April 24, 2017 9:23 pm at 9:23 pm #1261757mw13Participant
From Arutz Sheva:
‘If Marine Le Pen is elected, the Jews must leave’
Russian chief rabbi says France’s Jews should leave if Le Pen wins elections.
Russian Chief Rabbi Berel Lazar called on French Jews to leave their country if the far right politician Marine Le Pen is elected president next month.
Lazar, a Chabad rabbi who was born in Italy and has lived in Russia for 25 years, made the remark on Friday while attending a conference on Jewish learning near Moscow organized by the Limmud FSU association.
“If Marine Le Pen is elected president of France, the Jews must leave,” Lazar said, according to a transcription of his address at the conference provided by Limmud FSU. Lazar was a keynote speaker of the event, which drew 2,500 participants — a record attendance since Limmud FSU began holding conferences across the former Soviet Union.
Polls ahead of Sunday’s first round of the presidential elections suggested the centrist independent candidate Emmanuel Macron is in a tight race for the lead with Le Pen, leader of the National Front party and the daughter of its founder Jean-Marie Le Pen, who has multiple convictions for Holocaust denial and incitement of racial hatred against Jews. Macron and Le Pen each have about 22 percent the vote in an Ifop poll from April 19.
Le Pen recently called for banning the wearing of the kippah in public and for making it illegal for French nationals to also have an Israeli passport — steps she said were necessary because of the principle of equality in order to facilitate similar limitations on Muslims.April 24, 2017 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm #1261768
Le Pen will not win. Not even come close to winning.
That said, if she does win (which she won’t) it isn’t bad. She’s nothing like the caricature the extreme left in the media and politics portray her. 99% of the accusations against her are false and politically motivated. And the other 1% are good things the elites don’t like.April 24, 2017 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm #1261790CTLAWYERParticipant
Ms. CTL lives half her year in the south of France, the other half here in the USA. We discussed this on the phone today and she informed me that in her opinion (she does not expect Le Pen to win) living under Le Pen would be preferable to living under profiteering, dishonest, Trump and his family who are ripping off the US taxpayersApril 25, 2017 10:05 am at 10:05 am #1262105
Jews should make aliya. Period.April 25, 2017 10:06 am at 10:06 am #1262113
CTL, I presume that she does not wear a kippa, a kappota or a streimel. However, a magen David around her neck would also be a problem. As for Trump &Co., what about the anti-Semitic left that was so despondent over Crooked Hillary’s loss that exams were made optional?April 25, 2017 10:13 am at 10:13 am #1262135☕ DaasYochid ☕Participant
Jews should make aliya. Period.
Oh, I thought you were maskim that there are exceptions.April 25, 2017 10:25 am at 10:25 am #1262137zahavasdadParticipant
There was a tshuva about a year ago here on YWN where Rav Shteinman said Jews should not leave France for IsraelApril 25, 2017 10:33 am at 10:33 am #1262143
Right. Because Rav Shteinman is concerned that the Israeli environment could shmad frum French Jews.April 25, 2017 10:46 am at 10:46 am #1262148
DY, I am. However, in general Jews should make aliya. Similarly, Jews should keep other mitzvot. Others should not.
ZD, I hate to burst your bubble but Rav Shteinamn is not the only gadol. Rav Ovadia and Rav Mordechai Eliahu supported aliya and Rav Avtaham Shapira, when speaking in the US, looked out and asked “What are you doing here?”
Besides, the statement was related by Rabbi Yitzhak Katz in the name of his talmidim who asked Rav Shteinman. In other words, third hand info. On that, Rav Scheinberg, when told that he had been misquoted, said “If I had nickel for every time I was misquoted I would be a rich man”. Once an avereich who was writing a sefer on hilchot tefillin asked Rav Elaishiv a question regarding chatzitza. When RE said that it was no problem the avereich argued with him until finally he said “If you think it’s assur then let it be assur for you”. The avereich wrote “RE said that it is good to be machmir”. Once some people advertised a tiul to Chutz laARetz “withthe advice of Rav Mordechai Eliahu”. Rav Aviner asked RME who said “They asked. I said it’s assur. So they wrote that I advised them”.April 25, 2017 10:51 am at 10:51 am #1262166☕ DaasYochid ☕Participant
DY, I am. However, in general Jews should make aliya.
