Elon Musk on Sunday tweeted a link to an unfounded rumor about the attack on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, just days after Musk’s purchase of Twitter fueled concerns that the social media platform would no longer seek to limit misinformation and hate speech.
Musk’s tweet, which he later deleted, linked to an article by a fringe website, the Santa Monica Observer, an outlet that has previously asserted that Hillary Clinton died on Sept. 11 and was replaced with a body double.
In this case, the article recycled a baseless claim that the personal life of Paul Pelosi, the speaker’s husband, somehow played a role in an intruder’s attack last week in the couple’s San Francisco home, even though there is no evidence to support that claim.
Musk did so in reply to a tweet by Hillary Clinton. Her tweet had criticized Republicans for generally spreading “hate and deranged conspiracy theories” and said, “It is shocking, but not surprising, that violence is the result.”
In response to Clinton’s tweet, Musk provided a link to the Santa Monica Observer article and added, “There is a tiny possibility there might be more to this story than meets the eye.”
The Los Angeles Times, the dominant news organization in the Southern California area where the Observer is located, has said the Observer is “notorious for fake news.”
Police in San Francisco have said the suspect in last week’s attack, identified as David DePape, 42, broke into the Pelosi family’s Pacific Heights home early Friday and confronted Paul Pelosi, demanding to know, as the AP has reported, “Where is Nancy?”
The two men struggled over a hammer before officers responding to a 911 call to the home saw DePape strike Paul Pelosi at least once, police said. DePape was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, elder abuse and burglary. Prosecutors plan to file charges on Monday and expect his arraignment on Tuesday.
Police say the attack was “intentional” and not random but have not stated publicly what they consider to be the motive.
The exchange between Musk and Clinton occurred a day after Yoel Roth, Twitter’s head of safety and integrity, tweeted that the company’s policies toward “slurs” and “hateful conduct” were still in place.
“Bottom line up front: Twitter’s policies haven’t changed. Hateful conduct has no place here,” Roth wrote.
Musk himself said Friday that he would form a “content moderation council” for Twitter and promised advertisers that the website would not devolve into a “free for all hellscape.” Musk has also described himself as a “free speech absolutist.”
But at least one major advertiser, General Motors, has said it will suspend advertising on Twitter while it monitors the direction of the platform under Musk.
Also on Sunday, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, a Minnesota Democrat, said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that she didn’t trust Musk to run Twitter.
Referring to antisemitic conspiracy theories that were advanced online by DePape, the suspect in the attack, Klobuchar said, “I think you have to have some content moderation.”
“If Elon Musk has said now that he’s going to start a content moderation board,” the senator said, “that was one good sign. But I continue to be concerned about that. I just don’t think people should be making money off of passing on this stuff that’s a bunch of lies.”
AP and YWN – here we go again…
He wasn’t saying it’s fact, he’s just saying there’s obviously a lot we don’t yet know!
I don’t know Mr. Pelosi’s lifestyle, (not do I care to know) but it seems highly unlikely to me that they didn’t receive constant threats from individuals and therefore I believe that their house had adequate security. Plus there are additional details that don’t add up to the story media is presenting and the media rarely reports the whole truth, only the story they wish to print.
truly could care less, filth comes in all sizes and packages this is just another story of garbage and filth low lives and criminals
There is a LOT more to the story than meets the eye. For instance, talking about “baseless claims”, the claim that the “intruder” demanded to know “Where is Nancy” seems to have no basis whatsoever. Every news outlet has repeated this rumor, but not one has attributed it to any source. They’re all just quoting each other. I don’t see any reason to believe it.
Then there’s the question of how this person could have broken in to the house, past all the security that it has. Harmeet Dhillon, whose integrity is impeccable, has reported her own personal experience in trying to approach the house, even at a time when the Pelosis were not home. It’s not plausible that with a family member home this person could still have got so close as to actually break in.
In addition, are we really to believe that he came there in his underwear?! And who was the third person who let the police in and then mysteriously disappeared?
No, none of this makes sense. It’s far more likely that Depape was an invited guest, who arrived fully clothed and through the front door, and then disrobed for some reason before the dispute broke out. The third person must have been involved with both of them. How they knew Depape and what his business was there remains a matter of pure speculation.
Seriously, YWN should not run any AP articles. The attack definitely was a hoax. Also, some Jews probably will die premature deaths for participating in the genetics experiment cuz YWN shilled the vax. Whatever benefit this site affords to Yisroel, it has been far more harmful in my humble opinion…