[VIDEO LINK POSTED BELOW] Rabbi Yehuda Levin, spokesman for the Rabbinical Alliance of America issued the following statement:
“When Americans are suffering economically and millions need jobs, it’s shocking that the Administration is focused on its ultra-liberal militantly homosexualist agenda forcing the highlighting of homosexuals and homosexuality on an unwilling military. This is the equivalent of the spiritual rape of our military to satisfy the most extreme and selfish cadre of President Obama’s kooky coalition.
We agree with Eileen Donnelly of the Center for Military Readiness that this will hurt the cohesiveness of the military, cause many to leave the army, and dramatically lower the number of recruits, perhaps leading to the reinstatement of a compulsory draft.
“Thirteen months before 9/11, on the day New York City passed homosexual domestic partnership regulations, I joined a group of Rabbis at a City Hall prayer service, pleading with G-d not to visit disaster on the city of N.Y. We have seen the underground earthquake, tsunami, Katrina, and now Haiti. All this is in sync with a two thousand year old teaching in the Talmud that the practice of homosexuality is a spiritual cause of earthquakes. Once a disaster is unleashed, innocents are also victims just like in Chernobyl.
“We plead with saner heads in Congress and the Pentagon to stop sodomization of our military and our society. Enough is enough.”
YWN VIDEO LINK: Click on the following link for the video: http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/video_viewer.php?clip=tKqbRjRARFQ&player=y
(Source: Christian Newswire)
Rav Yehuda Levin is correct. And he is not even stating any chiddushim.
Ah. That’s why there were no earthquakes in the world before recent decades. I’m so glad he could clear that up for us.
Who let this nut out of the looney bin?
Haiti earthquake happened before obama spoke about it in the state of the union, also why would haiti get an earthquake if its u.s thats making the law
Where do all of these experts on Hashem and His universe get their information from. Maybe the disaster in Haiti came from the behavior of a “recent scandal” and his kind?
HE IS GOOD. at least linking homosexuality to earthquakes probably allot more accurate than linking it to global warming. theres a 50% chance its been getting warmer on mars too… is that do to industry?
Clearly the “fault” lies with the gays…
This may be true. In particular, one of the pictures associated with Toeiva, that was widely circulated in a prominent, anti-semitic, New Jersey newspaper, showed two men upset with the law’s defeat. Both men were wearing knit yarmulkes.
Obama is so focused on his agenda that even if an earthquake would hit the White House he would still be at it.
I like his approach. We do things wrong and other people get punished. Sounds like a win-win!
For me, the accuracy of Rabbi Levin’s pronouncements are not the issue. My question is: out of thousands of rabbis in the NY metro region, why does YWN choose to give this one so much publicity? What is it about Rabbi Levin that causes his proclamations to be so newsworthy, that YWN feels the need to publicize every one of them?
I just don’t get it.
9, and he would blame it on bush too!!!!!
“Haiti earthquake happened before obama spoke about it “–(no. 4)
Haiti doesn’t need Obama to get an earthquake. Haiti, like Thailand (of Tsunami fame) is a rat’s nest of Toeva immorality and Voodoo idol worship.
So, if you call yourself “Rabbi”….you can say anything and it will get printed? Hashem Yeracheim.
He is only quoting what it says in seforim. The Zohar says this!
15, so Haiti is suffering because of the US army? Why now? Has Rabbi Levin tried to warn Haitians to escape or the army to change its ways for Haiti’s sake?
You might find a recent article on Haiti by Rabbi Emanuel Feldman of interest.
it’s interesting that this same rabbi would surely call a person wicked and evil if they claimed to have ‘nevuah’, prophecy. when it comes to lubavitch, i’m sure that he will scream and shout about lubitchers saying that the rebbe was a prophet or the messiah, but this little bit of information seems to have been communicated directly from the creator of the universe to only one man, rabbi levin of brooklyn.
I really wish our Rabbonim would stick to teaching Torah and not getting involved in politics.
If it says so in Zohar does that make mean he can say it as a Psak Din?
I do not know one way or another, so I am just asking.