Then you shouldn’t write “period”, because people with reading comprehension issues (that’s everyone but you) will take it as an absolute.April 25, 2017 11:28 am at 11:28 am #1262187Lilmod UlelamaidParticipant
“ZD, I hate to burst your bubble but Rav Shteinamn is not the only gadol. Rav Ovadia and Rav Mordechai Eliahu supported aliya and Rav Avtaham Shapira, when speaking in the US, looked out and asked “What are you doing here?””
Even if he’s not, you certainly can’t accuse people of doing something wrong if they are following him. At best, you might be able to say that those who aren’t are not doing something wrong.
Also, your “quotes” from other Gedolim are not a stira. Rav Shteinman Shlita was speaking specifically about Jews from France.
Also “supporting aliya” is very different from saying that everyone should make aliya.
I “support Kollel” but I don’t necessarily think that everyone should go.April 25, 2017 11:49 am at 11:49 am #1262200
LU, I also wrote that his statement was related third-hand and thus should be taken with several grains of salt. I find it very hard to believe that he would oppose a Jew doing a Torah mitzva.April 25, 2017 1:45 pm at 1:45 pm #1262289WinnieThePoohParticipant
thanks DY for the vindication….
I was getting a real sense of deja vu.April 25, 2017 5:50 pm at 5:50 pm #1262451CTLAWYERParticipant
you make no sense at all.
What anti-semitic left made which exams optional and for whom?
I’m politically left, I teach in law school, my students did not have optional exams, nor did nay others in the school. I am NOT anti-semitic nor are any of the other faculty I know.
Still have the youngest Ms. CTL in college. No exams were cancelled or made optional. Her professors are both left and right wing. Her college banned all paid staff from discussing politics with students except in Poltical Science courses. The only one of her professors I considered anti-semitic was an irreligious Jew teaching chemistry. The provost backed daughter up on excused time off for Yuntif.April 26, 2017 12:26 am at 12:26 am #1262588lakewhutParticipant
No, then the antisemites will win. The French Jews in the financial sector are not leaving France, no matter who wins.April 26, 2017 2:12 pm at 2:12 pm #1262878mw13Participant
That said, if she does win (which she won’t) it isn’t bad. She’s nothing like the caricature the extreme left in the media and politics portray her. 99% of the accusations against her are false and politically motivated. And the other 1% are good things the elites don’t like.
Which one is this?
Le Pen recently called for banning the wearing of the kippah in public and for making it illegal for French nationals to also have an Israeli passportApril 26, 2017 3:43 pm at 3:43 pm #1263339
Bad policies. Neither of which were proposed by its authors with the specific intent to target Jews though they do, obviously, affect them. Overall her policies, on balance, are Jews friendly.
But she wasn’t my candidate of choice, as I indicated in the other French Election thread.April 26, 2017 3:43 pm at 3:43 pm #1263340
Btw, many countries prohibit its citizens from holding dual nationality. Including some other European nations.
Your quote inaccurately implied she proposed to specifically ban Israeli citizenship when she actually proposed prohibiting French citizens having citizenship in any country other than France.April 27, 2017 1:56 pm at 1:56 pm #1264284MDGParticipant
“Le Pen recently called for banning the wearing of the kippah in public….”
So one can wear a hat. Besides, many of the religious Jews in France are Sephardic, who follow the Beit Yosef who says that a head covering is a Middat Chassidut (siman 8 IIRC).
I see Le Pen as good for the Jews. Reducing assimilation and reducing physical threats from those who are most threatening.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.