July 30, 2010
By Rabbi Sholem Fishbane
Kashrus Administrator of the Chicago Rabbinical Council
Please be advised that a limited amount of Provence Olives (Vitrolles Cedes, France) Black Olive Paste and Green Olive Pasted containing anchovies were mislabeled with the OK symbol. OK Kosher Certification does not certify this product. Labels have been corrected.
Two kosher cheeses are made by Oneg Foods. They are packaged in similar packaging. Schtark Mozzarrella is Cholov Yisroel and Oneg Kosher Gourmet’ Mozzarella Cheese is Cholov Stam. The Schtark cheese is cholov yisroel and says Cholov Yisrael on the top line of the package.
The following two new Slurpee flavors are not kosher certified; Horchata Ole` and Orange Bang Smoothie.
The “i” in Magic Seasoning is dotted with a Star-K, as part of their logo. Magic Seasoning Blend is Star-K certified,however, the Southgate brand beans are not certified by the Star-K and are NOT kosher. Corrective action is being taken, and the Star-K symbol is being removed.
Many consumers are under the impression that various Yogenfruz stores are kosher certified by the Kashruth Council of Canada. Some establishments may even display an unauthorized COR logo on their menu board. Yogenfruz is a national retailer of frozen yogurt products with outlets across Canada and the U.S., including a number of locations in the Toronto area.The Kashruth Council of Canada does not presently certify any Yogenfruz stores.Please note that the COR symbol which appears on any product being sold at these stores is only valid for products in their original factory-sealed packages. Once the packaging is opened, the kosher certification of that product is no longer valid.The Kashruth Council of Canada reminds the consumer that this same principle applies to all non-certified stores selling ice cream, smoothies, and other similar products. As always, we suggest that consumers patronize establishments that are fully certified by a reliable kosher agency.
In light of New York State’s budget facing a nine billion dollar shortfall and Governor David A. Paterson having indicated that he intends to make major cuts in the Kosher Law Enforcement division, the kosher consumer is urged to call the Governor at his Albany office: Call 518-474-8390; write to: Governor David A. Paterson, State Capitol, Albany, NY 12224 and email to: [email protected]
Rabbi Yoseph Herman reports that the harvest of the Chodosh crops is somewhat behind usual schedule but the harvest of oats has begun. There was still no reported harvest of spring wheat or barley. His current updated estimates for package packing dates are as follows: Oats-Jul 26, Wheat (not pasta) and barley-Aug 9, Noodles and Pasta-Aug 15, Freshly-baked bakery products- Aug 9 in the Midwest, Aug 15 elsewhere. Note that even for oats, it is very unlikely that you would see any Chodosh oats products on the store shelves before August.
Some 12-pack boxes of Greenseas Sweet Chilli Tuna and some 12-pack boxes Greenseas Tomato and Onion Tuna bear an unauthorized OU. These products are not certified by the OU and were distributed in Australia. Corrective measures are being implemented.
Please be advised that some JELL-O Strawberry Cheesecake Snacks recently produced by Kraft Foods were incorrectly labeled with an OK-D. The OK does not certify this product due to the fact that it contains gelatin.
If you have purchased this product and would like a refund from Kraft Foods please call the 800 number on the package.
Many consumers are under the impression that various locations of Red Mango stores around the country, including Chicago and Evanston, are certified by the cRc.
Please be aware that the cRc certification given to any product being sold at these stores is only valid for product in its original factory sealed containers. Once the packaging is opened the cRc kosher certification of that product is no longer valid. The cRc does not presently certify any of the Red Mango stores.
This same principle applies to other similar stores selling ice cream and frozen yogurt. As always, the cRc suggests that the consumer patronize establishments that are fully certified by a reliable kosher agency or Rabbi.
Please note that Piyaz Restaurant (189-23 Union Turnpike, Fresh Meadows, NY) and Falafel Kitchen (186-15 Union Turnpike, Fresh Meadows, NY) are no longer under
the Vaad of Queens.Green Goddess Thousand Island Dressing,Harvest Fresh Sunfield
Please note that the following Nature’s Path’s products are now OU certified: Flax Plus Vanilla Almond Granola, GingerZing Granola, Heritage Bites Cereal, Optimum Rebound Cereal, Organic Dark Chocolate Chip Chococonut Granola Bars, Organic Sweet & Salty Peanut Buddy, Organic Yogurt Lotta’ Apricotta, Pomegran Plus Granola, Whole O’s
This is to advise that Le Jardin Special Event Centre and Banquet Hall
is no longer a COR certified banquet venue. The COR does welcome the following establishments which are now under COR certification: The Kitchen at Grodzinski, L.A. Basket Creations, Howie T’s Burger Bar
The London Beis Din is newly certifying Royal Legacy of 1745. The London Beis Din is also now certifying Single Malt McClelland’s Lowland and McClelland’s Speyside. However, the following are not certified: McClelland’s 12 Speyside, McClelland’s Islay, McClelland’s Highland.
