10 Jewish Music All-Stars

Home Forums Music 10 Jewish Music All-Stars

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    playtime

A while back, suki&ding productions put out an all-star CD and I think it’s about time for another one. Which are your 10 favorite singers you would like to see on such an album?

shwekey, shwekey, shwekey, shwekey, shwekey, baruch levine, shloime dachs, gabay, yehuda!, and did i mention shwekey?

avrami
    Participant

1.avraham fried 6.gideon levine

2.mbd 7.yaakov shwekey

3.shlomo simcha 8.yeedle

4.dovid gabay 9.abie rotenberg

5.yossi green 10.yehudah green

there are many more singers i would love to hear but this is my first choices but if suki and ding want to put out a cd only with avraham fried that would be the best..

eclipse

i like almost every type of music except kvetchy music.but i love writing lyrics if anyone has a tune they need words to…(nooo…not for free,sorry)

cb1

Eclipse- if i ever need lyrics ill look u up but as of now i take all my lyrics from tanach although i do have one english song

eclipse

ok good luck

d a

eclipse, I was wondering, how do you get songs to singers? How do you get their info? How do you get them to listen to you?

Chosson

The All Stars today are:

1) Mordechai Ben David

2) Avraham Freid

3) Lipa Schmeltzer

4) Yeedle Werdyger

5) Benny Freidman

6) Yisroel Werdyger

7) Berri Weber

8) Dovid Gabay

9) Aaron Razel

10) Abie Rottenberg

arc
    Participant

what are the parameters for all star. chosson’s list has some nice names but I dont know if some of them are still/ever were all stars.

WIY

Chosson

How can Shwekey not be on your list he is better than almost every guy there?!

Chosson

arc- You’re right. I don’t think there are clear parameters, it’s just in my opinion.

WIY- Better than who?

bein_hasdorim
    Participant

1) Mordechai Ben David

2) Avraham Fried

3) Lipa Schmeltzer

4) Yaacov Shwekey

5) Chaim Yisroel

6) Gad Elbaz

7) Shlomie Daskal

8) Dovid Gabay

9) Itzik Eshel

10)Ohad Moskowitz (when he doesn’t shout @ the top of his lungs.)

Chosson

Bein_hasdorim

I agree about Chaim Yisroel

I disagree about Daskal; Shwekey and Ohad

and while I like the others you mentioned I don’t think they are better then the ones I mentioned

WIY

Chosson

Is that a serious question?! Other than Avraham Fried and MBD I don’t think there’s anyone on your list who can debatably considered a better singer than Shwekey. Abie Rottenberg hardly can be considered a vocalist but he’s a great composer. Lipa Shmeltzer doesn’t have a good voice he’s just an entertainer. Aron Razel is decent at best. Yeedle has his moments but doesn’t have a great voice either.

WIY

Bein hasdorim

I can’t believe you would put Lipa befor Shwekey. Lipa can’t sing. His voice is not considered a good voice. Can he entertain? YES! Sing? Not too well. Shloime Daskal should be moved up on that list he is so underrated.

theprof1
    Participant

There are 3 categories of Jewish music. Category #1 is Shlomo Carlebach zl. Only one in there is him. Category #2 is MBD. Only one in there is him. Category #3 is everybody else. Avramel is #1, Shwekey #2, who cares about the rest?

Last night I was at Mendy Werdyger’s chasuna for his daughter. So I had a concert of Mendy, his son Sruly, MBD, his son Yeedle.

Who are all-stars? Those who sell.

Chosson

When I listen to music it’s not about who can take the highest notes, it’s about good music, a good voice, and good singing.

while shwekey has a good voice, some good songs, he doesn’t sing to well

arc
    Participant

It isn’t a best voice list.

Lipa is an all star. Abie Rottenberg great guy not an all star.

WIY

Chosson

Shwekey doesn’t sing too well? I’m not sure what you mean. What’s called singing “well” in your book. Shwekey is an all around great singer. If you mean he doesn’t have different color bekeshes, well that’s what makes Lipa sing “well.”

Chosson

arc

I’ll substitute Chaim Yisroel for Abie Rottenberg

WIY

Theprof1

You put it rather well. However I would put Avraham Fried in his own leage as well. After that comes Shwekey et al.

Chosson

What’s all the hype about shwekey?

i enjoy listening to mbd more than anyone else, its not only about singing ability

back in the old days my favorite “singer” was bob dylan

but when it comes to a singing voice shwekey is superb

theprof1
    Participant

WIY yeah I think you may be right. Avramel has an amazing voice range. Several years ago he introduced MBD at a concert. He said, a voice like Mordechai’s comes once in a generation. But why in my generation?

I’ll say it again. An All-Star is a singer who sells. Who cares whether a voice critic thinks a voice is great or not. If he sells thousands of CDs and can get thousands of dolars for a concert or chasuna, then he’s an all-star.

