An elderly wedding guest died and dozens more were left seriously ill after suffering salmonella poisoning at the reception meal.
Rene Kwartz , aged 82, was one of four guests rushed to hospital following the traditional Jewish celebration at a hotel in Bury, Greater Manchester, but doctors were unable to save her.
Public health officials have now launched an investigation into the contamination following the marriage of Jennifer Harris to Stephen Wicks on August 8.
Fourteen guests are taking legal action against the catering firm that provided food at the Hilton Suite.
The menu included a buffet of canapes, a salmon starter, chicken soup, potatoes, vegetables, chocolate pudding and ice cream.
The family said that dozens of guests had later fallen ill.
Nine were confirmed to have contracted salmonella after tests, and the bug was recorded the cause of death on Mrs Kwartz’s death certificate.
The three others who needed hospital treatment – a couple in their 80s and a 47-year-old woman – were later released.
Mrs Kwartz died last Thursday.
The bride’s mother, Norma Harris, 58, was among those taken ill. She said that the tragedy had devastated everyone.
Mrs Harris, from Crumpsall, said: ‘The four that were in hospital were very ill indeed. We are absolutely devastated. My daughter doesn’t want to see her wedding photographs. We are in bits.’
Manchester law firm Pannone LLP is representing the guests taking action against caterers Shefa Mehadrin.
Clare Campbell, from Pannone, said: ‘This is a terrible tragedy arising from what was supposed to have been a joyous occasion.’
The investigation is being carried out by Bury council’s environmental health department and the Health Protection Agency.
In a statement issued by their solicitors, the caterers said: ‘We would like to offer our condolences to the family of Mrs Kwartz. An investigation is currently under way, with which we are fully co-operating.
‘Pending the outcome of this investigation we are therefore unable to comment further at this time, other than to reassure all our customers that we always treat food safety as an issue of paramount importance.’
(Read More: Daily Mail UK)