September 23, 2022 4:35 pm at 4:35 pm #2127642WolfishMusingsParticipant
Just your friendly septennial reminder to have a pruzbul written.
(Not an issue for me as no one owes me any money.)
The WolfSeptember 23, 2022 6:01 pm at 6:01 pm #2127696
Can any three people like hatoras nedarim sign it or rabonim?September 23, 2022 6:02 pm at 6:02 pm #2127699
1. Must a Pruzbul be written (by those with outstanding loans)
a. Before the Shmitta year
b. During the Shmitta year or
c. Both years?
2. Is there any reason for someone who has no outstanding loans to write a Pruzbul?
3. Must the Pruzbul be maintained after it is written or can it be immediately discarded and still be effective and valid thereafter? If it must be retained, for how long? (Some loans might have repayment dates 15 or more years later.)
4. Can a borrower demand to see the Pruzbul before he repays a loan? Even if the payment is six years after the last Shmitta (for a loan predating Shmitta)? If it isn’t produced can he legitimately refuse to pay?
5. If someone forgot to make a Pruzbul (or chose not to), can all those who borrowed from him legitimately refuse to repay?
6. Can a business entity (owned by multiple partners or even thousands of shareholders) make a Pruzbul? Must it?
7. Do debts owed from non-financial transactions, such as purchases, damages, services rendered, etc. require a Pruzbul to remain valid after Shmitta?September 23, 2022 6:02 pm at 6:02 pm #2127700
“Just your friendly septennial reminder”
No offense, sir, and said with the greatest brotherly love, but I believe you have not issued this “septennial reminder” seven or fourteen years ago, even though you were active here in both those timeframes.September 24, 2022 9:13 pm at 9:13 pm #2127712
On my question above, Artscroll distributes a Pruzbul form where it looks like that any three people can be judges.September 24, 2022 9:13 pm at 9:13 pm #2127777Shmiras HaloshonParticipant
In EY the minhag is for anyone who has a bank account to have a pruzbul, including young children who get money from Bituach Leumi every month.September 24, 2022 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm #2127803Chaylev HalyahParticipant
Fill out Prozbul Form and Give to a Beis Din
i just finished filling out the form – it worksSeptember 25, 2022 12:26 am at 12:26 am #2127808
The pruzbul was instituted by Hillel to avoid not wanting to lend when one cannot collect. To understand that the Beis Din can collect now but makes the lender their sheliach to collect.September 25, 2022 5:05 pm at 5:05 pm #2127958☕️coffee addictParticipant
“Not an issue for me as no one owes me any money.)”
Me too so I didn’t (and if someone does I don’t remember they do and I’m moichel)September 25, 2022 5:06 pm at 5:06 pm #2127957Always_Ask_QuestionsParticipant
I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people in shul lining up to sign the pruzbul. Seems like lots of humble people running private gemachim. Tizku b’mitzvos.September 27, 2022 9:28 pm at 9:28 pm #2128062WolfishMusingsParticipant
No offense, sir, and said with the greatest brotherly love, but I believe you have not issued this “septennial reminder” seven or fourteen years ago, even though you were active here in both those timeframes.
The WolfSeptember 27, 2022 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm #2128069
You’re welcome.September 28, 2022 2:03 am at 2:03 am #2128102Sam KleinParticipant
Now your too late to fill one out for this past shmita year for Pruzbul. No better late than never when it comes to Pruzbul.September 29, 2022 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm #2128399midwesternerParticipant
1. According to most rishonim, shmitta is meshamet chovos at the end of the year. There are minority opinions that hold the beginning of the year.
2. Financially no. However, as a chizuk for the Takana, some encourage anyway.
3. Needs to be retained until RH. After, if you think that your collection will end up in Bais din and the other party will taana that shmitta was meshamet, you’ll need to prove that it was done.
7. No.September 29, 2022 1:45 pm at 1:45 pm #2128426
MW: Shkoyach.September 29, 2022 8:42 pm at 8:42 pm #2128561Always_Ask_QuestionsParticipant
Don’t say: why are you learning halocha 3 days late?
Do say: great starting preparation 6 years and 352 days in advance
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.