2010 Yankees Post Season

Home Forums Humor & Entertainment 2010 Yankees Post Season

Viewing 49 posts - 51 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    apushatayid
    Participant

If the Yankees dont beat Texas, expect Cliff Lee to pitch opening day for the Yankees in 2011. Thats the Steinbrenner way.

apushatayid
    Participant

The Knicks begin a new (and probably hopelessly futile run for a playoff spot) season tonight. We have to be careful about saying lashon hara about Amare Stoudmire when the Knicks are outrebounded by 47 every night and we wish we still had David Lee (a perpetual double double machine).

Chosson

apushatayid_

I heard that the Yankees are interested in Lee regardless,

BTW, I’m curious why the Mariners didn’t make it to the Post season, even while having Cliff Lee for a decent amount of time this season and while having King Felix (who btw is a cy young winner candidate) and Ichiro Suzuki

ZosHaTorah
    Participant

Cliff Lee means 2 wins for the Rangers. There’s not a better pitcher in the game today (except maybe Roy Halloday). Rangers just have to come up with 2 other wins somehow, and Yankee fans will certainly be scratching their heads.

arc
    Participant

chosson they were the worst offensive team since 1970. you cant win if you dont score thats why Felix lost 12 games

Chosson

Whoa, worse then the Pirates?

arc
    Participant

worst since 1970 that includes this (any)years pirates.

Chosson

Why don’t the yankees pick up Felix, Cliff and we’ll have a all star rotation

apushatayid
    Participant

The yankees should waste burnett against lee in game 3 and any other game lee pitches.

Homeowner

Just regarding the Yankees, I was at game three of the series with Boston on Chol HaMoed Sukkos (which the Yanks took 4-3 in the tenth) and there was a minyan outside the stadium after the game.

apushatayid
    Participant

There is usually a minyan during the 7th inning stretch at the kosher concession stand.

Y.W. Editor
    Keymaster
    Josh31
    Participant

A long post season for the Yankees will cause a lot of Bitul Torah. The Texas Rangers will be shutting down this Bitul Torah quickly.

apushatayid
    Participant

The games will all be played bein hasdarim. 🙂

Josh31
    Participant

6 of the 7 scheduled World Series games will be during Night Seder!!!

Moderator-80-

Is post-season acceptable?

I didn’t think so, but apparently it’s used in several places.

Therefore, my “official” answer is…

“I guess so” 😛

apushatayid
    Participant

Then they will have to sweep.

Ferd
    Participant

Yanks win Friday night was a miracle.

Tonight was a disaster…..

Josh31
    Participant

Wrong, Friday night was a fluke and Saturday was merely the better team winning.

Ferd
    Participant

The first half of the Yankees’ starting rotation flip was a flop, with Phil Hughes allowing seven runs over four-plus innings in Saturday’s 7-2 loss to the Rangers in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series, a defeat that boils down to a best-of-five set.

But if there is a singular name synonymous with postseason success, it is Andy Pettitte, who, despite being the all-time active leader in playoff victories, is the understudy to headline act and Rangers ace Cliff Lee in Game 3 of the ALCS on Monday. Yes, it is the lefty-not-named Pettitte who has generated the buzz, as much for his perfect 6-0 postseason record as for the haul of prized prospects New York was willing to give up at the Trade Deadline to try to put Lee in pinstripes.

“People can talk about Cliff as much as they want,” said reliever Joba Chamberlain, who needs just one word to summarize what Pettitte has done in 16 Major League seasons: wow.

“It’s kind of funny [that] you can put a guy who has 250 innings in the postseason with 19 wins on the back burner,” Chamberlain said of Monday’s matchup. “You know, people don’t realize how good that really is. … Cliff Lee is good, but this guy [in the locker] next to us is the best. And there’s no getting around it.”

It has always been this way for Pettitte, tasked with proving himself ever since the 22nd-round Draft pick showed up at Rookie ball in 1991. Current Orioles manager Buck Showalter, then involved in the Yankees’ Minor Leagues, was struck in instructional league by Pettitte’s “good face,” a domineering glare that has become ingrained in his game as much as that highly-coveted pickoff move.

