Motzei Shabbos News Round-Up from Israel


A rocket was fired from Gaza at Israel on motzei Shabbos. Red Alert sirens sounded in the communities in the Gaza periphery as residents once again rushed for cover. According to an IDF spokesperson the rocket landed in an open field in the Sdet HaNegev Region and no damage or injuries were reported.

IAF planes bombarded a warehouse in Damascus near the airport according to Syrian reports. While the planes all returned to base safely, Syrian news agencies reported that Syrian air-defense systems destroyed eight targets in the air over the capital.

Syrian media reported that the airport has returned to full operation. Syrian opposition reported that the attack was aimed at destroying a warehouse that contained missiles that belong to Hezbollah.

At the beginning of Shabbos, security forces neutralized a terrorist who was attempting to carry out a stabbing attack at an IDF post near the Givat Avot neighborhood of Kiryat Arba.

Security forces also captured the terrorist cell that carried out a shooting attack last Motzei Shabbos near the town of Migdal Oz in Gush Etzion. The IDF captured the terrorists and their cache of weapons with which they carried out the shooting attack.

Security forces on the Gaza border neutralized a terrorist who was participating in the weekly violent protests along the border and threatened the lives of soldiers on patrol in the area. One soldier was lightly injured in the violence when a large stone was hurled at him. He was transported from the area to receive medical care at the hospital.

More than 13,000 people participated in the protests this week that included the burning of tires, stone throwing, throwing improvised explosive devices and hand grenades at security forces, as well as other violent actions.

IAF helicopters targeted Hamas watchtowers in response to the violence and the rocket attack over the course of Shabbos and afterwards.

A woman was lightly injured in a stone-throwing attack that took place near Tekoa in Gush Etzion on Friday evening. In a separate attack on Highway 443, a molotov cocktail was thrown at a Jewish car passing near Modi’in. Luckily no one was hurt in the incident.

A man in his 20’s was killed after his car flipped over on Highway 8544 north of Carmiel in the Galilee. Two other people were injured in the accident.

A man in his 60’s was found beaten and unconscious in an apartment building in Ashdod. EMS teams from Magen David Adom and United Hatzalah who responded were forced to pronounce his death at the scene.

A 20-year-old woman, who is presumed to be a tourist in Israel, was electrocuted to death after she climbed an electric pole in Rishon LeZion. The Fire Department pulled her corpse down off of the pole.

Thousands of people toured the natural parks throughout Israel as the weather turned much warmer than it had been earlier in the week. Hundreds headed for the Hermon where skiing was open. Israeli police closed down the Mapal Sa’ar intersection due to the throngs of visitors heading to the Hermon.

Rabbi Nachum Alschwang, one of the older Avreichim in the Ponevezh Yeshiva passed away over Shabbos. The Avreich was 85 years old and died suddenly. He still kept up his normal learning schedule even though he had become far weaker in recent months.

The Admor of Zvhil, Rabbi Shlomo Goldman, began feeling badly during Shachris on Shabbos. He was treated by United Hatzalah volunteers and then transported to Har Hazofim hospital where it was revealed that he had suffered a mild stroke. He is currently in stable condition.

(YWN Israel Desk – Jerusalem)