The IDF Gush Etzion Brigade Commander is working to prevent additional terror attacks in the area, which has been hit hard during the ongoing wave of Islamic terror. This is especially true at Gush Junction, a major hub for commuters connecting to area yishuvim as well as traveling to Jerusalem and the Hebron areas. As a result, an emphasis is being placed on the junction.
Some of the steps being taken that are shared with the public include:
· Placing soldiers from an elite unit at the junction
· Separating the entrance to the adjacent Rami Levi supermarket complex
· Checking residents of nearby Arab villages as they leave those villages
· Taking over a number of buildings critical to providing security in the problematic areas
· A more aggressive proactive operation to apprehend and arrest rock-throwers
Some of the steps that will be taken to accomplish the above include:
· Separating Arab and Jewish vehicle heading to the junction from the south (Hebron district)
· Separating Israeli vehicle heading from the north (Jerusalem, Efrat) towards Gush Jct to minimize the possibility of a vehicular ramming attack
· A new lookout tower at the junction to provide soldiers with a picture of what is taking place further away from the junction
· Setting up inspection areas between the junction and some of the area communities including Kibbutz Kfar Etzion.
The photo shows the new observation tower for soldiers that was placed at Gush Junction on Wednesday morning 13 Kislev.
(YWN – Israel Desk, Jerusalem / Photo: Medabrim Tikshoret)