#15 well informed;
Please back up your words (or eat them)
Where in Zohar?
And to Rabbi Levin where in talmud?
I agreed with you to be angry at Sheldon Silver and many other stands, but i will not follow in dipensing fire and brimstone
#13 where do you get you facts from i never heard of such accusations against haiti
the makor for this whole thing is a gemara yerushalmi that says that earthquakes happen because of homosexuality, but the bavli says that eclipses happen because of the same thing. we now know that eclipses are all calculatable and never just happen. earthquakes have happened in places with no people living in them and years before people ever came there…so i tend to think this is not true.
i cant remember the exact yerushalmi but the bavli is in sukkah, 29a
R. Yehuda Levin: All this is in sync with a two thousand year old teaching in the Talmud that the practice of homosexuality is a spiritual cause of earthquakes.
DB: I’m also curious about this 2000 year old teaching. I’ve looked, but can’t seem to find it.
I presume that Levin’s source is the following (edited down slightly):
אליהו ז”ל שאל לר’ נהוריי: “מפני מה באין זועות לעולם?”
(1) אמר ליה: בעון תרומה ומעשרות…”
(2) אמר ליה: “בני, חייך, כך היא סברא דמילתא?! אבל כך עיקרו של דבר: אלא בשעה שהקב”ה מביט בבתי תיטריות ובבתי קרקסיות יושבות בטח ושאנן ושלוה’, ובית מקדשו חרב, הוא אפילון לעולמו להחריבו…”
(3) אמר ר’ אחא: “בעון משכב זכר: אמר הקב”ה: ‘אתה זיעזעתה איברך על דבר שאינו שלך — חייך שאני מזעזע עולמי על אותו האיש…'”
(4) ורבנן אמרו: “מפני המחלוקת…”
(5) אמר רבי שמואל: “אין רעש אלא הפסק מלכות…”
[תלמוד ירושלמי ברכות ט’:ב’ (ס”ד/א’)]
Eliyahu [the prophet] z”l asked R. Nehorai: “Why do earthquakes occur in the world?”
(1) [R. Nehorai] said to him: “On account of [people who do not separate] terumot and ma’asrot [from their produce]…”
(2) [Eliyahu] said to him: “My son, by your life, is that [your] explanation of the matter?! To the contrary, this is the main [reason] for [this] thing [earthquakes]: Rather, when God gazes upon the theaters and circuses that sit secure, serene, and peaceful, while his Temple [lies] in ruins, he shakes his world to destroy it…”
(3) R. Aha said: “[Earthquakes are] on account of male intercourse: God said: ‘You have shaken your genitals for something that is not within your [right] — by your life, I shall shake my world on account of this same person…’”
(4) And the Rabbis said: “[Earthquakes are] on account of [people who engage in] divisiveness…”
(5) R. Shmuel said: “An earthquake happens only [on account of] the cessation of kingship…”
[Talmud Yerushalmi Berakhot 9:2 (64a)]
As you can see, five different “reasons” for earthquakes are offered here: (1) People failing to observe the mitzvoth of teruma and ma’aser, (2) the existence of (presumably Roman) theaters and circuses, juxtaposed with the destruction of the Temple, (3) male homosexual activity, (4) divisiveness [presumably among Jews], and (5) the cessation of the Israelite monarchy.
See also Talmud Bavli Berakhot 59a, in which yet more “reasons” for earthquakes are offered.
A few observations:
* Levin glaringly ignores all of the reasons given in the Gemara except for that single one which suits his purposes. In particular, he ignores (2), which has the endorsement of Eliyahu HaNavi, and (4) which has the endorsement of the majority of the Rabbis. He probably chose not to cite his source because he’d prefer that people shouldn’t see that the Gemara gives many other reasons.
* The reason that Levin is relying upon (3) speaks of male intercourse, not of people who have homosexual inclinations — which is not the same thing.
* The reason given by the Rabbis (4) — that earthquakes happen on account of divisiveness — would seem to be a very good basis for arguing that earthquakes happen because of people like Rabbi Levin.