The following unedited letter was submitted to YWN:
Yesterday was the first time I heard about Helbrans. I was curious and Googled. I found your site. I began to read the “CONTRACT” which members allegedly sign up to.
As I read I became increasingly more upset at the content. My indignation very quickly turned to anger. Not at Helbrands, but at the author of this evil document, akin to Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Any idiot can see that this is a fabrication by someone who hates this group or has an axe to grind. How reasonable people, as I expect you are, can be taken in, to the extent that you publish this terrible Motzoi shem rah. Who gave it to you ? did you check out it’s veracity?
Even if it were true, how can you put such things in the public eye. Surely you know that all Jews are ‘painted with the same brush’. Are you only hurting this group of people or all of us?
You have printed it. Now read it properly and think a bit. Does it make any sense at all? Can you not see what a wicked libel it is? AND YOU have brought it to the public!
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
1) Remove it from your your site with a big apology stating what it really is and that you were duped. It will already have caused major damage, maybe even been used by the courts.
2) A big apology to your victims, along with an offer of compensation.
3) Ask your rov how you can do teshuvah.
4) Report the perpetrators and authors of this evil document to the Rabbonim, and with their permission, to the Police.
5) If the group take you to court for defamation, you may be shut down, face a major fine and maybe more.
6) Learn Sefer Chofetz Chayim with a rebbi.
7) Consider carefully whether Rabbi Helbrands maybe committed suicide when he realised to what lengths his enemies would go, whether true or not. Think about it.
NOTE: The views expressed here are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of YWN.
DO YOU HAVE AN OPINION YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE POSTED ON YWN? SEND IT TO US FOR REVIEW.
(YWN World Headquarters – NYC)