Chosson

Mod-80

Back inthe old days, what did you think about Bryan Adams?

bryan adams was already after my “old days” so i couldnt say

WIY

Chosson

I wish Bryan Adams was Jewish he was one of my favorites when I used to listen. Amazing songs and amazing vocalist. He puts feeling in when he sings.

arc
    Participant

Avrohom Freid is in the MBD league.

Lipa is possibly the biggest *star* right now.

Yeedle has some great songs but is only a meh singer. I’ve heard several of his songs sung bt Daskal and he makes the so much better.

Boruch Levine imho has an odd sounding voice.

Shwekey!!!!! Boeeeeeee

(My favorite!!!!!!!!!)

bein_hasdorim
    Participant

Chosson; ur right! i’m actually very into music, & after the first two I wasn’t really putting em in order as i was cutting and pasting. I’m love israeli/sefardi music so I put in some of them and the not so well known IL singers.

Yes WIY; Ein Hochi Nami, Lipa’s an entertainer a good one at that but does not come before Shwekey at all.

I just want to say though i’m not a big fan of Ohad, I think he had much potential just doesn’t know hot to sing well.

If he could only learn to control his powerful voice,

not use such high notes so often, & put some feeling into

his singing, ppl wud enjoy him more.

doodle jump
    Participant

Srully Williger. Shwekey. MBD. Lipa. Shloime Daskal. Shloimy Dachs.

apushatayid
    Participant

Not sure how far back Mod 80 goes. But I enjoyed Kansas and Chicago (still do). As for All Stars, in no particular order my preferences run from Reb Shlomo, Diaspora Yeshiva Band and anything Arthur Fielder and the Boston Pops plays. Sometimes Andre Rieau (sp).

Shrek

Eitan Katz. Chaim Dovid. Karduner. They don’t entertain, they inspire.

i’ll go for shwekey, dovid stein, baruch levine, gabay, shloime dachs, pruzansky- i know it’s not 10, but that would be AMAZING!!!!!!!

observanteen

MBD, Shloime Gertner, Boruch Levine, Isaac Honig, Yaakov Shwekey, Abie Rottenberg, Yisroel Werdyger, Benny Friedman, Dovid Gabay, Shloime Dachs, Shloime Daskal, Michoel Pruzansky (sorry, it’s 12, but I Luuuv Jewish Music!!).

Shmuel294

Hey!!!!! What about the greatest Jewish singer of all time? MATISYAHU!!!

not telling

Shwekey, Shwekey & Shwekey!!!

moishy
    Participant

MBD, Yehuda Green, Avraham Fried, Yossi Green, Benny Friedman, Shlomo Katz, Eitan Katz, Abie Rottenberg, Shloimy Daskal, and Baruch Levine

charliehall
    Participant

Where are the traditional cantors on these lists? Herstik? Malovany? Miller? Stark? Helfgot? Fisher? Craimer? Has the appreciation for putting our prayers to music using the nusach of our tradition been completely lost???

miamigirl613

No specific order:

Shwekey, Avraham Fried, Ari Goldwag, Shloime Daskal, Dovid Gabay, MBD, Gad Elbaz, 8th Day, Benny Friedman, Avi Begun (upcoming artist)

miamigirl613

Or just Shwekey by himself. That’s enough!!!

Shmuel294

Nope. I think all these singers are boring. Who wants to listen to the same 5 words over and over again?

aries2756
    Participant

Dudu Fisher, Dedi, Avraham Fried, Sruli Williger, Shlomi Dachs, Shlomo Simcha, MBD, Lipa, Abie Rottenberg,

umm

What about SHLOIMY GERTNER????? My favorite by far!!!

apushatayid
    Participant

I dont know if Suki and Ding would ever put them on an All star collection, but by the definition of “All Star” posited here, no top 10 jewish All Star music cast would be complete without the likes of

George Gershwin,Leonard Bernstein, Art Garfunkle,Irving Berlin,

Neil Diamond, Pauk Sedaka, Neil Simon, and yes, Mod 80 Bob Dylan.

From Dylans time, perhaps 80 remembers David Lee Roth lead singer for Van Halen. The Beastie Boys, and Steely Dan all Jewish.

neil simon?

always here
    Participant

Paul Sedaka? ohhh, he transposed simon & sedaka’s first names

at least paul sedaka is a singer

neil simon is a playwright

apushatayid
    Participant

Your right. I meant Paul Simon. Should have stuck with “Simon and Garfunkle” 🙂

BS”D

MBD

Avraham Fried

Lipa

Shwekey (reluctantly but this is based on popularity)

Haim Israel

Yisroel Werdyger

Yeedle

Shloime Gertner

Y.M. Helfgot

Dudu Fischer (again, popularity)

Who really belongs there as well:

Michoel Schnitzler (not on voice but on originality)

Benny Friedman

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.