Father of Drowned Ashdod Infant Released, Mother Awaiting Conclusion of Investigation


The gag order on the case of the infant who was found dead in an Ashdod jacuzzi and whose parents were suspected of murder, was lifted on Sunday at the behest of the father’s attorney Nadav Gedaliyahu.

During the incident, the mother of the infant told the first responders who arrived that the infant had slipped, fell into the jacuzzi and drowned. After police suspected that the mother’s version of events didn’t add up, they detained the mother for questioning and the duration of the investigation. Later, they also detained the father of the infant for his suspected involvement in the affair.

Following a request made by the police, the Ashkelon magistrate’s court issued a gag order pertaining to the identity of anyone involved in the case. On Sunday, the court removed the gag order.

The police requested an autopsy be conducted on the infant’s body, however, the family as well as the Zaka organization protested the request. The High Court of Justice granted the police request and the boy was examined via autopsy. After an inconclusive search, the operating surgeon consulted with another doctor and determined that the cause of death was indeed drowning.

The mother is being remanded until this Tuesday, and the father is being remanded until tomorrow. During a meeting held with both spouses and the police, the father was able to prove his lack of involvement in the incident, and thereby lessened the suspicions against him. The police then released the father on Sunday and the court removed the gag order.

The Prosecuting Attorney’s statement is expected in the coming days with regards to issuing an indictment against the mother. “It is only natural that we cannot yet talk about the case, as police are still investigating the matter with regards to suspected involvement of my client”, said one of her lawyers in a statement they issued to the press.

(YWN Israel Desk – Jerusalem)


  1. Such a tragedy whatever the findings regarding the parents’ possible role in the child’s “drowning”. Sadly, these situations happen with all too often frequency and typically involve mental health problems rather than some fundamentally evil intent.

  2. Read the article again: “the boy was examined via autopsy. After an inconclusive search…”
    If the autopsy was so vital, why was it inconclusive? It didn’t tell anything more than the CT and MRI that had already been performed. Not just inconclusive but superfluous and most likely malicious. (Read up on the history of Abu Kabir to understand better.)
    These situations are usually a result of side effects to psychiatric medication, not to supposed mental health problems.