1 MILLION FRUM JEWS IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK

Home Forums Decaffeinated Coffee 1 MILLION FRUM JEWS IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    knish

theres over 1 MILLION FRUM JEWS IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK:

where?

new- square,KJ,monsey,farakway,ronchester,bufflo,queens,5towns,wilbsburg,bora-park,flatbush [brooklyn],suffren,rampoo county, upstate,kiryas square[new],suffren,riverdale, fleischmanns, lawerance, washington heights, crown heights,bayswater,falsburg, great neck,marine park, sea gate, mountaindale, staten island,manhatan [upper east side,lower……] and many more random places……….. way over 1 million true-torah yidden-that keep shabbos….. this is mamash amazing so many yidden-uhh geshmack….

GumBall

AMAZING!!! I fell sooooooooooooo Proud!!!! GO Jews!!!! 🙂

HIE
    Participant

wonderful to hear, but where do you get this info from??

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

There aren’t a million frum jews in America.

Sacrilege

I went to an Aish symposium. There aren’t a million Frum Jews in the world. Love the optimism though….

cherrybim
    Participant

“There aren’t a million frum jews in America.”

I doubt if there are 500,000 shomrei Torah u’mitzvos in the U.S.A. Out of New York, being a member in an Orthodox synagogue or children attending an Orthodox day school should not necessarily count as being frum.

eclipse

Oh yes,they were ALL on the same bus as I was this morning.

dogo
    Participant

Sacrilage: It seems like you havent been around the world (US, Canada, Mexico, EU, (England, Russia, Switz…) Isreal, Australia……… There definatly is 1,000,000 frum Jews in the world (maybe not in the USA, but there might be). (I dont know about what you are referring to with aish).

cherrybim
    Participant

How many halachic jews do you think there are in the U.S.A.?

If one responder “says” that he is Jewish, the Jewish population demographers will consider the entire household Jewish. Using this response as the criteria for the Jewish population count, it is understandable that the total Jewish population is far less than recorded, but Orthodox Jews would have a higher proportion of halachic Jews.

shlishi

cherrybim: On the same token if someone says he is Christian, they will count his Jewish wife and children — all halachic Jews — as NON-Jewish, thus reducing the true count.

knish

look at all the jewsih places in the state of NY- more then 1 million frum jews

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

knish? Are you human or a computer?

Sacrilege

dogo

In fact, I do travel. Just because there seems to be A LOT of Frum people in the world, that doest make it a million. There were rough estimates given at the Aish symposium and it was no where near 1 million. (They were trying to show the severity of intermarriage)

simcha613
    Participant

I’m happy that there are so many frum Jews, but are we supposed to be celebrating that many of them are content to live in chutz la’aretz? kein yirbu beEretz Yisroel!

brotherofurs
    Participant

what kind of people are you considering frum? Just people who keep Shabbos???

bpt
    Participant

1 mil sounds like a stretch. BP has perhaps 4,000 head of household, so at best (figure 8 people per house) you’re looking at 30-35 thousand. Times that by 5-6 really big communities (Lakewood, Monroe, Willy, Flatbush, ect) and you’re still at around 200,000.

A million? In NY alone? In fact, probably not even in the entire USA.

Someday, but not just yet.

zahavasdad
    Participant

The generally accepted defintion of frum (Or Orthodox) is

Shomer Shabbos and Keeps Kosher

SJSinNYC

what kind of people are you considering frum? Just people who keep Shabbos???

What’s wrong with using that as your major criteria?

There is no person who observes mitzvos 100%. Everyone has their weakness. So there is really no “frum” if you look for 100%.

Generally, “frum” requires shabbos, kashrus and THM/mikvah.

What would your criteria be?

veteran

1 million? Maybe, if you include all of Joseph’s screen names.

bpt
    Participant

Frum – daven each day, keeps kosher, Shabbos, and family matters, if married. The basics.

The other things, (cholov yisroel, yoshon, laange paiyes, covered shaitel, covered ears, ect) are details.

We’re talking the broadest net possible. Even so, no way I can see us being anywhere close to a million this side of the Atlantic

charliehall
    Participant

Given that there are only about 200,000 children in all Orthodox day schools in the entire US, it is highly unlikely that there are a million frum Jews in New York State.

cherrybim
    Participant

“On the same token if someone says he is Christian, they will count his Jewish wife and children — all halachic Jews — as NON-Jewish, thus reducing the true count.”

This statement is not true. These are demographers for secular Jewish organizations who create the criteria for the greatest possible count for political purposes and also to increase the size and proportion of non-Orthodox “Jews”.

charliehall – You are very correct and remember a relatively large proportion of these children, while they do attend Orthodox affiliated schools, do not follow Orthodox practice and neither do their families.

Homeowner

Another hit and run poster who drops some naarishkeit here and leaves. Why not just delete this thread?

apushatayid
    Participant

There might be a million orthodox people in ny, just not a million orthodox jews.

