Menorah Causes Fire in Kiryas Tosh; Family Escapes But Apartment Destroyed


A fire started by a Menorah destroyed an apartment in Kiryas Tosh (Boisbriand) on Friday night. Bichasdei Hashem, there were no injuries.

The fire started at around 9:15PM in the basement at 351 Beth Halevy Street.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze, which was brought under control at around 11:00PM.

The basement apartment was totally destroyed, and the first floor suffered smoke and heavy water damage.

Thankfully, there were no injuries reported, as Hatzolah Volunteers were on the scene in seconds and assisted all occupants out of the home.

35 firefighters from four cities were on the scene.

(Chaim Shapiro – YWN)


  1. For this reason alone basement apartments must be built legally before moving in a family.
    Illegal basements generally do not have an egress window nor do they have a fire/smoke barrier between the ceiling and the upper floors

  2. Oyy! Perhaps we should keep fire extinguishers near the Menorahs/ Chanukiyot and Shabbos Candles. The danger always exists and the solutions are available without waiting for such tragedies. Last week our neighbors decided to do a barbecue on their porch and used a blow dryer to hasten the heating of the coals, sending sparks in every direction including nearby garbage and trees. Ve Nishmartem MeOd Et Nafshotaynu must be first and foremost.