23:23: Obama speaks with Netanyahu in phone conversation. Urges immediate humanitarian ceasefire.Says that any permanent deal with Hamas must include demilitarization in Gaza.
23:19: Red alerts now in the Eshkol Regional Council.
21:30: Two rockets have landed in open areas in the Eshkol Regional Council area.
19:38: After a two-hour meeting with IDF Chief Rabbi Brigadier-General Rafi Peretz and forensic experts, the family of IDF soldier Sgt. Oron Shaul HY”D has accepted Rav Peretz’s ruling and has begun to sit shiva for their son.
- Sirens in Gaza border communities minutes ago.
19:27: Three more mortar shells landed in the Eshkol Regional Council district. One of them struck a home. No injuries.
19:26: Urgent: Tefilos are requested for soldier Rachamim ben Aliza who is in critical condition. He was injured by jumping on a hand grenade in Gaza to save his fellow soldiers in the area.
18:54: Damage to an electric line in an Eshkol Regional Council community is reported as a result of the last rocket attack. B”H there are no fatalities or injuries.
18:44: Sirens sounding in Kerem Shalom.
18:11: Sirens sounding in Zikim and Karmiya.
17:44: One rocket detonated in the Merchavim Regional Council without causing fatalities or injuries.
17:33: The IDF spokesman reports the Iron Dome has just intercepted four rockets over Beersheva.
17:31: Police report that rockets fired towards Beersheva have landed in open areas outside the city. No damage or injuries are reported.
17:28: The Security Cabinet is convening to discuss the ongoing warfare in Gaza. Today is the 20th day of Operation Protective Edge.
17:23: Sirens sounding in Beersheva, Ashkelon, Negev, Gaza border communities and surrounding areas.
17:14: Responding to a request from the family, IDF Chief Rabbi Rafi Peretz has arrived at the home of soldier Oron Shaul HY”D accompanied by the nation’s chief pathologist. The family has placed sitting shiva on hold pending an explanation and additional information that led to declaring their son dead instead of missing in action.
17:13: The woman transported to Soroka Hospital is listed in light-to-moderate condition upon her arrival in the emergency room.
16:53: A woman in her 40s is being transported to Soroka Hospital. Her home, in a Shar HaNegev District kibbutz, sustained a direct hit in a rocket attack a short time ago. She was asleep and did not hear the sirens. She has shrapnel fragments in her back.
16:52: Three rockets were intercepted over Kiryat Gat a short time ago.
16:42: Sirens sounding in the Ashdod & Ashkelon regions despite ceasefire claims
16:30: One person sustains moderate injuries from rocket attack in the Shar HaNegev Council.
16:01: Sirens sounding in Gaza border communities.
15:50: Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu in interviews to the US media announced Israel rejects Secretary of State John Kerry’s ceasefire proposal.
- The prime minister adds that the only proposal on the table is the Egyptian initiative.
- Official sources in Jerusalem announce Israel has not accepted Hamas’ call for a 24-hour humanitarian ceasefire that was to have begun at 14:00.
15:45: Channel 2’s Nir Divori reports the IDF has halted aerial and ground assaults in Gaza, limiting fire to responding to Hamas. Simultaneously, the IDF is continuing to destroy tunnels. This may represent a de facto acceptance of Hamas’ 24 hour ceasefire. There is no official confirmation of this from IDF of government officials.
15:35: Update from Barzilai Hospital
17 soldiers are admitted to the maxillofacial unit of the hospital; listed in moderate and light condition.
Keren, a nurse in that department who is employed in the hospital for 26 years, and an Ashkelon resident adds “I have never seen such an outpouring of support in all my years here. The concern for the soldiers is simply unprecedented. Their morale and desire to return to the fighting is truly amazing”.
15:34: Chen, a waitress in an Ashdod café reports “business is dead. Here and there adults will come in and have something quickly. Children and youths by and large are not coming at all”.