The Chicago Rabbinical Council has started “tweeting” on Twitter (www.twitter.com/crckosher) some of their common daily questions. Below are some of the most recent “tweets” that will be helpful for the kosher consumer:
1. Canned vegetables require certification. For our Fruit and Vegetable Guide see http://bit.ly/arkTaU about 19 hours ago via TweetDeck
2. Pet food may not have milk and meat together, but may have fish and meat together. To see Evanger’s Certificate see http://bit.ly/dkvZjj about 19 hours ago via TweetDeck
3. Concentrated juices without flavors or colors are acceptable from any source. See our Juice List at http://bit.ly/JuiceLst about 21 hours ago via TweetDeck
4. The cRc website has a list of cRc certified gluten free foods! See http://bit.ly/GluteFree about 21 hours ago via TweetDeck
5. 2 new Slurpee flavors R not certified kosher : Horchata Ole`, Orange Bang Smoothie. For our updated Slurpee list see http://bit.ly/SlurpLst about 22 hours ago via TweetDeck
6. Approx up 2 which date poses no concern 4 Chodosh: oats arnd 7/15;wheat arnd 8/1;Noodles/pasta 8/15;Barley 8/15. Barley malt (beer)12/15. about 22 hours ago via TweetDeck
7. Dairy Glenn brand milk does not have a cRc on the label, but it is made in a cRc facility and therefore certified kosher. about 22 hours ago via TweetDeck
8. its recommended that vitamins be certified kosher. For kosher info on glucosamine & chondroitin see http://bit.ly/GlucCndrt about 22 hours ago via TweetDeck
9. Dough used for pies or cakes requires hafrashas challah just like dough used for bread about 24 hours ago via Tweed webOS
10. Seaweed for sushi with no added flavors under no hashgacha is recommended when checked for seahorses, and other possible marine life. 12:38 PM Jul 26th via web
11. Salmon whose only other ingredients are color and or salt is recommended without certification. For Kosher fish info:http://bit.ly/KshrFish 12:35 PM Jul 26th via web
12. In general, glass cannot be kashered, but in extenuating circumstances one should consult with a Rabbi 1:35 PM Jul 23rd via Tweed webOS
13. Vitamin D made from sheep-based lanolin can be kosher, even though it is taken from a living animal 11:45 AM Jul 23rd via Tweed webOS
14. Chicago Zmanim 7/23/10: Plag Hamincha 6:46pm, Candle Lighting TIme 7:58pm, Sunset 8:18pm 9:23 AM Jul 23rd via web
15. Brewed, unflavored, black coffee served in a disposable cup, can be bought in a non-certified store (sweetener & creamer must be certified) 7:35 PM Jul 22nd via Tweed webOS
16. Ground flax seed does not require certification 2:54 PM Jul 22nd via web
17. Vermouth requires certification since it is made from wine. For more information seee our Kosher Liquor List at http://bit.ly/LiquorLst 1:59 PM Jul 22nd via web
Kashrus Updates from Israel:
Only Koshered/Treibered Meat Permitted for Sale:In a move that is painfully overdue, the Chief Rabbinate of Israel has released a ruling bringing to an end of the sale of meats that were slaughtered in accordance to halacha, but not treibered (de-veined) or perhaps not soaked, salted and soaked. In either case, such meat may not be eaten ‘as is’.
In too many cases, persons unfamiliar with this reality did not understand labeling or even look to understand and G-d forbid cooked and ingested forbidden meats. Alternatively, some people who understand the status are ignorant to the proper halachic procedures to render the meat edible.
The new regulation demands compliance by 1 Tishrei 5771 (Rosh
Shatnez in Walgreen Slippers: A pair of slippers that was purchased at Walgreens for five dollars. R’ Yitzchok Selmar (North Miami Beach) tested them and found that the external fabric contained both wool and linen.
Shatnez in Lady’s Suit and Wristlets: R’ Aaron Drebin (Flatbush Shatnez Laboratory) found an A-K-R-I-S lady’s suit that had a matching wristlet. The actual suit was entirely shatnez-free, however the wristlet was made from wool and linen.
To receive email kashrus alerts, send your name and email address to: [email protected]
Alerts are compiled from kashrus agencies’ websites; Kashrus magazine; Kosher Information Bureau; Jerusalem Kosher News www.jerusalemkoshernews.com – [email protected], Shatnez Laboratory; and from the Guide to Chodosh (Rabbi Yoseph Herman), and Kashrut.com http://www.kashrut.com/Alerts/
brand Cut Baby Corn in 106 oz. cans (6lbs 10 oz), distributed by Inteco, bear an unauthorized Star-K. Corrective action is being taken.produced by E.D. Foods, is certified “OU-Pareve,” even when bearing the “OU-D” symbol on the label.brand canned Red Beans & Rice, produced by Choice Foods of America in Nashville, TN, is made with authentic Chef Paul’s Magic Seasoning Blends spices. The Magic Seasoning Blends logo appears on the Southgate label.