California: Suspected Chabad-House Bomber Pleads Not Guilty

2

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

A transient suspected of setting off a large explosive device outside a Westside synagogue pleaded not guilty Monday in Los Angeles federal court to multiple felony charges in connection with the incident.

A grand jury indictment accuses Ron Hirsch, 60, of four federal felonies: use of an explosive to damage property, use of an explosive to commit a federal felony, use of a destructive device during and in relation to a crime of violence, and possession of an unregistered destructive device.

If convicted of all charges, Hirsch could face up to 70 years in federal prison.

Hirsch is believed responsible for the April 7 blast that sent a 300-pound metal pipe encased in concrete crashing through the roof of a home next to the Santa Monica Chabad House on 17th Street near Broadway.

No one was injured but the debris crashed through the bedroom ceiling where a 12-year-old girl was sleeping, according to a federal court affidavit.

Authorities at first said no foul play was involved in the blast but later determined explosives had been used.

A federal search warrant said Hirsch purchased three 11-pound bags of a “demolition agent” on April 1 in Clovis. The package was sent to Hirsch at a Santa Monica address, a link that was established by a receipt found at the scene, officials said.

READ MORE: LA TIMES




2 COMMENTS

  1. the truth is ive spoken with people from the community

    they have alot of rachmanus on him but the truth is i think if you let him go he will do it again he is a danger how do you deal with this sort of threat