BICHASDEI HASHEM: Child Critically Injured By Deranged Homeless Man Is Recovering At Home


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

YWN was asked to publish the following message by the Portnoy family:

“Avraham Yirmiyahu ben Chaya Toba” was Bichasdei Hashem released from the hospital on Sunday evening – just before the beginning of Yom Tov.

He is Boruch Hashem slowly recovering, every day making small steps towards a full recovery. He still has a very very long road to fully recovery – But he is B”H on the right path.

Please keep him in your Tefillos.

As YWN reported, a deranged homeless man walked over to the 6-year-old child and slammed his head into the concrete. He was arrested by the NYPD shortly after.

Police say the suspect – Laurance Gendreau – is emotionally disturbed. The 35-year-old faces multiple charges, including assault and harassment. Gendreau has a long criminal history, including a bench warrant out for his arrest.

Just before 5 p.m., the 6-year-old was outside with his 10-year-old brother waiting for pizza, when police say Gendreau approached.

Surveillance video show Gendreau shirtless walking two blocks away down Metropolitan Avenue. Trailing behind him is the boy’s grandfather, who was on the phone with 911. Moments later, police arrested Gendreau.

*****SIGN UP NOW —- GET YOUR NEWS IN RECORD TIME***** Make sure you are one of the more than 22,000 that signed up to YWN WhatsApp Status to receive news in live time. Click this link – or send a message to 1-888-4-YW-NEWS (888-499-6397) – to see our status posts*****

Police say on Wednesday, Gendreau was on nearby Union Turnpike and Austin Street, where he allegedly snatched an iPad from an 87-year-old woman and ran off.

But records show Gendreau shouldn’t have been on the street at all. In January, he allegedly had an argument with employees at a Popeye’s restaurant on Lexington Avenue and 26th Street in Manhattan and he threw a chair, inadvertently hitting a 72-year-old woman.

At the time, the judge determined he was not a flight risk, and he was released on his own recognizance. A bench warrant was issued in February when he didn’t show for his next court appearance.

There are three sealed arrests dating back to 2017 for criminal mischief and larceny.

(YWN World Headquarters – NYC)