The Moetzas Gedolei Hatorah of Agudas Yisrael is speaking out against the growing chilul Shabbos in Yerushalayim. The council met to discuss the troubling reality last week and the admorim shlita are speaking out to the tzibur at large due to the worrisome situation in the capital.
The admorim call on the tzibur at large;
1. To refrain from supporting stores that operate on Shabbos or stores that belong to national chains operating on Shabbos even if the particular store is closed on Shabbos.
2. To refrain from supporting shopping centers that operate on Shabbos even if a particular store is closed on Shabbos.
3. Not to maintain insurance policies with companies that do not invest in businesses that yield profits from chilul Shabbos.
4. To establish committees for shmiras Shabbos in all cities to organize efforts to curtail chilul Shabbos and to publicize the stores that are mechalel Shabbos so the tzibur does not support these businesses.
5. Newspapers and advertisements directed to the chareidi tzibur should not accept ads from businesses or national chains that are mechalel Shabbos.
6. To renew the activities of the ‘Mazirei Shabbos”, (מזהירי השבת) those groups of individuals that head out to stores on erev Shabbos in an effort to politely persuade people to close their businesses.
(YWN – Israel Desk, Jerusalem)