Pointless Safety Instructions
Home › Forums › Decaffeinated Coffee › Pointless Safety Instructions
- This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years, 10 months ago by ☕️coffee addict.
March 15, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am #595708Ken ZaynMember
A friend bought a sun windshield cover for his car to keep it cool in the summer. The label said “Do NOT use while driving”!!!
An “I am 2” badge that we bought for my kid’s birthday had printed on the back “Not suitable for children under 36 months”!!!
Why do manufacturers do this? I found many more examples:
On Sears hair dryer:
Do not use while sleeping.
On a bag of Fritos:
You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside.
On a bar of Dial soap:
Directions: Use like regular soap.
On some Swanson frozen dinners:
Serving suggestions: Defrost.
Printed on the bottom of Tiramisu dessert:
Do not turn upside down.
On Marks and Spencer Bread Pudding:
Product will be hot after heating.
On packaging for a Rowenta iron:
Do not iron clothes on body.
On a Children’s Cough Medicine:
Do not drive a car or operate machinery after taking this medication.
On Nytol Sleep Aid:
Warning: May cause drowsiness.
On a brand of Xmas lights:
For indoor or outdoor use only.
On a packet of peanuts:
Warning: Contains nuts.
On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.
On a child’s Superman costume:
Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.
On a Swedish chain saw:
Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands.
On a toboggan:
Beware: Sledge may develop high speed under certain snow conditions.
On a knife sharpener:
Caution: knives are sharp.
On shin pads for cyclists:
Shin guards cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover.
On a take away coffee cup:
Caution: Hot beverages are hot.
Emergency safety procedures at a US summer camp:
In case of flood, proceed uphill. In case of flash flood proceed uphill quickly.
In a microwave oven manual:
Do not use for drying pets.
On the back of a pilot’s seat in a Nato aircraft:
Seat must be facing forward for take-off and landing.
On the bottom of a cola bottle:
Do not open here.
On a Harry Potter wizards broom:
This broom does not actually fly.
On a box of aspirin:
Do not take if allergic to aspirin.
On a bottle of laundry detergent:
Remove clothing before distributing in washing machine.
On a muffin packet:
Remove wrapper, open mouth, insert muffin, eat.
On a ketchup bottle:
Instructions: Put on food.
On a bottle of rum:
Open bottle before drinking.
A sign in a street in Hong Kong:
Beware of people.
Rules on a tram in Prague:
Beware! To touch these wires is instant death. Anyone found doing so will be persecuted.
Sign on newly-renovated ramp entrance, USA:
Take care: new non-slip surface.
On a can of air freshener:
For use by trained personnel only.
On a bottle of baby lotion:
Keep away from children.
On a pair of socks bought in egypt:
Do not wash.
On a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle:
Some assembly required.
On a can of pepper spray used for self defense:
May irritate eyes.
On a Frisbee Flyind Saucer toy:
Warning: may contain small parts.
On a packet of cashew nut pieces:
Warning: This product may contain residue of nuts.
In a hotel bedroom:
Please do not turn on TV except when in use.
On a toilet cleaning brush:
Do not use orally.
On a can of Spray paint:
Do not spray in your face.
On a blowtorch:
Not used for drying hair.
On a bottle of hair dye:
Do not use as Ice Cream topping.
On a push along lawn mower:
Not to be used as a hedge trimmer.
On a box of fireworks:
Do not put in mouth.
On a toaster:
Do not use underwater.March 15, 2011 1:03 pm at 1:03 pm #766164☕ DaasYochid ☕Participant
Some of these were actually put on after these mistakes were made, or after a lawsuit (I’m thinking pet drying, hot beverages.)
Some were clearly intended to be humorous – muffin, ketchup.March 15, 2011 2:08 pm at 2:08 pm #766165TheGoqParticipant
they do it to avoid frivolous lawsuitsMarch 15, 2011 2:18 pm at 2:18 pm #766166600 Kilo BearMember
All Klein’s Natural nut products have the nut warning on them, either because their dried fruits may be processed on nut lines or to avoid lawsuits in the event of a mixed up cover.
And of course there is a large sign above the NK mosque on Saddle River Road that also says: “Warning. This building contains nuts!”March 15, 2011 2:27 pm at 2:27 pm #766167WolfishMusingsParticipant
I would not be surprised to find out that the origin of every single one of them was a result of a lawsuit (either to the product manufacturer or to one of their competitors).
The WolfMarch 15, 2011 2:47 pm at 2:47 pm #766168Avram in MDParticipant
Some were perhaps the result of lawsuits; I know for a fact that the “Caution: Beverage Hot” warning on paper coffee cups was. Others were clearly jokes, e.g., the airplane nuts directing the user to eat them. And others were probably the result of clumsy translations into English – for example, the Hong Kong “beware of people” sign was probably meant to demarcate a pedestrian crossing.March 15, 2011 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm #766169Shticky GuyParticipant
On stroller manual: Remove infant before folding.
On rat poison: Harmful to animals.
Printed on the seal of a food container: Do not eat if seal is missing.May 12, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am #766170Ken ZaynMember
I had some sleeping tablets. On the label it says “Warning! May make you drowsy!!!”May 12, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm #766171PosterMember
I bought medicine that said – “Do not take in the dark, be sure you take only a proper dosage,” – for the funniest part,- “If you need glasses use them!”May 12, 2011 8:52 pm at 8:52 pm #766172believerParticipant
there once was a lady that had a cat. The lady (prob a stupid one) put her cat in the microwave to warm her up..now obviously the cat died..she sued the company and won the case..so if u look out ull see now they hav a warning…dont put any pets inside..lolMay 12, 2011 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm #766173Shticky GuyParticipant
Thats why nobody dries pets in microwaves nowadays. Once they have washed their pet in a washing machine, they allow them to dry naturally.May 13, 2011 3:19 am at 3:19 am #7661746HZ1W3JParticipant
the post office says its illegal to mail bodily fluids,… as if they once had a problem with long lines out the door of people holding boxes of body waste and mailing them all over! as if people didnt know any better till they made it a law and everyone did it!
my aquaintance kept taking his car in because the service light kept coming on, they told him his service light was broken, he sure is lucky he had that light to tell himMay 13, 2011 3:44 am at 3:44 am #766175☕️coffee addictParticipant
On stroller manual: Remove infant before folding.
I can see how people would make a mistake
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.