More than 20 people were injured in a fire in a Queens home, Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was in 147-07 72nd Drive near main Street, in the Kew Gardens Hills section of Queens. The FDNY reports that there are around 22 patients, one of them with serious injuries. They were treated by Hatzalah and FDNY. Queens Hatzalah had numerous ambulances on the scene, as well as ambulances from Hatzalah of Rockaway-Nassau.
Sources tell YWN that there was a daycare in the basement, and that the patients are all children – including the patient with serious injuries.
Additionally, sources tell YWN that the fire started from a lithium-ion battery in the basement of the home.
Failed lithium-ion batteries, which power things like E-bikes, scooters, cell phones and more, have been the cause of many fires. Overheated or defective batteries can catch fire or even explode, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). FDNY officials said in September 2022 that at least 150 fires had been started by the devices in New York City that year.
The NFPA recommends never charging a lithium-ion battery overnight or leaving a battery on the charger after it’s fully charged. Batteries should be kept at room temperature, should be stored away from other flammable materials, and should not be charged under a pillow, on a bed, or on a couch.
(YWN World Headquarters – NYC)