“He’s not underrated in this clubhouse,” said Hughes, who has benefited enormously from watching Pettitte keep his emotions in check. “We know how valuable he is to our team.”

Pettitte, who is 19-9 in 41 career playoff starts, used to watch the tape of his Game 5 start in the 1996 World Series — a contest in which he tossed 8 1/3 scoreless innings — to get a confidence boost. But the days of needing reassurance are over, and if there is one thing the Yankees can expect from their veteran starter on Monday night it is this: he won’t be overwhelmed by the moment.

“Pretty much every situation you can think of he’s been in,” said captain Derek Jeter. “He’s been successful. So when you have had success, I think he really uses that to his advantage.”

“He’s pitched in so many postseasons and been so clutch, it’s hard to say really how he’s done it, how he’s been able to sustain it,” Hughes said of Pettitte, who has a career 3.87 postseason ERA. “But I know he’s one of the hardest workers in here.”

With both of New York’s starters stumbling, Hughes’ struggles preceding ace CC Sabathia’s lack of command, the fate of a pivotal Game 3 hinges on the 38-year-old Pettitte giving the Yankees effectiveness and innings. They will rely on him — like they have so many times before — to dip into his playoff pedigree and shake off whatever rust the long layoff an AL Division Series sweep caused for their first two arms.

“I’ll be able to control my emotions, I’ll be able to handle myself,” said Pettitte, who will face a lethal Rangers lineup on 11 days’ rest. “It’s a matter if I can get the body and the release point and everything else going the way I want it to.”

It is unquestionably harder than it used to be for Pettitte, who has 489 regular-season games under his belt on top of his postseason resume. He is barely a month removed from pitching to Double-A hitters as part of a rehab assignment for an injured groin that caused him to miss two months of the season. His return was hardly seamless, as Pettitte posted a combined 6.75 ERA in his final three starts for the Yankees, a far cry from the sub-3 ERA mark he posted in the first two months.

But Pettitte in the postseason has become nearly mythical, and he held the Twins to two runs over seven innings in a first-round ALDS victory. He hasn’t been tagged with a postseason loss since the 2005 National League Championship Series as a member of the Houston Astros, a mind-boggling stat that makes Lee’s marquee status in Monday’s game almost unheard of. Perhaps bulletin-board material for any other starter, Pettitte is unaffected by his opposition taking top billing.

“I guess I can say I’m used to that,” Pettitte said. “It’s always maybe the other guy that’s going to get that. That’s totally fine with me. I’m not a guy who likes a lot of attention. I’m kind of uncomfortable with a whole lot of attention. I want to go out and do my job.”

“His priorities are in line,” Chamberlain said of Pettitte’s even-keeled approach. “Baseball is probably the last thing on his mind, and that’s why he’s been so successful. His faith, his family and the relationships that he creates is more important than baseball. And that creates the dynamic that he can play this game and leave it all on the field. At the end of the day, he knows he left it all out there and he can be happy with what he’s done.”

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101017&content_id=15681146&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

Josh31
    Participant

8-0: The Rangers will be closing this thread soon.

LemonySnicket
    Participant

Oy! And AJ Burnett tomorrow… Not good! Hopefully the offense will wake up. Now it has to go at least 6 games if the Yanks win and game six is on Shabbos 🙁

Josh31
    Participant

Later today (it is already past midnight) the Rangers pitcher who pitches the ninth inning should be granted temporary YWN Moderator status to close this thread!!!

That is why he is called a CLOSER.

Ferd
    Participant

Maybe someone can update us what’s going on at the game now? I’m saying Tehillim and can’t listen now.

Please help us out.

Sacrilege

Yankees 1 Rangers zip.

As of 4:45

phrum

Yanks up 3-0.

Sacrilege – If I had know you were a yankee fan I would have given you an even bigger brucha the other day!

Y.W. Editor
    Keymaster

You guys are slow.

