Misameach is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to lifting the spirits of children and adults who are hospitalized, bedridden, or facing serious illness. Misameach has gained renown in the Jewish community for bringing smiles, hope, and encouragement to hundreds of children and their families.
Misameach (pronounced miss’-ah-MAY-akh) is a Hebrew terminology that is loosely translated as “promoting happiness”, and that is precisely what our dedicated volunteers do each day throughout New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Massachusetts and beyond. What began in 2007 as the small-scale effort of about 10 volunteers has metamorphosed into a sophisticated organization, with a comprehensive range of services.
Some of Misameach’s innovative programs include:
- Homebound/hospital entertainment – With Our flagship program, we bring live music and professional entertainment to the hospital rooms or homes of sick children. Our repertoire includes clowns, magicians, jugglers, acrobats, comedians, storytellers, lots of lively singing and dancing and age-appropriate gifts. Misameach currently provides between 50-60 such visits monthly.
- Arts & Crafts/Woodworking – For children who are convalescing or bedridden, Misameach provides woodworking and other crafts kits, as well as home visitation by professional crafts instructors including woodworking, baking, and food decoratiing.
- Major family parties and events – Misameach holds major parties and outdoor carnivals for children and their families. These events are attended by hundreds, and feature renowned performers of Jewish music and entertainment, great food and refreshments, plus fun and games.
- Outings – Includes major family events such as a cruise of the New York harbor, as well as bowling parties, trips to pizza parlors and ice cream shops, Bounce-U recreation center, a behind-the-scenes tour at Newark International Airport, and other family outings.
- Free DVD/video library – Misameach stocks thousands of titles in three separate libraries, located in New Jersey, California and in the Massachusetts and North Carolina hospital areas. Titles range from humor to drama to educational and everything in-between. Misameach also stocks dozens of DVD players for patients’ use.
- Dream-Come-True Program – Misameach endeavors to accommodate the special requests of seriously ill children, arranging special trips as well as visitations and correspondence with celebrities. Participating celebrities have included President Barack Obama; Governor Mitt Romney; Yehudah Green, renowned soul performer; Mordechai ben David, the “King of Jewish Music”; and noted radio personality and commentator Mark Levin.
- 150+ volunteers
- 500+ patients & families serviced yearly
- 60 bedside visitations monthly
- 2,300 presents distributed annually
- 16+ hospitals visited regularly
What is a smile on the face of a sick child worth? At Misameach, we believe it’s priceless. Please become a partner in our wonderful work, and be a part of the magic that brings joy and hope into the life of a sick child.
Tizku limitzvos. Thank you for reminding us what a smile can do for someone. What an inspiring organization.