15:33: Update from Soroka Medical Center:
- 38 soldiers remain hospitalized at this time
- 1 is listed in critical condition
- 3 are listed in serious condition
- 8 are listed in moderate condition
- The remainder is listed in light condition
15:26: IDF SPOKESMAN: One Hamas terror tunnel = sufficient building materials for 19 medical clinics. So far, 32 tunnels have been found.
- With these materials, Hamas could build 86 homes, 7 mosques, 6 schools, & 19 medical clinics.
- Each tunnel costs $3 million.
15:23: Sderot Mayor Alon Davidi Speaking with Channel 2 News: I do not understand all the talk about a ceasefire. For us, there has not been a ceasefire for the past 14 years.
15:09: Two rockets landed in open areas in the S’dot Negev Regional Council without leading to fatalities or injuries B”H.
14:44: Sirens sounding in Nachal Ohz, the third since Hamas’ 14:00 ceasefire.
14:40: Egyptian officials report destroying 13 tunnels connecting between Sinai and Gaza.
14:28: Absorption Minister Sofia Landver reports that since the beginning of Operation Protective Edge twenty days ago, over 2,000 new immigrants have arrived in Israel.
14:26: Three rockets landed in uninhabited areas in the Eshkol Regional Council without loss of life or injuries B”H.
14:22: Gaza reports continued IDF strikes at this time. Fatalities and injuries are being reported.
14:08: Sirens sounding in the Eshkol Regional Council.
14:05: Sirens sounding in the Ashkelon Coast Council.
14:04: Israel does not appear to be responding publically to Hamas’ call for a 24-hour humanitarian ceasefire.
13:59 Sirens in the Ashkelon Coast.
13:44: Sirens sounding in the Ashkelon Coast Council.
- Israel weighing the Hamas call for a 24-hour humanitarian ceasefire.
13:19: Hamas calling for a 24-hour ceasefire to begin at 14:00.
13:15: Three rockets landed in open areas in the Ashkelon Coast communities.
12:48: Hamas has now turned to the UN seeking an extension of the humanitarian ceasefire. Clearly Hamas wishes to show nothing will be done without its inclusion and without accepting its terms.
12:43: The Turkish IHH, which was behind the Mavi Marmara terrorist ship, is sponsoring another ship which is going to head to Israel with a “humanitarian vessel” which plans to break the Israel marine blockade.
12:32: According to Prof. Ze’ev Rothstein of Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer Hospital, the facility remains on alert status to receive incoming wounded from the warfare. At present, 29 soldiers remain hospitalized in the facility with 13 listed as moderate and the remainder light.
12:30: Sirens sounding in Yad Mordechai and Netiv HaAsarah.
11:20: A Senior Islamic Jihad commander was eliminated by the IDF in Khan Yunis.
11:08: Health Minister Yael German who just visited IDF Eretz Crossing field hospital
- There are 18 patients being treated
- Hamas refuses to permit Gaza residents to seek medical care at Erez
- Hamas does not permit chronically ill to seek medical care at the field hospital
- Hamas has rejected a MDA offer to air drop units of blood to assist with the wounded
- Hamas continues to cynically exploit the residents of Gaza
10:57: Swastikas and “death to Jews” graffiti found on el-Jazar Street in Akko.
- In the N’vei David area of Haifa “We don’t want peace, we want revenge”, “Muhammad was a Pig” and “price tag” graffiti found.
- Police are investigating
10:56: Sirens sounding in Kerem Shalom.
10:48: The levaya for reserve duty Staff-Sgt. Barak Refael Degorker HY”D, 27, of Gan Yavne will take place on Sunday, 29 Tammuz at 19:00 in the Gan Yavne Beis Hachaim.
10:45: Hamas has rejected the latest UN call for humanitarian ceasefire as was evident by the morning’s continued rocket fire.
10:44: Two rockets exploded in open areas in the Eshkol Regional Council.
