VIDEO – Kiddush Hashem: Rabbi Returns $98K He Found In Desk He Bought On Craigslist

(Monday, November 11th, 2013)

Rabbi with cash_1384126924029_4068681_ver1.0_640_480The following is via WTNH:

Imagine buying a desk under $200 on Craigslist only to find thousands of dollars hidden inside.

That’s exactly what happened New Haven Rabbi Noach Muroff and his wife. They found a huge pile of cash after buying a desk.

When the couple brought the desk home it wouldn’t fit through the door. “The desk did not fit into this office by fraction of an inch,” Muroff said.

The couple had to pull the desk apart, including the file cabinets. Behind the drawers they discovered a plastic bag filled with cash.

“Behind the drawers there is this plastic bag, like a shopping,” he said. “In the bag, I could already see through the bag, it looks like a one hundred dollar bill.

“We open it up and it’s full of cash. And we counted up and there’s $98,000 cash sitting in the bag.”

The couple couldn’t believes their eyes.

“Right away my wife and I sort of looked at each other and said we can’t keep this money.”

vin33-725x477They picked up the phone and called the original owner. They recorded the call on cellphone video.

“I saw there was a bag back there and through the bag I saw one 100 dollar bill and I’, like, Oh my gosh there’s money in there’. And i picked it up and this is pretty heavy. And I brought it over to the table and sort of counted it up and was like ‘oh my gosh’.”

The original owner was speechless. “Oh my gosh, because I… oh my God,” she said.

The former owner had stuffed her inheritance in the desk and forgot where she put the money.

The Good Samaritans returned the cash to the rightful owner. The Rabbi Muroff said the most important thing in life is to be honest.

(Source: WTNH)

19 Comments

1. not anonymous says:

Kavod Shem SHAMAYIM to the inth degree.

2. oot for life says:

Granted the article is just pulled from another source, but good Samaritans you’ve got to be kidding me. The Samaritans were anything but good to us. Nonetheless amazing yashrus by this Yid. Kol ha kavod

3. yidenah says:

Most frum people don’t learn enough history and certainly don’t read enough of it. So the term good samaritans is not properly understood.

4. Baal Boose says:

#2 oot.
    Ur right. People don’t know their Jewish history.
    They actually campaigned and suceeded in bringing to a halt (temporarily) the building of the 2nd beis mikdash!
    Subsequently, It was Darius son of queen Ester whio allowed for the building to continue.

5. chachom says:

Its a shaila if its muttar to return mamon to a nochri.

6. TzViD says:

LOL “good Samaritian”? No, he’s a good Yehudi.

7. coffee addict says:

my question is…….. did he get a monetary reward out of this inheritance

8. WhiteBear says:

#3

Most frum people don’t read the New Iestament either,which is the source of the term “Good Samaritan”.(The context of the story in the New Iestament in which the term is used is anti-Jewish. Granted – as #2 pointed out- that the article was just pulled from another source,its not an expression that should be used by Jewish people.)

9. WhiteBear says:

Sorry,that should be the “New Testament”

10. takingabreak says:

no its not a shaila if u do it for kiddush hashem lesrm some halacha b4 shooting off ur mouth

11. galicianer says:

Hmmmm.
    I wonder if he let a fellow subway passenger fall asleep on his shoulder…
    Just kidding.
    Nice kevod shamayim. And the fella with sleeping subway rider too!

12. jerry says:

Nice. But it shouldn’t be considered special. It should be what any yid would do.

13. ultra modox says:

Its amazing what this guy did. Big Kiddush Hashem. I’m just a bit puzzled. Its very very VERY weird that someone would forget their inheritance like that. Its very suspicious to me. Therefore, I’m not sure this woman was telling the truth. It could be that she didn’t even know about the money herself and just faked the whole thing. If this Rabbis was smart he should have called her and told her he found something in the desk and asked her if she had any idea what it could be etc…and see if she would have any clue about it. He basically told her what was there, and let her claim whatever she wanted and pretend it was hers. I dont know… I’m just saying that its literally unbelievable (not believable) that someone would just “forget” their inheritance like that. Maybe it was even her ex-husbands money and she didnt know about it. Who knows?? Just saying…

14. coffee addict says:

ultra,

theres numerous cases of people throwing things out without knowing money was there

15. Toras Moshe says:

takingabreak #10: It is a shaila if its a baal avoda zora, which means anyone who isn’t a noachide.

16. Mark Levin says:

Now THIS is an emesdika kiddush haShem unlike most of the touchy feely stories that pass as such.

17. yet says:

if the money was hers, sure halachically that was the right thing to do, nut who said she ever knew about it??

18. cherrybim says:

“Its a shaila if its muttar to return mamon to a nochri.”

Does the name Shimon Ben Shetach mean anything to you?

Shimon Ben Shetach was very poor. He bought a mule from a goy and his students found a precious stone hidden in mule’s saddle bag. They wanted their Rebbe to sell the stone and become wealthy.

No, said Shimon Ben Shetach, he bought a mule from the goy,not a diamond. Shimon Ben Shetach found the Ishmaelite and returned the stone to him.

Said the goy, “Praise be the G-d of Rabbi Shimon ben Shetach”.

19. Bogen says:

cherrybim, halacha is halacha. And in halacha it is at least a shaila if not outright assur. Making your own svoros doesn’t change halacha.