Close this search box.

What Took So Long to Respond to the Initial SOS Call?

mishChannel 2 News confirms that timeline that has many asking “What took police and other authorities so long to act?”

The emergency dispatcher received the cell phone call at 22:25 stating “we were abducted” and then the call was cut off. A police patrol was dispatched to Alon Shvut Junction in Gush Katif, arriving only an hour later. The patrol reported it did not find anything odd and that was it until between at least 04:00 in the morning, hours after the kidnapping, that things began to move.

Walla News reports that Shaar and Frenkel left their yeshiva in Kibbutz Kfar Etzion at 22:00. They notified their parents that they are on their way home to Talmon and Nof Ayalon and that they are trying to hitchhike in the direction of Beit Shemesh. At 21:40 Yifrach spoke with a friend and told him that he is waiting for a ride to his home in Elad.

At 03:00 the father of one of the boys arrived in a police station and reported they lost touch with Shaar and Frenkel and fears something has occurred. A command center was set up but the IDF did not receive the information until about 04:00. Shai (Shomron-Yehuda) police received information from yeshiva officials and one of the parents phoned to file a report. Only during the early morning hours was the disappearance of the youths treated as a kidnapping.

The critical hours immediately following the kidnapping were lost as officials did not properly address the information received from different sources.

Channel 2 News reports that police responded to accusations of failing to act in a timely fashion, stating “The information is passed to the ISA (Israel Security Agency – Shin Bet) and the IDF to act”.

It is feared that during this time period the terrorists may have had ample opportunity to transport the hostages to Gaza, Sinai or elsewhere.

(YWN – Israel Desk, Jerusalem)

16 Responses

  1. As soon as the call saying they were abducted was cut off rescue units should have been mobilized. They could have, at the very least, pinged the cell phone for a location. Also, taking an hour for police to arrive is ridiculous. They really dropped the ball on this one.

  2. Unbelievable, they know such things could happen, and they happened already, then they get such a frantic phone call and treat it like a prank call?!

  3. It’s a good bet that had a call come in from an arab that his shed had graffiti on it, the police would have been there in 3 minutes flat and every kipa-wearing youth for a mile around would have been detained. The Left has destroyed the fiber of the government. HaShem Yerachem!

  4. I heard this last night and I have to say; someone has blood on their hands and has got to pay for this. They only sent out troops and search and rescue when the father came to the poice station begging?!?! Israel has completely lost its face. Caring about the world and worrying about profiling and red tape. These children are either dead by now or are being tortured ike gilad shalit.

  5. Once, again the Israeli police prove themselves in front of the entire world as being useless, incompetent, and inept; way to go guys!! At this rate you can be mistaken with any third world police force in any third world country keep up the ‘good’ work!

  6. I agree with everyone above! Unfortunately we are VERY used to this CORRUPT POLICE SYSTEM. A few weeks ago on Friday night people broke Shabbos to call the police about a shooting in Ramat Shlomo and again it took a LONG TIME till they showed up!! Call the police and say a charedi man is bothering you on the bus and THEY WILL BE THERE IN SECONDS!!
    Of course everything is in Hashems hands but we need to do Histadlus. We do look before we cross the street and we don’t take class trips to Ramalla.

  7. geshmak:
    SO so so so true!!!!!! for those living here; we know how quickly the police respond to any “discrimination” against arabs. They arrive with dogs, horses, trucks and their guns…. for the littelest of things. If someone has a robbery they know to say: that a jew broke into an arab’s house cus then the police arrive. Otherwise they never come.

  8. We don’t know how often they get false alarms that sound like this. Maybe even to distract them from some other crisis they don’t know about. If 9 times out of 10 such a call is a prank and this was one of them, and it turns out that they missed something else super important because they spent too much time pursuing this one, people would be all over them for being stupid. Remember that the article states that the initial responding patrol did not find anything odd.

  9. That area is basically chareidim which is the majority of settlers, is the neglect to respond the attitude against chareidim ????

  10. Geula,
    Gilad Shalit wasn’t tortured physically, but these boys could be worse off chas veshalom. Let’s hope and pray that they are returned safely.

  11. The only one of the commentators above that makes sense is Pinny.

    Why not pull a sefer Tehilim and say a perek or two for our boys (for the ones missing, as well as for the ones searching for them)? That would make a רושם.

  12. The article has a major states,'”A police patrol was dispatched to Alon Shvut Junction in Gush Katif, arriving only an hour later.”. This is Gush Etzion not Gush Katif(in Gaza). Is this the road(367) that separates Kfar Etzion,where 2 of the boys yeshiva is located, from Alon Shvut or were they on the main highway of Rt.60? The other boy(19) is from the Shavey Hevron Yeshiva, was he abducted separately near to Hevron? There are many questions that go unanswered, until we know more we should not hurl accusations and remember we are all in this together

Leave a Reply

Popular Posts