President Donald Trump said Sunday that the U.S. will delay implementation of a 50% tariff on goods from the European Union from June 1 until July 9 to buy time for negotiations with the bloc.
That agreement came after a call Sunday with Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, who had told Trump that she �wants to get down to serious negotiations,� according to the U.S. president�s retelling.
�I told anybody that would listen, they have to do that,� Trump told reporters on Sunday in Morristown, New Jersey, as he prepared to return to Washington. Von der Leyen, Trump said, vowed to �rapidly get together and see if we can work something out.�
In a social media post Friday, Trump had threatened to impose the 50% tariff on EU goods, complaining that the 27-member bloc had been �very difficult to deal with� on trade and that negotiations were �going nowhere.� Those tariffs would have kicked in starting June 1.
But the call with von der Leyen appeared to smooth over tensions, at least for now.
�I agreed to the extension � July 9, 2025 � It was my privilege to do so,� Trump said on Truth Social shortly after he spoke with reporters on Sunday evening.
For her part, von der Leyen said the EU and the U.S. �share the world�s most consequential and close trade relationship.�
�Europe is ready to advance talks swiftly and decisively,� she said. �To reach a good deal, we would need the time until July 9.�
(AP)