HIE
    Participant

bpt, idk where you get your info from but there are over 80000 jews living in boro park, and near that in flatbush, just right there you have over 150,000 jews, and plus all the other communities in NY you definitely get near a million and you forsure have a millon together with NJ

knish

to: Homeowner

just open your eyes to all the areas with yidden, where do you live not in NY…..

yswo

I read a few years ago there are at least 200k orthodox jews in Brooklyn and 300k non frum. If you add in KJ-25k, Monsey including New Square I would estimate at 40-50k. Lakewood same as Monsey. Rest of NY like FR, 5 towns I am guessing is another 20k same with Manhattan and Queens each. I would say based on those numbers it is close to 400k in NY. Correct me if I am wrong, or I am missing any communities.

yswo

O NY and Lakewood without lakewood closer to 350k. Also if you add in NJ I forgot places like Teaneck, Englewood, Fairlawn etc. I am just guessing another 50k there so NY-350k, NY and NJ 450k.

HIE
    Participant

i think your numbers are a bit low cuz your missing many small communities in NY and NJ that all add up to alot so i would say there are around 1Million in NY and NJ

yswo

i think your numbers are a bit low cuz your missing many small communities in NY and NJ that all add up to alot so i would say there are around 1Million in NY and NJ

Could be I only focused on the big communities. But I think that to say those communities make up another 500k people would be a big stretch. I would have to see some numbers.

TikkunHatzot

Well, since we aren’t going to quote any real statistics here…this thread is pretty pointless.

HIE
    Participant

im not understanding, did you mean to say that NY has 350000 and Nj has 100000 adding up to 400000?

yswo

Tikkun I am coming up with numbers I read, people I spoke to who have more knowledge in this area i.e. developers, and from personal observation. There is no way to get a scientific number but I am trying to get all ballpark figured based on these items, not just making up numbers here.

HIE: 400-450 in NY. Again estimates, I hope am wrong and the number is much larger.

popa_bar_abba
    Participant

Well, since we aren’t going to quote any real statistics here…this thread is pretty pointless.

Agreed. I might add that it would be pointless even if we had real statistics.

dancinggirl

hello!!! can everyone stop being so negative?

desired response: Wow! that is amazing! i am so proud to be a jew!

GumBall

Yea Thanx dancinggirl!!

charliehall
    Participant

I’m the only person who put up a real number: Dr. Marvin Schick estimates the number of children in Jewish Day Schools in the US and the number for 2009-2010 was about 228,000. However, 36,000 of these children were in non-Orthodox schools, leaving an Orthodox enrollment of about 192,000. That is totally inconsistent with a total Orthodox population of a million, and given our large families may even be inconsistent even with a total Orthodox population of a half million — over the entire US!

HIE
    Participant

idk where he gets those numbers from but there are about 300000 frum yidden in Brooklyn and 150000 outside of it making 450,000 for NYS. and NJ definitely has around 300,000-400,000 frum yidden making around 800,000 and in the rest of the US there is definitely another 200,000 scattered all over so there are forsure a million in the US, maybe not in NYS

yswo

IU told you about where I got my numbers from i think maybe a NY article, and I said 200 frum 300 non frum. I have no idea where you get 300-400k in NJ, care to provide any numbers?

Charlie I do not see why that is inconsistent with one million considering the large family size, and especially since each of those 200k kids have two parents.

HIE
    Participant

first of all lakewood, and there are a tonnnnn of communities down the turnpike. check it out

The Orthodox Jewish population doubles every 20 years.

Shrek

no wonder I can never find parking

HIE
    Participant

shrek, LOL

HIE
    Participant

After a meeting between pops, son and little bro we came to the following conclusion on the matter Let’s get this clear: there are not one million Frum Jews in New York or in America for that matter. We would say that there are 500,000 Frum in America.

Knish: We simply think you’re wrong.

HIE
    Participant

excuse me this meeting never took place and i disagree with son, and i think that there are definitely 1,000,000 frum jews in america as i stated earlier

Ad Dilo Yada
    Participant

forgot Queens lots of ’em there

GumBall

Im SO proud 2 be a jew!!

yswo

HIE where are these 400,000 Jews in NJ and how many do you think live in Lkwd?

Queens is big but spending a lot of time there I doubt it has more than Monsey which had about 8,000 families according to Mailway.

apushatayid
    Participant

HIE. Any of the multiple personalities.

bpt
    Participant

HIE –

There are 80,000 Jews in BP? Mind telling me where they daven? Shop? Send the kids to yeshiva?

Last I checked Bobov has about 1000 people in the big room (so that’s 8,000) Satmar another 500 or so (another 4,000) and beyond the 2 powerhouses, most shuls are 100 or so. And lots of them are 30-40 people, so the numbers don’t add up as quick as you think. So my guesstimate of 35 thou, is probably close.

But 300,000? That would mean you need 8-10 neighborhoods as big as BP. Lets count: Flatbush, Willy, Monsey, Monroe. Thats about it. So unless you know of 3 or 4 neighborhoods that I don’t know of, it looks like we’re still the minority.

Still, rare things are of greater value, so I’d rather be from the few AND the proud!

(OTOH – The Bronx Zoo this Chol Hamoed.. it’ll seem like there’s 5 mil of us!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.