to carbon monoxide issues.

    #775903

    charliehall
    Participant

    Back when ranges had pilot lights, this was not an issue, as you could turn off the burner itself as long as the pilot light was still lit.

    #775904

    I recommend placing your food on top of a crockpot, hot water urn or other source of heat especially when leaving the stove on generates extra heat in the house besides the carbon problem.

    #775905

    Ofcourse
    Member

    K E B E, placing food on a crockpot works if you have a small family, but if you have a large family or lots of company and are warming several courses, its not doable.

    #775906

    thecommissioner
    Participant

    My Carbon Monoxide detector went off 3 am. I immediately opened my windows and door to air out the house. Carbon Monoxide detectors save lives!!

    #775907

    True, but for larger families have the hot plate on a timer. Just a suggestion…

    #775908

    Health
    Participant

    I think it’s safer to leave the oven on, than the stove. The stove with the blech is good for shabbos, not for a two day yom tov. I keep the oven on “warm” and raise it as needed. You can lower it again if you don’t want the food to get overcooked or while the light is off.

    #775909

    SJSinNYC
    Member

    Hey, I’m famous LOL.(and its 13.5! don’t forget my almost born child)

    B”H for carbon monoxide detectors.

    The problem was a combination of an old, leaky stove and new windows. Withour old, leaky windows, this wasn’t an issue. I also think I might have turned the flame down a bit low, which can increase the chances of incompolete combustion.

    None of us were seriously injured in any way. All we needed was some oxygen, but we all did have a scare.

    Important things to remember:

    1) Always make sure your CO detectors are functioning and located in proper positions. Too close to the source will just make it a nuisance alarm – too far and it won’t detect until too late.

    2) Get out of the house immediately. Many of us were in odd combinations of clothing or lackthereof, but CO is DEADLY. Pikuach nefesh trumps the need to put on your kippah, skirt, head covering etc.

    3) Carbon monoxide is lethal and odorless. Headaches, vomitting, nausea, dizziness and fatigue are all common signs. If you suspect anything, call 911 immediately.

    #775910

    Health
    Participant

    SJS – Teaneck is in Jersey, so why SJS in NYC?

    #775911

    hanib
    Participant

    wow, boruch Hashem you’re all okay.

    #775912

    SJSinNYC
    Member

    when I signed up, I was living in Brooklyn.

    #775913

    B”H- Mi k’amcha yisrael- You’re more than famous…You’re part of the Yiddishe family! B”H you and you mishpacha, Ka”H, are ok.

    #775914

    zahavasdad
    Participant

    This happend to a friend of mine on the first day

    the CO dectecter went off on the first day and the fire department came down to their apartment

    #775915

    Feif Un
    Participant

    If you’re going to leave the oven or stove on, just leave a kitchen window open. If you have a ceiling fan, leave that on as well. I once had my CO alarm go off on Yom Tov, and was told to do that. Once I started with that, it never went off again. Just note, if you leave a burner on with an open window (or fan), check it to be sure a breeze doesn’t blow out a burner set on the lowest setting. Then you’d have the gas running without a flame, and that can cause a huge fire.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.


Trending