10:17: IDF SPOKESMAN: Due to Hamas’ incessant rocket fire during the humanitarian window, we are renewing our aerial, naval and ground activity in Gaza.
10:13: As result of repeated ceasefire violations, IDF artillery was directed at terrorists in northern Gaza.
08:27: Swiss Air, Lufthansa and other European airlines are resuming service to and from Tel Aviv.
08:26: Sirens sounding in Petach Tikvah, Oranit, Hod HaSharon, Kfar Kassem, and other Sharon and Shvelah communities.
08:25: Two rockets exploded in an open area in Ashkelon. There are no reports of injuries B”H.
08:11: Multiple sirens sounding throughout the Ashdod, Ashkelon, Eshkol and S’dot HaNegev regions at this time.
08:05: Hospital update:
- Soroka Medical Center: 39 soldiers remain hospitalized with 4 in serious condition.
- Barzilai Hospital: 32 soldiers remain hospitalized.
- Tel Hashomer Hospital: 29 soldiers remain hospitalized.
- Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital: 15 soldiers remain hospitalized.
07:25: It is permitted to announce that IDF Staff-Sgt. (Reserves) Barak Refael Degorker HY”D, 27, of Gan Yavne, was killed overnight by mortar fire from Gaza. He becomes the 43rd IDF fatality.
05:03: Red alerts are ringing now in Achof Ashkelon and surrounding areas.
00:25: Levaya announcements for the fallen;
- The levaya for Chief Warrant Officer Rami Kahlon will take place on Sunday, 29 Tammuz 5774 at 17:00 in the Hadera military cemetery.
- The levaya for Lt. Roy Peles, 21, of Tel Aviv, will take place on Sunday,29 Tammuz 5774 in the Kiryat Shaul Military Cemetery.
- The levaya for Staff-Sgt. Guy Levy, 21, of Kfar Veradim will take place on Sunday, 29 Tammuz 5774 at 17:00 in the Kfar Veradim Military Cemetery.
- The levaya for Staff-Sgt. Guy Boyland, 21, of Kibbutz Genosar will take place on Sunday, 29 Tammuz at 17:00 in the Kibbutz Genosar Military Cemetery.
- The levaya of Staff-Sgt. Amit Yeori, 20, of Yerushalayim, will take place on Sunday, 29 Tammuz 5774 at 15:00 in the Har Herzl Military Cemetery.
- The levaya of Staff-Sgt. Avraham Grintzvaig, 21, of Petach Tikvah will take place on Sunday, 29 Tammuz at 18:00 in the Petach Tikvah Military Cemetery.
- The levaya of Staff-Sgt Gal Bason, 21, of Holon, will take place on Sunday, 29 Tammuz 5774 at 17:00 in the Holon Cemetery.
יהי זכרום ברוך
00:22: Six rockets landed in southern Israel in the last half hour.
00:20: Two additional IDF personnel died of their wounds;
- Captain Liad Lavie HY”D, 22, of Telmei Yosef
- Chief Warrant Officer Rami Kahlon HY”D, 39, of Hadera
- The IDF death toll now stands at 42
00:13: The Security Cabinet accepts a United Nations call for extending the humanitarian ceasefire for another day, until midnight. Israel explained that it will continue clearing tunnel during the ceasefire.
00:10: Two people were wounded in a mortar rocket attack a short time ago in the S’dot Negev Council. One is reported to be in serious condition.
UPDATE: 12:00AM IL: With the clock striking midnight on Motzei Shabbos evening / Sunday morning, Israel has now entered “Day 20 of Operation Protective Edge”. Stay with YWN as we continue our non-stop 24 hour news coverage – updated just seconds after an event occurs.
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 19 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 18 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 17 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 16 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 15 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 14 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 13 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 12 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 11 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 10 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 9 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 8 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 7 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 6 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 5 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 4 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 3 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 2 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
CLICK HERE FOR THE YWN LIVE BLOG FROM DAY 1 OF OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
(YWN Israel Desk – Jerusalem)