Space Heater Caused Fire That Killed Brooklyn Boy

0

New York City Fire Department officials say a space heater caused a house fire in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn that killed an 8-year-old boy Saturday. Firefighters responded to a call at approximately 2:50 a.m. Saturday for a fire in the first floor of a home located on Bedford Avenue near Farragut Road.

Police say the 8-year-old child was found unconscious and unresponsive inside the house when the fire was extinguished and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Fire officials said residents who were trapped on the second floor were removed safely.

Neighbors said they helped shelter the rest of the family.

Fire officials say space heaters should be placed at least three feet from anything that can burn and should never be left unattended.

(Source: NY1)