Yanks winning 5 nothing. Bottom of the 3rd.

Sacrilege

Phrum

(in that case I wont tell you that I’m not)

Chosson

Kerry Wood just struck out Josh Hamilton.

at the end of 6 1/2 the Yankees are leading 6-2

phrum

The Yankees Win! Daaaa Yankees Win!

LemonySnicket
    Participant

Shabbos night is gonna be scary, won’t be able to concentrate on the food. Yanks scoring early and taking the crowd out of it is key. Give Hughes some breathing room.

Is it muttar to take a peek into a store to look at the newspaper cover?

Also is it muttar to root against Ian Kinsler even though he’s a Jew? I personally say YES!

Chosson

LemonySnicket- Why would you root against Ian? I don’t mind if he hits .999 as long as the Yankees win. How’s that?

LemonySnicket
    Participant

Chosson- Deal! May he get hits every time he comes to bat; just insignificant ones…

HadaLXTP

For those who think these games are a Bitul Torah,(me being one of them). There is the option of watching a condensed version of the game(basically almost every out and interesting play) usually about 4 hours after the game is over. If it’s possible to hold out till the next morning, then the game could be watched in about 15 minutes. No commentary though. Here is the link if any one is interested. http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp?affiliateId=mlbMENUMLBTV&tcid=nav_mlb_video

You won’t see the score from this page. You would have to be careful that when it loads you put it in full screen mode so that you won’t see the score, or other highlights from the game.

HadaLXTP

apushatayid

If the Yankees dont beat Texas, expect Cliff Lee to pitch opening day for the Yankees in 2011. Thats the Steinbrenner way.

Regardless they will go after Lee whether they win or not. Depends on whether he resigns with Texas or not.

phrum

Lemony

Muttar? It’s hiyuv!

(jk – don’t paskan from the coffee room – CYLYRR: Consult You Local Yankee-Roottin’ )

Sacrilege

There is always next year…

Josh31
    Participant

Thread closed by Moderator Colby Lewis and the rest of the Rangers. 6 to 1

===========
    /
    /
    / |\ / |
    | | V | |
    | | | | |
    | | | /
    | | | /
    /
    10/22/2010/
    R.I.P. /
    :( /
    =====/

Josh31
    Participant

===========

/

/

/ |\ / |

| | V | |

| | | | |

| | | /

| | | /

/

10/22/2010/

R.I.P. /

(: /

=====/

Josh31
    Participant

I tried editing “I can only try”s posting, but it does not come through.

On second to last line the “(” needs to be moved to the left of the “:”.

YW Moderator-42

Quote from another site:

“A-Rod leads Rangers to first World Series Appearance…”

Now we know why they traded him to the Yankees in the first place… Go Rangers!!

Josh31-

I think this is what you are trying to achieve:

===========
    /
    /
    / |\ / |
    | | V | |
    | | | | |
    | | | /
    | | | /
    /
    10/22/2010/
    R.I.P. /
    ): /
    =====/

Ok, ok – here’s what you have to do:

1) Put a backtick (the character above the tilde (~) on the first line, followed by a period. The backtick looks a lot like an apostrophe, but it is a different character.

2) Paste your graphic.

3) Put another backtick following your graphic.

That’s it.

Chosson

The Rangers are getting their desserts.

Josh31
    Participant

This just shows how lousy the team they smeared last week was.

LemonySnicket
    Participant

Haha payback’s awesome!!

Chosson

Josh31-

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!

It shows that baseball is a game that comes down to pitching!!!

.           /
    /
    =========== ===========
    / /
    / / X
    / |\ / | / E A
    | | V | | | T
    S |
    | | | | | | | |
    | | | / R | S /
    | | | / A | R /
    / N G E /
    10/22/2010/ 11/01/2010/
    R.I.P. / R.I.P. /
    ): / ): /
    =====/ =====/

Josh31
    Participant

Still winning the American League Championship with a team with a $54 Million payroll is a much bigger accomplishment than not winning it with a $206 Million payroll!!!

Viewing 49 posts - 51 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.