Many children play with magnifying glasses, burning paper and cardboard using the sunlight. Many children do not realize the potential danger of this “fun”.
But today, one child received second degree burns thanks to a magnifying glass.
The incident reportedly happened on Wednesday morning in a Yeshiva in Passaic, NJ, when one child aimed the glass at his friends shirt. The boys clothes instantly caught on fire. The victim, a 10-year-old boy, was transported by Passaic Hatzalah to a hospital where he was being treated for second degree burns – thankfully only to a small area of his body.
Please use this incident as a warning to speak to your children about the dangers of playing with magnifying glasses, and explain to them that this is not any less then playing with matches.
(Chaim Shapiro – YWN)